Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Although it is now down to Atlantis ratings.

Atlantis bombed down to 3.something in the overnights once it didn't have Strictly propping it up. Its final figure for episode 13 was sub 5m since it didn't appear in the top 30 for that week.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    On a broader note I do think the BBC are going to have to reconsider their strategy in this post-Call the Midwife slot. They've put Ripper Street and now The Musketeers there and neither has done especially amazing business which is somewhat disappointing given the size of the lead-in and for The Musketeers in particular that ITV aren't really catching fire in the slot. Might it be time for them to just give in and commission something that's a little more compatible with Call the Midwife? I can see the thinking behind The Musketeers and Ripper Street in the slot (both should appeal to a different audience than Selfridge on ITV) but I'm not convinced its working. Of course given how Ripper Street fared away from Call the Midwife maybe it is working.

Ripper Street averaged 6.8m last year and The Musketeers is up on that so I am not sure that your somewhat negative comment is completely justified. How many 6.5m+ dramas have BBC had on Sunday nights prior to them?
    Maybe the problem is 2 dramas back to back?
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Do you have a rating so far for Death In Paradise episode 3?

I only have live and final - can't do so far.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    But has it lost those viewers or have they taping and i-playering? The suggestion is that last weeks episode is consolidated with an extra 1.5 million which is very good.

Has Mr S dropped 1-1.5 million over the same period?

Show's needed to settle and it's not to everyone's taste i though the first episode was dull and haven't watched it again. If it can settle around mid-5 million overnight and consolidate in the 6-7 mill range it's not doing too bad considering it's a bit different from your usual Sunday fodder as well.
    Lower overnights lead to lower final figures. Episode 3 will see a drop. You don't always make up for the drop in overnights in timeshifting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    I only have live and final - can't do so far.

Okay. Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    There seems to be two different figures on here for Musketeers - 5.28 and 5.44... The latter makes it the 3rd most watched show of the night so makes quite a difference!

Further to the previous answer, Musketeers started at 21:03, so the full-slot figure of 5.44m includes some Midwife spillover and is therefore higher than the tape-checked 5.28m for 21:05-22:00.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    data for week ending 26th January 2014 now available on BARB website

enjoy!
    :)
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    But has it lost those viewers or have they taping and i-playering? The suggestion is that last weeks episode is consolidated with an extra 1.5 million which is very good.
    The first episode consolidated at 9.2 million. From what was said earlier in this thread episode two is at 7.5 million. If that's right the week-on-week drop is actually bigger there than the overnight figures.
    Has Mr S dropped 1-1.5 million over the same period?
    No. Excluding +1 Mr Selfridge has dropped about 600k across its run so far or about 13% of the episode one audience. Including +1 its dropped about 800k or 12% from episode one.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Ripper Street averaged 6.8m last year and The Musketeers is up on that so I am not sure that your somewhat negative comment is completely justified. How many 6.5m+ dramas have BBC had on Sunday nights prior to them?
    Maybe the problem is 2 dramas back to back?
    It averaged that with the consolidated figures but the overnights dropped below 5 million by the end of its run if I'm remembering rightly. Its certainly true that neither Ripper Street or The Musketeers has been a complete disaster in the slot (not yet anyway) but neither is particularly delivering on the promise of the rest of the line-up. And Ripper Streets numbers for series two seem to suggest that its a line-up that's potentially propping up shows the audience don't really have a lot of interest in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

enjoy!

Thanks Mike.

7.58m for episode 2 of The Musketeers and 10.83m for Call The Midwife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

enjoy!
    5.56 for Benefits Street
    2.62 for The Jump(Sun)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Mike.

7.58m for episode 2 of The Musketeers and 10.83m for Call The Midwife.

Which is excellent for both. BBC One currently have a great Sunday night line up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Atlantis bombed down to 3.something in the overnights once it didn't have Strictly propping it up. Its final figure for episode 13 was sub 5m since it didn't appear in the top 30 for that week.

There were reasons for the last few poor overnights but that was not my point. 3 episodes in Atlantis was around these levels overnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is excellent for both. BBC One currently have a great Sunday night line up.

That's good if The Musketeers holds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    It averaged that with the consolidated figures but the overnights dropped below 5 million by the end of its run if I'm remembering rightly. Its certainly true that neither Ripper Street or The Musketeers has been a complete disaster in the slot (not yet anyway) but neither is particularly delivering on the promise of the rest of the line-up. And Ripper Streets numbers for series two seem to suggest that its a line-up that's potentially propping up shows the audience don't really have a lot of interest in.

You say that as if the consolidated figures dont matter. Yes RS went under 5m overnight but the consolidateds were very good.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Big Brother: Latest Officials
    w/e January 26

Monday: 3.17m
    Tuesday: 3.16m
    Wednesday: 2.84m (clash with National Television Awards on ITV)
    Thursday: 2.96m
    Friday: 3.08m
    Saturday: 2.61m
    Sunday: 3.62m (new record for highlights show on C5)

Pity about the NTA's bringing down the average for the week (next year that might be worth avoiding with a 10PM showing). But for Sunday's episode to get within 70k of the launch show is clearly excellent.

Elsewhere though Five didn't do enough to capitalise on those big audiences night after night (the two exceptions being Helix which timeshifted heavily as expected to 1.85m and Autopsy which concluded with a very credible 1.90m). The digital channels are also down at the moment, especially 5USA. Five will be hoping C5+24 can help restore some of the share lost (launches tomorrow at 7PM).

www.barb.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are we expecting from DCI Banks tonight? Its not been anything but steady in the past and the War doc did quite well last week.
  • Options
    andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    could someone post the consolidated figures for ep2 of mr selfridge, please.
    Also, is it possible to post a breakdown for muskeeters, selfridge and ctm last night.
  • Options
    robbazarobbaza Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    could someone post the consolidated figures for ep2 of mr selfridge, please.
    Also, is it possible to post a breakdown for muskeeters, selfridge and ctm last night.
    Looking at barb.It looks like with hd and +1 included it was under 6m.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    robbaza wrote: »
    Looking at barb.It looks like with hd and +1 included it was under 6m.

Nearer 6.5m if it just missed the ITV HD top 10.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next weeks episode of The Musketeers is set in the australian jungle and the quartet of heroes are destined to eat horse's foreskins in order to survive. Viewers will get the chance to vote for the Musketeer they want to see lying in horse poo with maggots on their face and at the end of the episode one will go home.

Mr. Selfridge next week is set in a make shift house where everyone just sits around slagging each other off and getting to do challenges set by little sister. At the end of the episode one cast member, with the least amount of votes, gets to go home.

They might as well turn new dramas into reality shows, it might get people to watch them.

I am disappointed that The Musketeers dropped again, but hopefully, like Atlantis, it will settle down after episode 3. It will hopefully get around the 5.25-5.5m mark and consolidate to around 7m. TV needs quality drama like this.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not write off the DOI revival rumours.

Firstly, the main show is holding up OK at around 5.4 million. Not vast ratings but consistent and better than most other things and everything on ITV that night. Possibly better than the Musketeers by next week even.

The results are a write off against Call the Midwife, obviously. But what wouldn't be?

I am not at all convinced that Rising Star will do better here. Possibly worse. Yet another singing show after months of X Factor and at the same time as the resurgent Voice is on. Why is anyone going to care that RS has a bit of a gimmick. There has got to be singing show overload and RS is not going to kill off TV UK in my view when it is clicking with the audience. And will 8 million really watch two similar shows in one weekend? Not sure.

Plus there is a knock on effect of running RS before Britain's Got Talent. Weeks of singing followed by a show with admittedly more variety but also lots of singing.

RS needs to go anywhere but Jan - Mar in my view. It is not going to work as a replacement for DOI.

The rumours that DOI was not done for entirely started a year ago when Robin Cousins suggested an ordinary person team up with skaters type show - a sort of X Factor for amateur skaters. Auditioning in front of the ice panel might be fun!

I doubt just another DOI without Torville and Dean will return, but a new skating show. Possibly.

There are plenty of formats that might work, even if you must have celebrities. For instance a regional battle where celebs represent Scotland, Wales, the North West etc in a duels like they had this weekend. Or even a celebrity skating world cup involving different nations represented by celebs.

Some imagination and you can revive the skating format without it being DOI. One skating show v two or three other singing shows has got to have an edge over 3 very similar singing shows fighting for ratings.

That may be the question that ITV are wrestling with at the moment.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted the Musketees dropped yet again I thought it was great last night.

Considering how erratic ratings are for all terrestrial channels I am now in the belief that Barb data is flawed, I'm actually not buying into the continuing drop for the musketeers as anything other than problems with barb and its monitoring system, I know I have said it before but ratings have witnessed a huge decline in the past two years and the autumn/winter ratings have been utterly abysmal.

You expect three million during the summer in prime time especially on a Saturday nights but on the dark nights there is no rhyme or reason why productions are doing badly. Maybe it's about time Barb looked to fixed terms for households with monitoring equipment. Something is missing and it's not viewers.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not write off the DOI revival rumours.

Firstly, the main show is holding up OK at around 5.4 million. Not vast ratings but consistent and better than most other things and everything on ITV that night. Possibly better than the Musketeers by next week even.

The results are a write off against Call the Midwife, obviously. But what wouldn't be?

I am not at all convinced that Rising Star will do better here. Possibly worse. Yet another singing show after months of X Factor and at the same time as the resurgent Voice is on. Why is anyone going to care that RS has a bit of a gimmick. There has got to be singing show overload and RS is not going to kill off TV UK in my
    view when it is clicking with the audience. And will 8 million really watch two similar shows in one weekend? Not sure.

Plus there is a knock on effect of running RS before Britain's Got Talent. Weeks of singing followed by a show with admittedly more variety but also lots of singing.

RS needs to go anywhere but Jan - Mar in my view. It is not going to work as a replacement for DOI.

The rumours that DOI was not done for entirely started a year ago when Robin Cousins suggested an ordinary person team up with skaters type show - a sort of X Factor for amateur skaters. Auditioning in front of the ice panel might be fun!

I doubt just another DOI without Torville and Dean will return, but a new skating show. Possibly.

There are plenty of formats that might work, even if you must have celebrities. For instance a regional battle where celebs represent Scotland, Wales, the North West etc in a duels like they had this weekend. Or even a celebrity skating world cup involving different nations represented by celebs.

Some imagination and you can revive the skating format without it being DOI. One skating show v two or three other singing shows has got to have an edge over 3 very similar singing shows fighting for ratings.

That may be the question that ITV are wrestling with at the moment.

ITV are planning celebrity wrestling ? I like the sound of that, could it be mixed doubles ?
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. CALL THE MIDWIFE (SUN 2002): 10.83m
    2. CORONATION STREET (MON 2029): 10.65m
    3. THE VOICE UK (SAT 1903): 8.86m
    4. EASTENDERS (MON 2000): 8.61m
    5. DEATH IN PARADISE (TUE 2100): 8.46m
    6. EMMERDALE (MON 1902): 7.94m
    7. BIRDS OF A FEATHER (THU 2032): 7.69m
    8. THE MUSKETEERS (SUN 2104): 7.58m
    9. SILENT WITNESS (THU 2101): 7.23m
    10. COUNTRYFILE (SUN 1902): 6.97m

Officials for w/c 20th Jan 2014:

Monday 20th Jan:

Emmerdale - 7.94m [+480k] / 8.11m
    Coronation Street (19:30) - 10.17m [+570k] / 10.39m
    EastEnders - 8.61m [+950k]
    Coronation Street (20:30) - 10.65m [+930k] / 11.03m

Tuesday 21st Jan:

EastEnders - 8.36m [+620k]
    Emmerdale - 7.73m [+730k] / 7.94m

Wednesday 22nd Jan:

Coronation Street: 8.79m [+720k] / 9.41m

Thursday 23rd Jan

EastEnders - 8.18m [+740k]
    Emmerdale 8pm - 7.79m [+650k] / 8.01m
    Emmerdale 7pm - 7.7m [+640k] / 7.84m

Friday 24th Jan

Coronation Street (19:30) - 9.35m [+1.06m] / 9.54m
    Coronation Street (20:30) - 8.68m [+1.17m} / 8.92m
    EastEnders - 7.64m [+660k]
    Emmerdale - 7.53m [+640k] / 7.71m
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know they got repeated loads in the afternoons lately but a proper re-run of Only Fools And Horess after the news either during the week or on a Sunday when Match Of The Day is not on could work looking at that rating last night where timing restraints don't matter so could put on the lengthy Christmas specials too
This discussion has been closed.