Options

Matt Cardle: One Direction and JLS are puppets

Comments

• Options
    Shannon_BurnettShannon_Burnett Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Mercier wrote: »
    Find it yourself dear, it's all out there.

In other words, you have no sources. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again the gap between what's real, reported and Chinese whispers is massive. There's a difference between renting, being put up in a million pound pad by your company, being mortgaged and owning outright.

And it's specious to claim that artists are more protected now, if anything it's harder for recording artists than ever. And how do you think five boys are protected? They only person protected is Cowell, everyone else in the equation is an amateur.

First all the boys have moved out of the apartments rented by the label. They've all either bought poperties or are renting in some of the most expensive areas in London.

I never said all artists are protected now, but the 1D boys definitely are. You don't become a global phenomenon and not get protection. They were smart enough to seek financial advice and they created a company that actually manages their finances. The same goes for JLS, who actually made the young people's rich list this year. I have no doubt 1D will be on the next list.:)
  • Options
    superseasquirtsuperseasquirt Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also co-wrote all the songs on her album, unlike Credible Cardle.

Another artist from that series who has sold better globally than Matt is Cher Lloyd. Definite absence of puppetry in her case.

Funny isn't it how he only compares himself to 'boybands' rather than solo artists when he's a solo artist himself. Are Leona and Alexandra supposed to be puppets as well? Joe McElderry?

Of course those sales would count toward UK platinum certification...of which there is no evidence for Letters despite claims to the contrary. It's easy to search on the BPI website:

http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx

The most recent figures quoted in Chi's music thread here on DS put Letters sales at 271,000. I think they were around 268,000 six months ago. If the pace is maintained that would make it a platinum seller in about five years' time. :p

I find a lot of these comments very rich coming from someone who is quite happy to, shall we say, fabricate facts herself. It was my deleted post on which you wrote a work of fiction in the poll comments. I was happy to see that both your creative writing and my reply to it were both eventually deleted. This is not a personal attack but a statement of fact.
    We all know that 300,000 albums need to be shipped, not sold, to qualify for platinum status, so the album did indeed go platinum. Albums bought in the UK but shipped abroad don't count as UK sales, neither do Irish sales, so it's that likely total sales are around 300,000. ( I can't find any figures for the non UK sales.)
  • Options
    FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Find it yourself dear, it's all out there.

Aha, but oddly you can't quote it. So why should I believe a word? Of course a majority of the profits are never going to go to 1D, there's recording costs, writing royalties, promotional costs and yes (shock horror) Syco profits to cover. But there again it's a business, if there were no Syco profits they wouldn't bother doing it. Personally I have no evidence (you know the real provable stuff as opposed to opinion) that Syco are any better or worse than anyone else in the trade. Provide me with those facts and I shall change my mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again a reality check needed Westlife had a 14 year career and sold nearly 50 million records worldwide. One Direction have sold a considerable amount sure and I'm not saying they haven't made some money, but you can bet the vast majority of all profits are property of Sony Syco.

Of course the label is making the bulk of the money, they're the ones taking the risk and putting up the investment money.

But you're wrong in thinking the boys are making pennies. Between the touring and the endless amount of merchandise they produce and sell, they're all millionaires now.

Evidenced in the fact that every single one of them have either already bought are in the process of buying million dollar (pounds) properties.

When they first started out, they set up a corporation for themselves (and made themselves the head of) to manage their money. They're all gonna be quite comfy once the gravy train ends. No, they will never be Simon Cowell rich, but they'll be set up for life.

Of course, they could piss it all away if they want, but they are by no means suffering in the income department.

ETA: Here's an article stating they are already worth $50 million and are projected to double that in the next year.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1687496/one-direction-hundred-million-dollar-business.jhtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a lot of these comments very rich coming from someone who is quite happy to, shall we say, fabricate facts herself. It was my deleted post on which you wrote a work of fiction in the poll comments. I was happy to see that both your creative writing and my reply to it were both eventually deleted. This is not a personal attack but a statement of fact.
    We all know that 300,000 albums need to be shipped, not sold, to qualify for platinum status, so the album did indeed go platinum. Albums bought in the UK but shipped abroad don't count as UK sales, neither do Irish sales, so it's that likely total sales are around 300,000. ( I can't find any figures for the non UK sales.)

I think the problem is even though Cardle announced that he had gone platinum, he has not been recognised by the Official charts company as a platinum selling artist.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH, you sound like you're making a personal attack which is against the T & C. :)

And what on earth would One Direction fans have to be bitter about?

Yes I am. :)

As what to be bitter about? Well, they didn't actually win their series of The X Factor, Matt Cardle did. That literally makes them losers. Or perhaps I'm wrong, they're not bitter, just condescending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    I think the problem is even though Cardle announced that he had gone platinum, he has not been recognised by the Official charts company as a platinum selling artist.

These things often take a while to come through. When We Collide had sold a million quite a while before it appeared on the official list.( I can't be bothered to check the exact timescale but it was about a couple of months.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I am. :)

As what to be bitter about? Well, they didn't actually win their series of The X Factor, Matt Cardle did. That literally makes them losers. Or perhaps I'm wrong, they're not bitter, just condescending.

Oh yes, Matt Cardle won the talent show. Released his album, got dropped, like Steve whatshisface.

1D came 3rd, Won a Brit, got a number 1 UK single. Became the first UK group in history to debut at number 1 on the Billboard chart. Sold 12 million records in less than a year. Sold out worldwide tour in minutes. Sold out Madison Square Garden in minutes. Won 3 VMAs, performed at the Olympics to billions. Number 1 album in over 20 countries.

Just last week the next album went to number 1 preorder in 48 countries, became the fastest preordered album in history....should I go on?;):cool: oh yes they're losers for not winning the X Factor Lol!:rolleyes:!:D:D
  • Options
    chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member
    we can all relax - it was a misquote :p

Matt Cardle ‏@matt_cardle_uk
    Amazing day today!! Thankyou so much for all the love. Just for the record.Misquoted earlier. I think the boys are amazing. All of them xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, Matt Cardle won the talent show. Released his album, got dropped, like Steve whatshisface.

1D came 3rd, Won a Brit, got a number 1 UK single. Became the first UK group in history to debut at number 1 on the Billboard chart. Sold 12 million records in less than a year. Sold out worldwide tour in minutes. Sold out Madison Square Garden in minutes. Won 3 VMAs, performed at the Olympics to billions. Number 1 album in over 20 countries.

Just last week the next album went to number 1 preorder in 48 countries, became the fastest preordered album in history....should I go on?;):cool: oh yes they're losers for not winning the X Factor Lol!!:D:D

Well they didn't win the X-Factor so CLEARLY they're "losers". :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amazing day today!! Thankyou so much for all the love. Just for the record.Misquoted earlier. I think the boys are amazing. All of them xx

But he does this all the time. He is always backtracking. He would get more respect if he stood by the crap he always comes out with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or he's just back tracking because he got a virtual beat down by several million hyper emotional teens in about 20 different languages..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snuffles22 wrote: »

I know.:D It must really still be bugging them.:D
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just last week the next album went to number 1 preorder in 48 countries, became the fastest preordered album in history....should I go on?;):cool: oh yes they're losers for not winning the X Factor Lol!:rolleyes:!:D:D

"Steve whatshisface"? You're just proving my point. Childish.

Those facts mean nothing to me. I care more about the attitude. Hopefully the band's attitude is nothing like their fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snuffles22 wrote: »

I don't think you can say they are losers. They've done very well.
    I'd gone away but came over here again when I saw this but I see Chosen has already posted it. I'll post it again nevertheless

I think we can put the quote down to sensationalist journalism.
  • Options
    sorlosorlo Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These things often take a while to come through. When We Collide had sold a million quite a while before it appeared on the official list.( I can't be bothered to check the exact timescale but it was about a couple of months.)
    Certification is granted by BPI, not OCC, and isn't automatic as application is required. I'll give you another example, singles need 600k to get platinum certification. OCC confirmed a few weeks ago that WWC has passed the 1M mark despite not being officially platinum certified - isn't that an anomaly?

I don't think you can say they are losers. They've done very well.
    I'd gone away but came over here again when I saw this but I see Chosen has already posted it. I'll post it again nevertheless

I think we can put the quote down to sensationalist journalism.
    Well, it has gotten a lot of JLS fans in hissy fits. :p
  • Options
    Mr Hunny BunnyMr Hunny Bunny Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A vile man.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wishful thinking. There is one and only one entity that confers platinum (or gold or silver) status for recording sales in the UK. That is the BPI. In the words of their website:

Certified Awards: The BPI presents certified awards for shipments of 60,000 (silver), 100,000 (gold) and 300,000 (platinum) albums as well as schemes for the singles and Music DVD markets. The awards highlight the success of British record labels and the artists they represent.

As mentioned in my previous post, it is a simple matter to search BPI's certification listings at:

And guess what: no platinum certification for Letters.

Which means that Matt Cardle is lying in the Sunday Mirror, and his fans are lying on DS. No two ways about it.

And as for it taking "a while to go through," the BPI makes it easy to see the most recent certifications--which include plenty of releases within the past six months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But he does this all the time. He is always backtracking. He would get more respect if he stood by the crap he always comes out with.

11 September is two days away, wonder if he'll be expounding on the Twin Towers again--then claiming he was "misquoted."

Such a loser.
  • Options
    sorlosorlo Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wishful thinking. There is one and only one entity that confers platinum (or gold or silver) status for recording sales in the UK. That is the BPI. In the words of their website:

Certified Awards: The BPI presents certified awards for shipments of 60,000 (silver), 100,000 (gold) and 300,000 (platinum) albums as well as schemes for the singles and Music DVD markets. The awards highlight the success of British record labels and the artists they represent.

As mentioned in my previous post, it is a simple matter to search BPI's certification listings at:

And guess what: no platinum certification for Letters.

Which means that Matt Cardle is lying in the Sunday Mirror, and his fans are lying on DS. No two ways about it.

And as for it taking "a while to go through," the BPI makes it easy to see the most recent certifications--which include plenty of releases within the past six months.
    No, it's not wishful thinking. You are really clutching at straws with your argument. Please, take a look at my previous post.

WWC has sold 1M (confirmed by OCC), yet it's still not has not been certified (silver, gold, platinum, whatever ...) - because an application hasn't been made - simples. The same rationale can be extended to Letters. It's been shipped 300k units and is eligible for certification.
  • Options
    madmoussemadmousse Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    A vile man.

Isn't he just?
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, what is his problem? People go on the X Factor to make a name for themselves really and to just earn money. It really doesn't matter how you do it, if you can earn money from it, then that is all that matters.

Does anyone think Jedward care? They have made so much money since X Factor.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always annoys me a little bit when people actually slag off contestants for going along with Simon Cowell etc. If you play it right with Simon Cowell, he can set you up for life and make you a very rich person.

That is what it is all about. Making the most of your opportunity and getting as much money as you possibly can.

There will come a time when One Direction aren't as popular as they are at the moment, they should try and make as much money now as they possibly can because once the fan base grows up, they will struggle I think to keep it going and they will eventually break up.

Simon Cowell gives ordinary people a chance, that is all it is. A chance to make some serious money. You would be daft to not take it. Steve Brookstein is a good example of this. He could have been a much richer person if he had just followed Simon and done what he said and got something out of it. All he is remembered for now is how bitter he is and his ramblings on twitter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    It always annoys me a little bit when people actually slag off contestants for going along with Simon Cowell etc. If you play it right with Simon Cowell, he can set you up for life and make you a very rich person.

That is what it is all about. Making the most of your opportunity and getting as much money as you possibly can.

There will come a time when One Direction aren't as popular as they are at the moment, they should try and make as much money now as they possibly can because once the fan base grows up, they will struggle I think to keep it going and they will eventually break up.

Simon Cowell gives ordinary people a chance, that is all it is. A chance to make some serious money. You would be daft to not take it. Steve Brookstein is a good example of this. He could have been a much richer person if he had just followed Simon and done what he said and got something out of it. All he is remembered for now is how bitter he is and his ramblings on twitter.

I agree :)