• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    seems very unlikely to me....
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Well I am left handed and I never had to consciously hold it a particular way and I never got the problem - although I could reproduce the problem by pressing a finger tightly across the join, but not at all a normal thing to do. As I said, storm in a teacup and the sort of thing the media love, as long as it is Apple. You lot obviously have a short memory but other well known brands at the time were shown to exhibit the same "problem".

It wasn't a storm in a teacup so please stop saying it was. It was a huge problem apple ran from again to start with. Old stevie being an arse as usual, claimed people are holding it wrong because he couldn't understand there was a flaw in one of his products.. It was a bad design and i when holding one covered the join.

Everyone holds things differently and its not for you to say its not normal.

Other products did not do the same. They dropped a bit of signal since the antenna was enclosed and you were covering it. Every product does this including the iphone 5. The 4 dropped completely in most cases. To say that's not a flaw is just stupid. But then being an apple fan to the degree you are, you of course will say that as you have been!!
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it probably was a storm in a teacup.

If the problem is "how you hold it" and the solution is "hold it slightly differently" or "use a case", I disagree that it was a huge problem.

First world problems, as they say.

Its not like millions and millions of people returned their iPhones and stopped buying iPhones, because the simple task of making a phone call suddenly wasn't possible.

Hence, storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I think it probably was a storm in a teacup.

If the problem is "how you hold it" and the solution is "hold it slightly differently" or "use a case", I disagree that it was a huge problem.

First world problems, as they say.

Its not like millions and millions of people returned their iPhones and stopped buying iPhones, because the simple task of making a phone call suddenly wasn't possible.

Hence, storm in a teacup.

How did i know you would agree with him haha! :D

Its like the blind leading the blind here!! :D

So you agree with that halfwit jobs that people were simply holding it wrongly and they should hold it differently than they do any other phone ever made?

Jesus wept!!!..... :D Hahaha!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I didn't say they were holding it wrong. As you say, how people hold phones varies, so there is no right or wrong.

I said that if people were having problems, there were two pretty simple solutions, neither of which are much of an inconvenience.

For that reason, I disagree that it was "a huge problem".

As evidenced by the fact that millions of people managed to continue using the phones just fine, without any real problem or inconvenience.

Still, as usual, you've been too busy to find a post hysterical, but not really said what you disagree with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No - I didn't say they were holding it wrong. As you say, how people hold phones varies, so there is no right or wrong.

I said that if people were having problems, there were two pretty simple solutions, neither of which are much of an inconvenience.

For that reason, I disagree that it was "a huge problem".

As evidenced by the fact that millions of people managed to continue using the phones just fine, without any real problem or inconvenience.

Still, as usual, you've been too busy to find a post hysterical, but not really said what you disagree with.

Yes, millions with bumpers which they gave out free!!

It was a huge problem and one that apple did its usual and ran away from not commenting. It's funny isnt it i can hold any phone any way i like and never once had a problem. I hold an iphone 4 and the signal vanished!! But it's not an issue is it?
    but not really said what you disagree with

Why do you keep saying this nonsense? Is it your tagline or something? I have said what i disagreed with :confused: I disagree that it wasn't a huge problem.

Anyway, for lulz, I'll join in:-

Your to busy defending apple as always you havent said what you disagree with.

See how stupid that is now? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

Well it's rather stupid it is to say no other phone suffers it. It's the rules of physics ie you place a dense object in front of the antenna (hand held tightly) and it will suffer signal loss (depending on starting signal) or severe degradation.

Nexus 4 for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIy3dv2Ncq0

The antenna 'shorting' between bands, I never even saw on my 4, 4S or 5. Unless maybe if you were handling your phone wet.. who does that?? Death grip was as ever with anything Apple blown out of proportion hence the forced hand of the bumpers.

Apple extended the handback/refund period but hardly anyone actually did ask for a refund. Considering the millions upon millions of iPhone 4's sold (only just stopped being sold recently may i add) and the delays getting bumpers/covers out to those who requested, I would say it was definitely a NON issue.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

Where they giving away bumpers for free? How did i miss that one.
    I should have gone and said i could not get a signal. Apple bumpers are outrageously expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Where they giving away bumpers for free? How did i miss that one.
    I should have gone and said i could not get a signal. Apple bumpers are outrageously expensive.

In the states only oddly enough.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4389
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's rather stupid it is to say no other phone suffers it. It's the rules of physics ie you place a dense object in front of the antenna (hand held tightly) and it will suffer signal loss (depending on starting signal) or severe degradation.

The antenna 'shorting' between bands, I never even saw on my 4, 4S or 5. Unless maybe if you were handling your phone wet.. who does that?? Death grip was as ever with anything Apple blown out of proportion hence the forced hand of the bumpers.

Apple extended the handback/refund period but hardly anyone actually did ask for a refund. Considering the millions upon millions of iPhone 4's sold (only just stopped being sold recently may i add) and the delays getting bumpers/covers out to those who requested, I would say it was definitely a NON issue.

Apple admitted that there was a design flaw - the exterior coating on the bands wasn't evenly applied, and on some units just touching at that point caused reduced signal. Hence they had to admit that there was an issue and hand out the bumpers.

Problem was that Apple then blew it out of all proportion by talking about the death grip, showing other phones suffering from the same problem (which was unrelated to the issue first seen on the 4). Any small radio transmitter will have reduced signal when blocked.

It was an issue.
    Apple admitted to it.

And none of this is related to someone being electrocuted by an iPhone, strange change in topic direction, but then this is the internet ....
  • Options
    Forum Member

I just tried that with my Nexus 4 and it doesn't do that!

Even if it did no one would hold it by the top. The way i hold a phone rendered the iphone 4 useless. Why should i change the way i hold a phone because apple made an arse of the design?

It wasn't a non issue whatsoever. It was one that affected millions of users hence the handback/refund policy and the free bumpers. Also you have absolutely no idea if people asked for a refund or not.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I just tried that with my Nexus 4 and it doesn't do that!

Even if it did no one would hold it by the top. The way i hold a phone rendered the iphone 4 useless. Why should i change the way i hold a phone because apple made an arse of the design?

It wasn't a non issue whatsoever. It was one that affected millions of users hence the handback/refund policy and the free bumpers. Also you have absolutely no idea if people asked for a refund or not.

You will argue it was an issue all day long and that only Apple products do it. However the average person doesn't care for your view and i know that you are wronf.

Millions affected.. really. Where is the evidence for that? Just because someone wanted a free cover (wasn't just bumpers) doesn't mean they had an issue.

Apple and various retailers published the data at the time about refunds. Also i was working for one of the networks who sold the majority of them in the UK..

Even tech bloggers and reviewers couldn't agree. Some said it was a problem, so said it wasn't so even stated they got more signal with a 4 over a 3GS even bridging the antennas....

'David Pogue, New York Times: "I've held the phone in the forbidden position maybe 25 times, in different locations, and I've only ever seen the bars drop twice. I think it's heavily dependent on where you are and how the signal strength is. (And once, I saw the bars go UP...)'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was a huge problem and one that apple did its usual and ran away from not commenting. It's funny isnt it i can hold any phone any way i like and never once had a problem. I hold an iphone 4 and the signal vanished!! But it's not an issue is it?

Why do you keep saying this nonsense? Is it your tagline or something? I have said what i disagreed with :confused: I disagree that it wasn't a huge problem.

Anyway, for lulz, I'll join in:-

Your to busy defending apple as always you havent said what you disagree with.

I never got a bumper, because I didn't seem to need one.

Did millions and millions of people really find that they could only make calls if they had a bumper?

Looking at your post, you went with:

"How did i know you would agree with him haha!"

and

Its like the blind leading the blind here!!

Not really saying much.

And then something about me saying they were holding it wrong.

Not quite what I'd said.

What I'd actually said was that if the problem only occurred if you held it a particular way, and that problem was solved by holding it slightly differently, then it wasn't as huge a problem as the media made out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's in the States only?

The free bumpers?

Don't think they were.

The link you posted doesn't seem to say it was either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You will argue it was an issue all day long and that only Apple products do it. However the average person doesn't care for your view and i know that you are wronf.

You only think you know as you cant see past that damn company. Its pathetic. How you can be so consumed by a company that don't give a rats arse about you is weird to say the least. I'm not wrong. It was an issue whether you like it or not.
    Millions affected.. really. Where is the evidence for that? Just because someone wanted a free cover (wasn't just bumpers) doesn't mean they had an issue.

Yes, it just became news for the sake of it didn't it? I men they pushed an update, extended the handback, settled class action suits etc for no reason didn't they?

I await your obvious whining about 'it only became news because its apple'.... I mean, its apple, they cant possibly have screwed up?

Have you got evidence to the contrary?...
    Apple and various retailers published the data at the time about refunds. Also i was working for one of the networks who sold the majority of them in the UK..

Of course you were.
    Even tech bloggers and reviewers couldn't agree. Some said it was a problem, so said it wasn't so even stated they got more signal with a 4 over a 3GS even bridging the antennas....

The 3GS antennas were inside the phone. You cant bridge them. The iphone 4/4S design was daft having them on the outside.
    'David Pogue, New York Times: "I've held the phone in the forbidden position maybe 25 times, in different locations, and I've only ever seen the bars drop twice. I think it's heavily dependent on where you are and how the signal strength is. (And once, I saw the bars go UP...)'

I can muster up hundreds of posts on the internet that says the opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's in the States only?

The free bumpers?

Don't think they were.

The link you posted doesn't seem to say it was either.

Ugh....

It was in the states as i tried to get one for the missus and they had none of it here citing it was in the states only.....

EDIT:- just had a look around and turns out they did eventually do them here free as well. They didn't when i asked however.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there an issue?

Yes.

No-one is saying there was no issue.

Was the issue blown out of all proportion by the media and on the internet?

Almost certainly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh....

It was in the states as i tried to get one for the missus and they had none of it here citing it was in the states only.....

EDIT:- just had a look around and turns out they did eventually do them here free as well. They didn't when i asked however.

I don't think it was that much longer - I remember having an app to order them, but never did, as I wasn't having any problems.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

Wrong. I took advantage of the free offer and because I already had a bumper I went for one of the alternative 3rd party products on offer from Apple. I hasten to add I didn't get a bumper because of any antenna problem, simply because I always do protect my phones in a case.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Definitely storm in a teacup, and as someone else has said a first world problem.
    There is a real problem with the iPhone 4 however, and that's the glass back that has a tendency to shatter as soon as you look at it.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Not content with defending the present scandals and crimes against consumers it seems some people wish to rewrite history it is laughable .......... or very very worrying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Wrong. I took advantage of the free offer and because I already had a bumper I went for one of the alternative 3rd party products on offer from Apple. I hasten to add I didn't get a bumper because of any antenna problem, simply because I always do protect my phones in a case.

If you bothered to read you will see i corrected myself.

Anyway, it wasnt right away as i tried to get one for the Mrs 4 and was told no. Also was told no to the money back they got in the states.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no rewriting of history.

There was an issue with the antennas, which was blown out of all proportion by the media and on the internet.

The return rates for the iPhone 4 were about a third of the returns for the 3GS. And according to wiki, 0.55% of customers complained about it.

So for more than 99% of owners the problem wasn't important enough to complain about it.

So yes - it was a storm in a teacup, and blown out of all proportion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no rewriting of history.

There was an issue with the antennas, which was blown out of all proportion by the media and on the internet.

The return rates for the iPhone 4 were about a third of the returns for the 3GS. And according to wiki, 0.55% of customers complained about it.

So for more than 99% of owners the problem wasn't important enough to complain about it.

So yes - it was a storm in a teacup, and blown out of all proportion.

Yeah of course. You correct and everyone else is wrong as always. Same in the other thread.

However, again you are way wrong. It was a big deal. It was a design flaw which caught people like us out that lived in a low signal area already which apple turned a blind eye to. It was only after god knows how many complaints they had to do something. The media picked it up since it was a flaw and apple ignored it and that arse said to someone they were holding it wrong! Apple are their own worst enemy sometimes.

I don't understand the logic of you iusers defending a company who gives not 2 hoots about you. I'm glad i never turned into one of them.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah of course. You correct and everyone else is wrong as always. Same in the other thread.

However, again you are way wrong. It was a big deal. It was a design flaw which caught people like us out that lived in a low signal area already which apple turned a blind eye to. It was only after god knows how many complaints they had to do something. The media picked it up since it was a flaw and apple ignored it and that arse said to someone they were holding it wrong! Apple are their own worst enemy sometimes.

I don't understand the logic of you iusers defending a company who gives not 2 hoots about you. I'm glad i never turned into one of them.....:rolleyes:

I thought you bought an iPhone 4S?