Lady Gaga - Joanne (Album Thread)

Comments

• Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I've listened to parts of the leak and so far I'm underwhelmed. Ayo I quite like, and also John Wayne but Dancin' in Circles is a bit of a let down considering it was the clip I was most excited by. Sinner's Prayer is ok, not blown away just yet. I still don't like PI and I think Million Reasons is a bit middle of the road. I haven't listened to anything else yet but I'll do so tomorrow when I have more time. I can totally appreciate she's going for something different with this album and wants to show other sides but I'm just not drawn to that many of the songs.
    When BTW came out I was obsessed for ages and played it to death, but I don't think that will happen with this one sadly. I could be wrong, just my first impression of the tracks I was most grabbed by after the 30sec snippets.

I too have played the Born This Way album to death, and still play it now! its like a completely different artist. Gaga has become intent on not appealing to the masses, and doing something completely different, i suppose she should be respected for that, but frankly i do not care and want the old Gaga back >:(
    Everything i have heard so far from Joanne sounds like a rejected Demo (and to be fair even Gagas demo's have been amazing) but these sound like lackluster ones. I quite like A Million Reasons though.
  • AlexvnderAlexvnder Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree at the moment with the first few posts on here. There's only two songs I'm still undecided about and that's Come to Mama and Hey Girl with Florence. CTM seems a tad forgetful and the duet is lacklustre.

Dancin' in Circles, Angel Down, Diamond Heart, John Wayne in particular are great!

A-Yo is her 2nd single which I enjoyed too but I really hope Dancin' in Circles is the 3rd!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got around to listening to it

The album makes me feel empty. They really do feel like a bunch of rejected demo's to echo Aura.

But you know what. Fair play to her. She's done an album she wanted to do and I admire anyone who does something very different. Sadly this isn't for me.
  • max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Haven't heard it yet, but from going on various forums it seems like Gaga has ditched her usual pop sound for a more stripped back, retro feel, am I right in saying that?

I'd say so but there's one or two tracks that are pop- Dancin' In Circles springs to mind.

It's a solid album imo
  • Skittle BombSkittle Bomb Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the weakest thing she has ever released. Half of the songs sound like demos and the rest just ....

I'm not really sure what she has tried to go for here. I get the impression she tried to pull off a Lana Del Rey sound only Lana is one hell of an incredible song writer whereas Gaga just isn't.

Very disappointed. If I had sum the album up it would be 'Trying too hard'. She does sound great vocally though but she cannot write a decent hook to save her life. She is missing Red One like crazy. Its very clear he was the hit maker now.

As for Mark Ronson saying this was the best stuff he has ever done... whats that sound? oh just Amy turning in her grave! :eek:
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the weakest thing she has ever released. Half of the songs sound like demos and the rest just ....

I'm not really sure what she has tried to go for here. I get the impression she tried to pull off a Lana Del Rey sound only Lana is one hell of an incredible song writer whereas Gaga just isn't.

Very disappointed. If I had sum the album up it would be 'Trying too hard'. She does sound great vocally though but she cannot write a decent hook to save her life. She is missing Red One like crazy. Its very clear he was the hit maker now.

As for Mark Ronson saying this was the best stuff he has ever done... whats that sound? oh just Amy turning in her grave! :eek:

Did he really say that?!:o
    Back To Black will go down as one of the great classic albums.....I don't see Joanne going down the same route. He is entitled to his opinion I guess but I'm shocked he rates Joanne more than Back To Black.

As for Ayo being the second single......ughhhhh>:(
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm puzzled as to why she went in a country direction? A lot of the people working on it like Mark and Florence come from more of a alternative rock/indie direction and aren't country musicians.

The country thing is going to limit it's appeal anywhere outside of the US. If she went in more of an alternative rock direction, that would be more appealing to me and have broader appeal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna be blunt: Back To Black went down as an iconic album etc the day Amy died, as with most artists who have died, their albums are automatically seen as "timeless" or "groundbreaking".
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna be blunt: Back To Black went down as an iconic album etc the day Amy died, as with most artists who have died, their albums are automatically seen as "timeless" or "groundbreaking".

I wholeheartedly disagree.
  • Jon411Jon411 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    This album is bizarre in that it's really not what you would expect from Lady GaGa but then again things got so over the top and rediculous durung the Artpop era that it's nice to see her try something different and tone things down even if I'm not in love with it.

There's some pleasant tracks but that is as far as it goes for me - it may become a fanbase favourite more so than a commercial big seller but fair play to her if this is what she wanted to do, it may grow on me over time.
  • cosmic.68cosmic.68 Posts: 72
    Forum Member

No, just no.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I'm puzzled as to why she went in a country direction? A lot of the people working on it like Mark and Florence come from more of a alternative rock/indie direction and aren't country musicians.

The country thing is going to limit it's appeal anywhere outside of the US. If she went in more of an alternative rock direction, that would be more appealing to me and have broader appeal.

Because she wanted to..? This record may be partly 'country' but it's country done by Gaga and IMO it works really well. Mark Ronson was never gonna be involved with a 'straight' country album... and I disagree, it will be popular all over, not just in the US! It's nuts to think that it won't just because she's done a couple of country ballads.

A few of the tracks are growers rather than instant hits. Including Sinner's Prayer and the title track, Joanne, which I love. Basically a little acoustic number written by Gaga and Mark, something you could never expect her to do, which is what makes it so great. Why make The Fame pt.2 or Born This Way pt.2? She's already done those records.

In a way I wish Perfect Illusion wasn't on here cause it doesn't particularly fit in with the rest of the record... but at least it's decent. Gaga's vocals are brilliant across the whole thing. Florence sounds good on their duet as well. Though that song, Hey Girl, is probably the weakest. It is Elton John's Bennie and the Jets... I don't mind it sounding like Elton but I wish it was more interesting, especially with Florence on it.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually...listening to Hey Girl again and appreciating it more. XD The whole record is a grower, I guess. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Just listened to it. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's nice to hear more of Gaga's real singing voice and less gimmicks (she's a great singer and I think she went OTT during Artpop) but at the same time it doesn't have that classic 'Gaga' vibe to it like TF/M or BTW did. It'll be interesting to hear the deluxe tracks though. Just have to wait til Friday to hear them. I guess it's a grower of an album rather than an instant hit one though.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really awful. Can't believe so many good collaborators were wasted on this.

The strange thing is that I've said for a long time the best thing she could do is strip back her sound and remind people she can write decent songs. Sadly she did the first part, but not the second.

What this means for her career, I don't know. Can big popstars get away with 2 underwhelming albums in a row in this day and age?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nah. I'm not a fan, but that album was highly praised as soon as it came out.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always amuses me when Pop fans call songs 'growers' when they have only been out for 48 hours. Almost as amusing as them calling pop albums 'their most personal' and 'cohesive' :)
    Forum Member
    Just listened to it. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's nice to hear more of Gaga's real singing voice and less gimmicks (she's a great singer and I think she went OTT during Artpop) but at the same time it doesn't have that classic 'Gaga' vibe to it like TF/M or BTW did. It'll be interesting to hear the deluxe tracks though. Just have to wait til Friday to hear them. I guess it's a grower of an album rather than an instant hit one though.

Artpop sold well though. For most artists it would be considered a success, but because Gagas previous records sold exceptionally well in comparison it was seen as a 'flop'.
    I think Joanne will be her first poor selling album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly disagree.

Great
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Always amuses me when Pop fans call songs 'growers' when they have only been out for 48 hours. Almost as amusing as them calling pop albums 'their most personal' and 'cohesive' :)

Prove it
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prove it

Why do you require proof it amuses me?
    Forum Member
    She's done a whole album worth of songs with Red One apparently, but only one made Joanne, called 'Angel Down'. Which reviewers are saying is the best song.
    Can she just not release the red one album as well :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    She's done a whole album worth of songs with Red One apparently, but only one made Joanne, called 'Angel Down'. Which reviewers are saying is the best song.
    Can she just not release the red one album as well :D

Not strictly true

Angel Down is on the album but is produced by Mark Ronson.

The version of Angel Down on the deluxe ('Angel Down Work Tape') is the RedOne version.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the next lot of material we will hear from Gaga, will most likely be A Star Is Born Movie Soundtrack. So i can't wait for that.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This album has actually really grown on me. I feel like it is really Gaga - the signs were always there with Brown Eyes, Speechless, You & I, Dope etc

Diamond Heart is a good album opener although the lyrics seem dark 'some asshole broke me in, wrecked all my innocence' and i think Joanne is beautiful. The pain in her voice is palpable, and this song speaks to me a lot as i lost my Dad a few years ago when I was 16. John Wayne and Dancin' in Circles are awesome and I've even come round to Come to Mama which I really hated at first. Angel Down is about Trayvon Martin and the BLM movement and I think works beautifully as an album closer.

I haven't heard the deluxe version songs yet, but apparently Grigio Girls (about her friend with stage IV cancer) is beautiful. I don't think this will be my absolute favourite Gaga album but I do think it's good and I'm enjoying it far more than i originally anticipated. It's an album that needs time I think.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    This album has actually really grown on me. I feel like it is really Gaga - the signs were always there with Brown Eyes, Speechless, You & I, Dope etc

Diamond Heart is a good album opener although the lyrics seem dark 'some asshole broke me in, wrecked all my innocence' and i think Joanne is beautiful. The pain in her voice is palpable, and this song speaks to me a lot as i lost my Dad a few years ago when I was 16. John Wayne and Dancin' in Circles are awesome and I've even come round to Come to Mama which I really hated at first. Angel Down is about Trayvon Martin and the BLM movement and I think works beautifully as an album closer.

I haven't heard the deluxe version songs yet, but apparently Grigio Girls (about her friend with stage IV cancer) is beautiful. I don't think this will be my absolute favourite Gaga album but I do think it's good and I'm enjoying it far more than i originally anticipated. It's an album that needs time I think.

Oh god I don't like any of those songs if that what's the album is like I might prioritise mel c and listen to this in a few weeks time instead.

Sorry to hear about your dad btw