The last ship- season 1 (US pace)

Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying the show, each episode just gets better for me.
  • geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what was the Dire Straits song used in the new episode?:cool:
  • Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geobrad wrote: »
    what was the Dire Straits song used in the new episode?:cool:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001KVMWUY/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk6
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RyanL wrote: »
    Ep 5 while still clichéd and maybe not the best thing ever was a massive improvement for me. I really enjoyed it if I'm honest and hope they keep it up.
    I'm sure that during that episode I heard Mr. Chekov say "But Cap-i-tan, we can't just leef them there" :D
    But yes, the Dire Straights track was nice, even if the rest was depressingly predictable.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,054
    Forum Member
    I think that's us done, what a load of cliche nonsense it's turned out to be. The worst thing is that it's actually pretty boring. I was hoping by this point things would have moved further forward than they have.

It's the sort of hokey dialogue that may work in a short movie but can't be sustained over time.

Adam Baldwin's character is just the same as all the other Adam Baldwin characters, this time with a permanent sneer and patriotically babbling on about his powerful missiles without a hint of irony
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    America visits foreign country, removes evil despot, helps install lovely new leader.

Just like real life ;)

I'm waiting for an episode to end with the crew shouting a rousing USA! USA! chant while saluting their flag as hard as they possibly can :D
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wat
    nobody enjoyed adam baldwin's take on rhona mitra's english accent :D

a series's that's getting better and better for me, and well glad it's got a second series too!

yeah they're going to expect a LOT of these confrontations, and have already
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised that they didn't also manage to heroically rescue the older daughter.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yawn!!! More patriotic rubbish set all on the ship.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is the dialog is just horrible. You're watching the show and everything is going smoothly and then they throw in some cliched hokey nonsense for no reason. It is just lazy filler that doesn't add to the plot. The actors seem like they could be pretty good if they had decent material to read. I wonder how much of an influence Michael Bay (Executive Producer) has on the writing? Because the writing is almost identical to his style in movies.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    I wonder how much of an influence Michael Bay (Executive Producer) has on the writing?
    Judging by the inconsistencies, I'd say quite a bit.

In episode #3 we meet the Russian Cruiser (though it looked similar to the Nathan James?) I don't know what size or type of ship it was (other than, ya'know, a Cruiser) but it didn't look a large enough ship to launch the three Helicopters that were in pursuit of Dr Scott when on the ice.

Unless I've missed something, I believe we're led to believe that the ground russians, and the russians in the helicopters, are all from that one Russian ship, which isn't large enough to support three Helicopters, surely?
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hoping that the show gets better the more they get their footing underneath them. Episode 6 (Lockdown) was really a good episode. I'm hoping they can get the writing squared away because the premise is pretty cool. But I'm a sucker for the whole apocalyptic / post-apocalyptic genre.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The re-enlistment scene made me want to puke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    The re-enlistment scene made me want to puke.
    Yes. Though no matter how low the ship gets on food, it'll never run out of cheese.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a great recent episode - more of a filler than owt else.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hugely attracted to Rhona Mitra, she is just gorgeous.
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I am hugely attracted to Rhona Mitra, she is just gorgeous.
    Hah, isn't she just? ;)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was half the episode wasted on the search for the Captain. rolleyes.

Next week we will have to put up with the Captain being interrogated on the Russian ship.

The Russian Captain is just a cliche. Next he'll be saying 'How do you want to die, Mr Bond'. rolleyes
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that strikes me about this show more than anything else - I don't actually know the names of any of the characters apart from 'Tex' (and that's mostly down to today's episode). I just think of them as "The Captain", "The Doctor", "The Navigator" etc.

I tend to spend most of the time pairing up the characters in this with their equivalents in BSG!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I never understand shows like this where the most important person on the ship constantly puts himself in danger, could you really trust a captain that goes all gung-ho and buggers off at the drop of a hat.
    Forum Member
    luvspud wrote: »
    I never understand shows like this where the most important person on the ship constantly puts himself in danger, could you really trust a captain that goes all gung-ho and buggers off at the drop of a hat.
    Happened in Star Trek all the time, and that's got quite a following. ;)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Happened in Star Trek all the time, and that's got quite a following. ;)

I actually find that there are a lot of echoes of early Trek in the Last Ship with a bit of Voyager thrown in. A hot headed captain who leads away missions, constant battles to keep the engine room running, random red shirt dies every week, the Russians are the Klingons and a crew on a ship that is out there by itself. It's Star Trek on a boat.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's Star Trek on a boat.

More like Star Trek was the US Navy in space.:) The starship USS Enterprise was named after the US Navy aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's Star Trek on a boat.
    With the major difference that ST portrayed a mix of nationalities that were integrated, at peace and equal (though the americans were "more equal" than the others) and who contributed positively.

TLB however, shows all the foreign nationals as lacking: devious, treacherous, war-lords, helpless or decadent.
    9/11 has a lot to answer for >:(