Justin Beiber tells fans to "Shut Up" at Concert

Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was in Manchester the other night, and of course Justin Beiber was playing at the O2 arena, and you know what the traffic in Manchester is like, so of course I was stuck in traffic for absolutely ages, wondering what was going on, then I passed nearby the O2 area, all these teenage girls screaming and shouting on the street. I've never seen anything like such love for a man...

Anyway, Justin Beiber politely asked the screaming girls to "be quiet" as they were still screaming when he was trying to perform his songs. The audience then booed him at his request.. He then dropped the mic and walked off stage...

This has happened at his other shows too. He must get pretty fed up sometimes when he can't be heard because people are screaming.

Anyway, I think he did the right thing, do you?

Comments

• AlyalAlyal Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    It's a bit of a catch 22 really for him, yes he wants his fans to love him but he also wants his fans to have fun. If I was at a concert and someone was screaming none stop I wouldn't be very happy. The screamers risk alienating the non screaming fans.

Walking off stage though is a bit childish and typical of his behaviour which for some reason his fans love him for. Think some of the 'Beliebers' are as crazy as he is
  • Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately like with anything you will get certain idiots who don't behave appropriately, like these stupid screaming fans.

On the other hand I don't think Justin should have reacted like that. I can understand why he gets frustrated but acting like a diva isn't going to help the situation, I say this is a massive fan of his music.

But I think he still has a lot of growing up to do over the next couple of years.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been a fan of Justin, but for once, I have to agree with him. You would think that everyone would be quiet while their favorite is up there singing or saying whatever they have to say in between the songs. In my opinion, waiting until they are done would be the polite and respectful think to do. Its not every day that a person has their favorite right there in front of them any way, so why let your voice get in the way of that when you can hear yourself any time?

God bless you and Justin always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. Hopefully he did take the time to explain why he had such a request if it ended up being taken the wrong way.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Gawd it's like The Sex Pistols and Bill Grundy all over again
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Him first.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never been a fan of Justin, but for once, I have to agree with him. You would think that everyone would be quiet while their favorite is up there singing or saying whatever they have to say in between the songs. In my opinion, waiting until they are done would be the polite and respectful think to do. Its not every day that a person has their favorite right there in front of them any way, so why let your voice get in the way of that when you can hear yourself any time?

God bless you and Justin always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. Hopefully he did take the time to explain why he had such a request if it ended up being taken the wrong way.

given the number of people who go to gigs and spend the whole time talking to their mates these days, I don't think people think like that at all any more, sadly.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not every day that a person has their favorite right there in front of them any way, so why let your voice get in the way of that when you can hear yourself any time?

Nothing new. The Beatles stopped touring almost exactly 50 years ago, in significant part because they couldn't hear themselves above the noise of their teenage fans screaming, to the point it was turning them into bad (live) musicians.

(Bear in mind that it was even worse for the Beatles. Amplification technology back then was incredibly primitive and limited compared to the setups we associate with stadium concerts today).
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Same thing happened to me, at a Black Eyed Peas concert. They kept chanting "Shut up just shut up shut up" so I walked out in disgust.
  • yviebabeyviebabe Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member
    Millions of years ago I went to a Scott Walker concert, and he began by asking very politely if we would restrain from screaming whilst he was singing. Everyone complied, we just went berserk between songs. Job done.
  • RoesiaRoesia Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Bieber started out as a tweenie bopper pop star and has only recently tried to go all "serious artist"...he was always going to have this problem where his fanbase don't mature with him.

I always feel a bit sorry for him because he had too much too young, and because of the way his parents are he never stood a chance anyway in terms of not being screwed up but he is such an almighty arsehole the sympathy is running low. He seems like he would do better to take a really long break from music/fame or quit altogether. It seems to be making him completely miserable and he's never going to get his fans to be what he wants them to.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me, at a Black Eyed Peas concert. They kept chanting "Shut up just shut up shut up" so I walked out in disgust.

I'd have walked out in disgust when they started singing "Shut Up" too... or indeed, any of their other godawful songs. >:(
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once saw Irish singer Juliet Turner at The Borderline, there were several people in the crowd nattering away and not paying any attention whatsoever until she stopped the show mid-song and said how she'd really been looking forward to playing London again "but you people over there (pointing) are just totally spoiling it for me and everyone else here, so please just shut the f*** up", which was met with loud cheering from the rest of the audience.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I don't encourage swearing, but I applaud that person for calling out to those who were creating problems. To me, they couldn't have any more of a right to do such a thing when they are the reason for the gathering in the first place. I read about a few singers in country music doing it when they notice something wrong happening out there in the crowd, Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert, and Toby Keith that is.

God bless you and them and your favorite always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,678
    Forum Member
    I'm the last person to tend to agree with Bieber on something. But honestly people who go to gigs and specifically avoid paying whoever's up on stage due respect deserve whatever punishment they get.

You get it all the time at rock gigs these days. People just nattering away constantly to their mates as if they were at the pub, people actively trying to make themselves be heard OVER the band on stage, or even people just sitting on their phone looking at their facebook feed for hours on end seemingly wanting to be anywhere else.

I recently travelled out to Stockholm, Sweden to see a rock band named Volbeat who can only be described as Danish Metallica. Anyway, I thought the band performance was top notch and I honestly couldn't fault the music. BUT directly in the seats in front of me (I was seated so couldnt move positions unfortunately), were this gaggle of girls just taking endless selfies for the ENTIRE 3 hour long concert. They literally did not stop holding their camera in the air, striking different poses and - at times - literally blocking off my view of the stage just so they could take their 784th selfie.

I don't understand it. If you pay that much money for a gig ticket, the least you could do is watch the bands performing. Or at least don't be such a prick as to actively affect the enjoyment of the people around you.
  • Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I saw Justin in Dublin the other week and hand on heart - he couldn't care about his fans any more than he does. He got up close and personal with us, sat at the edge of the stage and sung his heart out.

The problem is people treat him like a possession, or a zoo animal, rather than a human being. God bless Justin for challenging the dark world of fame - unfortunately some people will be too quick to judge and won't look under the surface.

Here are 2 videos I took from the gig I went to :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBR5UleE8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZA4FW71jgM