Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    What is ZHC

zero hour contract
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    jazzyjack wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how people can possibly think that people on benefits have a better quality of life or better standard of living than people who work. Just because someone has a Smart TV, an Ipad or a games console does not mean they have a good quality of life. Do people really look at those on 'Benefits Street' and think that spending all day smoking and drinking in a rundown house on a rundown street in Birmingham with no hope of it ever changing is a higher standard of living than they have? They must have very low standards.

If anything 'Benefits Street' should be opening people's eyes to just how low the standard of living is for those who are trapped on benefits and we should be addressing that, not moaning that we can't afford the same 'luxuries'. I'll take a living in a nice area and having prospects above the so called luxuries they have, thanks. I don't have an Ipad, but I certainly have a better quality of life than many who do. Gadgets are not an indicator of a good life.

Not just low standerds. Low confidence as well, I know mine right now is under 50 feet of crap
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it is easier to pick on benefit claimants

Precisely. It's easier to make someone comply if you threaten to take their benefits away which they rely on to live than chase after some rich person for unpaid taxes.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    zero hour contract

Oh I see
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Take away someone's benefits, they go get a job.

Take away a super rich person's ability to avoid huge and unfair tax bills, risk losing investment in the country.

One is a benefit for the country. One is detrimental.

Which one would you concentrate on?

Why is it 'unfair'?
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just low standerds. Low confidence as well, I know mine right now is under 50 feet of crap

I meant the workers had low standards of what constitutes a good quality of life, not the claimants!

I was on benefits as a single mum 10 years ago and I can categorically state that there was nothing luxurious about it, we couldn't even afford a basic standard of living.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I hear people, sometimes on here where they've been going on about someone on benefits complaining that it's an outrage because such and such doesn't work and he's got a games console and an led tv in his house.

You get people which say things like, 'He/she doesn't work and has just gone away on holiday for a fortnight.'

This is a really unfair judgement of someone's financial circumstances. Nobody knows whether that tv is actually paid for. It might be on a hire purchase on low manageable repayments. It could have been purchased by a family member or it might be second hand. They could have spent many years saving up for it or maybe they dipped into savings which they bought it prior to being unemployed. It's totally unfair to claim that someone who's on benefits shouldn't be entitled to these things.

I've just heard a similar thing and it's just really annoyed me. Someone just mentioned that they'd booked a holiday for the summer and this benefit basher piped up and said, 'How can you afford to do that when you're not working? I suppose we're all paying for that are we?'

How the hell does this guy know his financial circumstances. For all he knows he could have savings or maybe he's been saving up for the last few years at a few quid a week or maybe a family member has helped them pay for it.

I really don't know why people think they automatically know a persons financial status just because someone happens to be claiming benefits.

I hear you there and I agree with most things you said :)

The only thing that I couldn't see as justifiable is how so many people claiming benefits can afford cigarettes and alcohol yet play the "poor me, the government don't give me enough" card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see

As I understand it these people on these contracts are classed as "employed" yet have no definite hours or idea of how much earnings they will be getting, how you are meant to plan and function financially, I have no idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is how people can possibly think that people on benefits have a better quality of life or better standard of living than people who work. Just because someone has a Smart TV, an Ipad or a games console does not mean they have a good quality of life. Do people really look at those on 'Benefits Street' and think that spending all day smoking and drinking in a rundown house on a rundown street in Birmingham with no hope of it ever changing is a higher standard of living than they have? They must have very low standards.

If anything 'Benefits Street' should be opening people's eyes to just how low the standard of living is for those who are trapped on benefits and we should be addressing that, not moaning that we can't afford the same 'luxuries'. I'll take a living in a nice area and having prospects above the so called luxuries they have, thanks. I don't have an Ipad, but I certainly have a better quality of life than many who do. Gadgets are not an indicator of a good life.

Excellent post. Thank you!
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Why is it 'unfair'?

Because it's not in proportion. People who earn a small amount pay 20% tax, higher earners pay a higher rate.

That's not fair and equitable.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I posted about this on page 5 and this seems to address every issue I raised to I'll reply. I do resent career benefit people who have no intention of getting a job but sit there on their ipad watching their 50inch tv. It's not my fault they choose to spend their money on gadgets rather than making their living enviroment better or cleaning their house. It's not like they don't have the time on their hands to do it so for me the statement about rundown dirty homes is nonsense why don't they spend the money on a lick of paint or cleaning products. I am allowed to be a bit peeved that I work and cannot afford luxuries yet they don't have no intention of ever doing so and can.

I am not bashing genuine benefit claimants. I am talking about those who enjoy not having to go to work and get as much as they can for nothing. My own Mum is on benefits and struggles and I help her as much as I can so I am aware not all benefit people are like those on benefits street. For a start my Mums house is clean. :D

Sorry it's page 3 Post 81.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's not in proportion. People who earn a small amount pay 20% tax, higher earners pay a higher rate.

That's not fair and equitable.

I am talking more of companies (not individuals) should companies be able to get away without paying hardly any corporation tax? They use the services that taxes pay for and profit from society but weedle their way out of paying their dues? is that fair?

Individuals aside, why should companies be able to swing it and not pay takes, when all us worker bees have to?

How can anyone be able to justify it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    I posted about this on page 5 and this seems to address every issue I raised to I'll reply. I do resent career benefit people who have no intention of getting a job but sit there on their ipad watching their 50inch tv. It's not my fault they choose to spend their money on gadgets rather than making their living enviroment better or cleaning their house. It's not like they don't have the time on their hands to do it so for me the statement about rundown dirty homes is nonsense why don't they spend the money on a lick of paint or cleaning products. I am allowed to be a bit peeved that I work and cannot afford luxuries yet they don't have no intention of ever doing so and can.

I am not bashing genuine benefit claimants. I am talking about those who enjoy not having to go to work and get as much as they can for nothing. My own Mum is on benefits and struggles and I help her as much as I can so I am aware not all benefit people are like those on benefits street. For a start my Mums house is clean. :D

If that's the case then why not give up work and go on benefits then you too can live this life of luxury 24/7?

I know the answer - it's because you have pride and want to pay your own way, but if you *really* believed they were living a better life than you wouldn't you at least consider it?

People (not you) always say things like, 'I wish I got paid to stay at home and drink and smoke and watch Sky TV all day'. I can't think of anything worse. To me, living like that is a serious indication that their lives are very poor indeed.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the case then why not give up work and go on benefits then you too can live this life of luxury 24/7?

I know the answer - it's because you have pride and want to pay your own way, but if you *really* believed they were living a better life than you wouldn't you at least consider it?

People (not you) always say things like, 'I wish I got paid to stay at home and drink and smoke and watch Sky TV all day'. I can't think of anything worse. To me, living like that is a serious indication that their lives are very poor indeed.

I envy the lifestyle of "luxury" items that career benefits claimants seem to achieve. I don't envy the genuine claimants who cannot find work and get rejected on a daily basis. You can see the difference.
    Forum Member

Good post, the government themselves have said more people in work then ever before. so why are more people going to work when they could be at home living a luxury life on benefits.
    Forum Member

it's because you have pride and want to pay your own way

I would love the chance to come off benefits and pay my own way, I envy those who work
    Forum Member
    I envy the lifestyle of "luxury" items that career benefits claimants seem to achieve. I don't envy the genuine claimants who cannot find work and get rejected on a daily basis. You can see the difference.

But if the lifestyle is so good then join them, and find the truth out that way.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    But if the lifestyle is so good then join them, and find the truth out that way.

I yes I love the life of bloody reily I live, non stop party my life is, really something to be envied, so are are the suicidal thoughts I am having on a daily basis
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Seems that FaithyH is making a clear distinction between genuine claimants and those who appear to be fiddling the system.

I may be wrong, but that is how I read her posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry it's page 3 Post 81.
    Not sure why you felt the need to bring ipads and tv's into it. Yet again the same old digs at people on benefits just because they happen to have things which you clearly resent them from owning. Sorry but you clearly have issues with people owning these things otherwise why would you even mention them?

Do you honestly believe that people on benefits can afford 50 inch plasmas and ipads just like that? Chances are these things have either been purchased by money already saved or bought them before they lost their job or paying for them on a long term interest free credit repayment plan or maybe they were Christmas presents from someone else. Maybe they fell off the back of a van but really the truth of it is, you have absolutely no idea how how they came by these things but if someone chooses to spend their benefits saving up for a luxury item rather than spend the money on keeping their house clean then that's up to them.

Incidentally how do you spot a career benefits person from someone who is on long term sick with mental health issues or someone with kids who can't afford to return to work until the kids start school? All these career benefit spotters should get a job as a psychic as they seem to be able to read minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Genuine question, how do you know if they are career benefits claimants? They might just be good at finding cheap second hand goods etc, have them left over from employment days. Is the way to tell none career benefit claimants because they are living in abject poverty?

I am not trying to be clever I just do not understand how people can pick out career benefits claimants, when they are all assessed and paid the same rates for each different benefit?

How do you know who is genuine and who is not?
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have issues with it as a 50" flat screen TVs and Xbox One's are not essential items. If you fall on hard times then you sell the items, and replace them with cheaper options. Freecycle has plenty of CRT televisions and older games consoles. Same with mobile phones, no one needs an iPhone, an old Nokia brick will do for the purpose of taking and making calls.

I'm all for helping people, but they have to show willingness to help themselves first and foremost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but my point is that owning luxury items (or more likely being up to your eyeballs in chronic debt due to buying items that at least make you feel that you are not at the bottom of the social pile) does not = good lifestyle. Lifestyle is about much, much more than technology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love the chance to come off benefits and pay my own way, I envy those who work

I am totally on your side TardisSteve, please don't take anything I say any other way. I was pre-empting the FM's answer and not in any way suggesting that people on benefits do not have pride.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    People have issues with it as a 50" flat screen TVs and Xbox One's are not essential items. If you fall on hard times then you sell the items, and replace them with cheaper options. Freecycle has plenty of CRT televisions and older games consoles. Same with mobile phones, no one needs an iPhone, an old Nokia brick will do for the purpose of taking and making calls.

I'm all for helping people, but they have to show willingness to help themselves first and foremost.

Even if they sold their items they would still be entitled to the same benefit though. They would just have more cash from the sale of their goods and why bother if they can budget their benefits well to be able to survive and keep their goods, until they are back on their feet?