Options

Advice please ladies

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
Forum Member
I am looking to buy my partner a bracelet for her 21st. I am looking to get her something for under £100. She has told me that she would like a silver one but with not too much to it such as charm bracelets which was my original idea. I want to get her one that will last a while and can be something special to her. When I asked her to look for ones she liked she picked this one
http://www.johnlewis.com/joma-daisy-chain-inifinity-bangle-silver/p1612115?sku=233871811&kpid=233871811&s_kenid=42c4155c-17fe-2be8-3b27-0000369a5b59&s_kwcid=106x68458&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=233871811#page_loaded
I'm not sure if this would be any good or not. I feel she is only looking for relatively cheap ones which will end up not lasting.

Which are the best places to get a really good bracelet but without paying crazy money for a brand?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiffanys.....
    You might not stretch to a bracelet but will certainly be able to get a Tiffany heart on a chain.
    Tiffanys is classic and always loved and treasured. I wear mine on a leather thong (my daughter broke the chain years ago) and never take it off. It means the World to me.
    They have a website (sorry posting from phone so can't link for you just Google) and a store in,London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Are Beaverbrooks still a good jeweller? There is a nice silver three row bracelet on their website for £50. Have a browse on their website.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Don't the youngsters like Pandora these days? They are fairly reasonably priced. And with the added benefit, it comes in a Pandora's box.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Silver By Mail have some lovely bracelets and bangles.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    Don't the youngsters like Pandora these days? They are fairly reasonably priced. And with the added benefit, it comes in a Pandora's box.

Pandora is outrageously overpriced and charge you £4o for something you can buy elsewhere for £5...

...if it was me i'd go to an actual silversmith and see what they could offer me in my price range, there are plenty of websites for silversmiths that have beautiful unique designs which would be far nicer than some generic stuff from a franchise.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're right the one she picked out won't last.

Links are a reliable brand.

And I also think this Cachet one is pretty.

John Lewis will repair or replace if there's a fault, so it's a good place to buy.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    Pandora is outrageously overpriced and charge you £4o for something you can buy elsewhere for £5...

...if it was me i'd go to an actual silversmith and see what they could offer me in my price range, there are plenty of websites for silversmiths that have beautiful unique designs which would be far nicer than some generic stuff from a franchise.

Personally, I'd buy second hand, and the older the better. I merely remark they are trendy. And really not that expensive.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've asked her what she'd like and she's told you what she'd like, will she not think it's a bit peculiar if you don't buy her that one?
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Another vote for links of London. I have the 'sweetie' and love it. I think you can get them for under £100 and then for birthdays and Christmas you could always buy the charms to put on it if your stuck for ideas. That's what my family do!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    If you've asked her what she'd like and she's told you what she'd like, will she not think it's a bit peculiar if you don't buy her that one?

This. You like what you like! If she likes that one then it doesnt make sense to buy a different one.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    azalea wrote: »
    Another vote for links of London. I have the 'sweetie' and love it. I think you can get them for under £100 and then for birthdays and Christmas you could always buy the charms to put on it if your stuck for ideas. That's what my family do!

Basically this. The Links 'sweetie' bracelet is great and within budget.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually the bracelet is £150. Must have gone up since I bought my wife's one 7 years ago. Here's some that ARE in budget:

http://www.linksoflondon.com/gb-en/online-shop/women/bracelets#filterPrice=1+-+100&Color_Silver=1
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    i bought this one for my daughter. It's beautiful, classic and timeless. I think a lot of the 'trendy' 'popular' bracelets go out of fashion and will end up shoved in the bottom of a jewellery box. Go for something timeless (IMO)

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/herseysilversmiths/product/sterling_silver_bangle
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id get a gift that will last as long as your relationship will.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Bibi Bijoux or Ortak have some nice pieces. Folksy and etsy have some gorgeous and unique silver and gemstone designs.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    . I merely remark they are trendy. And really not that expensive.

i realised that :) and i was merely advising andyscott83, who from the opening post hasn't much experience in the area of ladies jewellery, that franchised jewellery, such as Pandora, is very overpriced and you can get the same or better elsewhere for a seventh of the price....i hadn't intended to offend you.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be really cautious about buying jewellery for someone unless you're very sure of what they like. I'd also recommend etsy.com for something unique.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bought this one for my daughter. It's beautiful, classic and timeless. I think a lot of the 'trendy' 'popular' bracelets go out of fashion and will end up shoved in the bottom of a jewellery box. Go for something timeless (IMO)

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/herseysilversmiths/product/sterling_silver_bangle

Not on the High Street has some lovely stuff. She has pointed you in the direction of the one she likes. If you think that is too cheap I would try and find something in a similar vein. I would avoid the Pandora ones and the sweetie style ones. If she liked those styles she would have pointed you in the direction of that style. Pandora and the sweetie style are ubiquitous, perhaps she prefers a bit of originality.

Etsy is good, but you have to buy carefully, and make sure you buy from a UK seller so that you avoid customs charges. Etsy can be a bit homespun. I have bought a lot from both sites.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is so pretty, I might treat myself one of these days.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about taking her to a local jeweller's and looking through some jewellery together? That way you can feel the quality of the pieces and she may just see something else she prefers. The bonus being you can gently persuade her if you feel that she's just looking at the "cheap" stuff to keep your costs down. Make an occasion out of it :)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Tiffanys.....
    You might not stretch to a bracelet but will certainly be able to get a Tiffany heart on a chain.
    Tiffanys is classic and always loved and treasured. I wear mine on a leather thong (my daughter broke the chain years ago) and never take it off. It means the World to me.
    They have a website (sorry posting from phone so can't link for you just Google) and a store in,London.

My wife goes mad for Tiffany jewellery, especially their diamonds. I bought her a necklace with a small diamond cross pendant on it last Christmas.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

That is really pretty and classy. Some of the others that have been linked are a bit naff. You can't go wrong with a simple, classic design like this.

I love Not on the High Street!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    That is really pretty and classy. Some of the others that have been linked are a bit naff. You can't go wrong with a simple, classic design like this.

I love Not on the High Street!

Only problem is its nothing like the gf had picked out!

I can understand the op wants to buy something special, but surely if she likes something then thats it? Or is he going to turn round and tell her that her tastes are cheap and tacky in his opinion?

Good luck with that op :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's lovely. I might get that for my girls.

Op I've got Links and Pandora stuff and never wear it. It's sitting in my jewelry box getting dirty and tarnished because everyone is wearing it. Just saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    My wife goes mad for Tiffany jewellery, especially their diamonds. I bought her a necklace with a small diamond cross pendant on it last Christmas.

I don't know a woman who doesn't melt at the sight of a Tiffany box. Their design is timeless and unique. And any of their pieces will be loved for a lifetime imho.