UKIP councillor's bizarre homophobic rant

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    and that insult is getting old too, along with 'fruit cakes and loonies' and ' little Englander's'.... :blush:
    I didn't mean it as an insult.

It's more a description.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    How many people would hear of anything if it wasn;t reported in some way? :confused:

the local press would have sufficed, no need at all for it go national. Also why was this councillor never highlighted when he was a Conservative councillor? :confused:
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Innit weird how Ukippers are all about free speech, but also get really upset about being insulted?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the local press would have sufficed, no need at all for it go national. Also why was this councillor never highlighted when he was a Conservative councillor? :confused:
    Mr Silvester was the one that brought attention to it, firstly by flouncing off to UKIP when the Tories wouldn't piously follow his faith, and secondly by writing that letter in the first place.

Local papers feed stories to the nationals all the time. Why should this be any different? Because it shows UKIP up and you don't like that?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

The internet means news goes global these days. Nothing is kept local any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Innit weird how Ukippers are all about free speech, but also get really upset about being insulted?

who's getting really upset?, I love it when people use silly insults on threads, as it usually means they are losing the argument. Lets hear some more? :)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He didn't write a letter to a newspaper claiming that gay marriage legislation had brought down the wrath of God when he was a Conservative councillor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder does anyone have a list of homophobic or racist Con-Lab-Lib members? If that's the level we are going to descend to.

Diane Abbott is constantly labelled a racist on the Politics board. Perhaps you could start a thread about these other homophobes and racists rather than trying to change the subject to other parties in this one?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy is a moron and not worth the publicity he is getting.

This is the kind of bollocks you hear from bible bashers in the US every time there is a hurricane or some other extreme weather event.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »

I think they're just getting offended on other people's behalfs ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Mr Silvester was the one that brought attention to it, firstly by flouncing off to UKIP when the Tories wouldn't piously follow his faith, and secondly by writing that letter in the first place.

Local papers feed stories to the nationals all the time. Why should this be any different? Because it shows UKIP up and you don't like that?

yeah but they tend to be things like road traffic accidents or serious crimes, not some intolerant old guy writing into the readers letter page. Do you think it would have made the national press if the councillor had been an independent? I very much doubt it.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I think they're just getting offended on other people's behalfs ;-)
    That would explain it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with UKIP it has out grown itself. What started out as possibly an avenue for sensible debate over EU policy/ membership has grown too big and is filling spaces with ex fascists and old right wing dinosaurs that belong in the Victorian age.

The leader seems to love playing a character and taking the limelight and they have very little experience or much to offer..

Problem is in hard times people attach themselves to those they see as charismatic.

I find them a complete joke that do not know their arse from their elbow, I just wish other people could see through the smoke and mirrors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    He didn't write a letter to a newspaper claiming that gay marriage legislation had brought down the wrath of God when he was a Conservative councillor.

are you sure about that? I am pretty sure he was anti gay prior to joining UKIP. Maybe worth investigating?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you sure about that? I am pretty sure he was anti gay prior to joining UKIP. Maybe worth investigating?

Am I sure that he didn't write a letter claiming that gay marriage legislation brought the wrath of God down when he was a Conservative councillor? Yes, I'm pretty sure of that. He was, I understand, already in UKIP when the legislation was passed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah but they tend to be things like road traffic accidents or serious crimes, not some intolerant old guy writing into the readers letter page. Do you think it would have made the national press if the councillor had been an independent? I very much doubt it.
    Anywhere in England it would have done. That sort of Hellfire nonsense only gets ignored in Northern Ireland, where politicians are sort of expected to come out with it.

This victimisation complex is ironically all very Christian isn't it? The UKIP martyrs thrown to the wolves of Fleet Street. Mr Silvester must feel pretty happy about that at least.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    "....and on our left, ladies and gentlemen, we can see the arrogant complacency typical of the the liberal fraternity that predominated in the late 20th and early 21st Century (please don't touch, sir). It was the period when patronising the population was the order of the day, and people were repeatedly told that mass immigration and it's effects were all a figment of their imagination. Anyone who tried to dispute this was branded a social pariah, despite the opinion polls of the time showing it right at the top of peoples' concerns. The liberal clique, however, forgot that these people had ears and eyes. They could see for themselves, and they did not like what they saw. Some historians maintain that had the ruling clique not have shown contempt for public opinion, and not assumed they would never vote on this issue alone, the eventual tumultuous outcome for the country and the European Union might have been avoided."
    trevgo wrote: »
    Post 192.

Next....

As "a" gay, I have already explained that the fact they have the odd few nutcases and homophobes does not concern me in the context of the Euro election. If you believe 100% of the members and elected representitves of Labour, LibDem and Conservative parties are all warm and cuddly to homosexuals, then you are totally deluded. What's more, this UKIP fellow (who I have denounced several times as a fruitcake) is not "their MP". He is merely a councillor, and now a suspended one.

I doubt I would trust UKIP sufficiently to vote for them in a General Election, as I have also said. They can't do any harm in the EU parliament, but could in the country. That leaves me no other party to vote for, however, which pains me greatly.

Many on the left make the mistake of assuming gay people act like political sheep. They all have to be left inclined, and embrace immigration and multiculturalism. Some do, but a lot do not. Most are fully aware that a very high proportion of those who have been let into the country in the recent past are very religious, and not at all liberal. Gay people above all else, should be very concerned at the number of folk here who do not embrace the move to secularism and liberalism the country has made in my lifetime.

Quite the dichotomy here. I know you tend to jump from being pretty moderate to being really right-wing depending on whether you want an argument Trevgo but that seems like quite a switch to do it within one thread.

Typical and weak tactic to just point the finger and shout 'oh look, immigrants.'

I don't know why people seriously think that UKIP are going to be the solution to any of their problems. They're basically the hard right division of the Conservative party so they would simply act as such if they actually gained any power. I mean, do we really need another right wing alternative to the Tories when Labour basically fulfil that position.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Anywhere in England it would have done. That sort of Hellfire nonsense only gets ignored in Northern Ireland, where politicians are sort of expected to come out with it.

This victimisation complex is ironically all very Christian isn't it? The UKIP martyrs thrown to the wolves of Fleet Street. Mr Silvester must feel pretty happy about that at least.

It certainly doesn't. Unfortunately, our country is filled with religious loons who remain in power because elections are run on a sectarian carve-up rather than policy. While this means our LGBT community has to fight harder for recognition, that doesn't mean that these nutcases actually represent the views of the population.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Am I sure that he didn't write a letter claiming that gay marriage legislation brought the wrath of God down when he was a Conservative councillor? Yes, I'm pretty sure of that. He was, I understand, already in UKIP when the legislation was passed.

Farage claims differently:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10583740/Farage-criticises-media-over-Ukip-councillor-who-blamed-floods-on-gay-marriage.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    He's clearly mentally ill.

Obviously, he's in UKIP
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Quite the dichotomy here. I know you tend to jump from being pretty moderate to being really right-wing depending on whether you want an argument Trevgo but that seems like quite a switch to do it within one thread.

Typical and weak tactic to just point the finger and shout 'oh look, immigrants.'

I don't know why people seriously think that UKIP are going to be the solution to any of their problems. They're basically the hard right division of the Conservative party so they would simply act as such if they actually gained any power. I mean, do we really need another right wing alternative to the Tories when Labour basically fulfil that position.

No wonder I was confused :D
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with UKIP it has out grown itself. What started out as possibly an avenue for sensible debate over EU policy/ membership has grown too big and is filling spaces with ex fascists and old right wing dinosaurs that belong in the Victorian age.

The leader seems to love playing a character and taking the limelight and they have very little experience or much to offer..

Problem is in hard times people attach themselves to those they see as charismatic.

I find them a complete joke that do not know their arse from their elbow, I just wish other people could see through the smoke and mirrors.

He's like a panto baddie. It's ridiculous how much he loves the limelight. I don't believe for one sec he's in it for "the people" only for himself.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Silly old duffer.

Everyone knows it's God's punishment for us staying in the Satanic EU.

We never had this kind of weather before 1973.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is a moron and not worth the publicity he is getting.

This is the kind of bollocks you hear from bible bashers in the US every time there is a hurricane or some other extreme weather event.

Yeah, it also proves that logic is invisible to these people

God, helped to steer the Hurricane away from our city !!

But unfortunatly, the poor buggers a few hundred miles down the coast, got wiped out !!

Oh well, i guess they were all sinners !!! That explains it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no doubt that he held ridiculous, unscientific and downright crazy views when he was a Tory. However, he doesn't appear to have published them - and since both gay marriage legislation and the floods didn't happen until he was in UKIP, it is safe to say that he only wrote about them after becoming a UKIP councillor.