Options

Why I've stopped watching Eastenders (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also chucky, no offense but there have been a lot of recasts over the years so how come you want to stop watching now?

Peggy Mitchell
    Janine Molloy
    Sam Mitchell
    Amongst many others

EDIT: Didn't realise how old this thread was, sorry
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Hope there are plans to recast the actor who plays Liam soon. Child actors do not always develop enough to become the 'adult' they need for the show.
    I liked the child actors who played Lauren and Ben but have no problem believing in their replacements.
    Peggy however was so different I took ages to believe in her. Bringing Daniella Westbrook back never worked for me either.
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    It's awful at the moment, but I still watch because of a few good bits here and there.

The acting from some of the cast is the only thing holding it up. Characters are changed regularly, there are too many stupid plots, continuity is terrible and the stories have no pace making it impossible to care. New Ben has failed beyond belief, and after all this time I feel the only way the damage to the show can be repaired is if Kirkwood leaves taking half of his 'writers' with him.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whose acting do you like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Whose acting do you like?

I just feel that the show has a really strong cast:

Jo Joyner
    Jake Wood
    Nina Wadia
    Nitin Ganatra
    Marc Elliot
    Zoe Lucker
    Shona McGarty
    Lyndsey Coulson
    Phil McFadden though I don't like Phil
    Jessie Wallace though I don't like Kat right now
    Laurie Brett when she returns
    Charlie Brooks
    Adam Woodyatt
    Shane Ritchie
    Linda Henry though I don't like Shirley right now
    Jamie Borthwick
    Perry Fenwick
    Pam StClement
  • Options
    soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    It's awful at the moment, but I still watch because of a few good bits here and there.

The acting from some of the cast is the only thing holding it up. Characters are changed regularly, there are too many stupid plots, continuity is terrible and the stories have no pace making it impossible to care. New Ben has failed beyond belief, and after all this time I feel the only way the damage to the show can be repaired is if Kirkwood leaves taking half of his 'writers' with him.

What good bits?! I'm at a loss. I think the only fine actors in the show are Lyndsey Coulson and Jo Joyner and both characters have been neglected/ruined. Tanya's cancer storyline is being handled extremely badly. It does nothing but ring alarm bells and sends a very negative message to viewers affected by the situation in real life instead of providing support and being as informative as possible. Eastenders' research on such topics used to be excellent back in the day, now it just appears to skim over the facts, fails to send the right message to viewers and drowns in the storyliners' ridiculous far-fetched sensationalism. I had high hopes for Zoe Lucker as Vanessa however she was treated appaulingly and her character has been wasted and written completely wrong! Kirkwood's black cab is looong overdue.....!
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have stopped watching now because of all the above that you mention. I may take another look at it when I sense on here and elsewhere that the necessary changes needed have taken place. At the moment it is in a bad place and un- watchable.
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1542714 Here it is Miles!

Yes Ee is becoming abysmal.Obvious zoom in shots on Tylers behind and top of his underwear last night was beneath the standards of a decent producer.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't watch it then. I have only dipped in for the odd minute or two since June (and that was to watch Mandy's scenes) and don't miss it one bit
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    It is shockingly poor at the moment.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I remember back about 10 years ago (maybe not even that), that there would be several storylines running alongside each other in an episode so there would always be at least something to hold your interest. Now the stories seem to be told in blocks - for example, we'll have 1 week which focuses heavily on the Masoods, then the next they'll disappear into the background and we'll see 2 Tanya-led episodes before it switches to the Moons. This is by no means a new problem under Kirkwood, I remember criticising Santer for the exact same thing.

Now we're just left having to imagine what certain characters are getting up to - how is the trio of Dot, Rose and Cora getting on? How did Kim deal with her good news after her HIV test? How are Janine and Phil getting on at the club? We were left to imagine what Mandy was getting up to whilst Ian was away for the most part.

I think the show would improve so much if it didn't keep disappearing from situations and characters.
  • Options
    MixxieMixxie Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    I remember back about 10 years ago (maybe not even that), that there would be several storylines running alongside each other in an episode so there would always be at least something to hold your interest. Now the stories seem to be told in blocks - for example, we'll have 1 week which focuses heavily on the Masoods, then the next they'll disappear into the background and we'll see 2 Tanya-led episodes before it switches to the Moons. This is by no means a new problem under Kirkwood, I remember criticising Santer for the exact same thing.

Now we're just left having to imagine what certain characters are getting up to - how is the trio of Dot, Rose and Cora getting on? How did Kim deal with her good news after her HIV test? How are Janine and Phil getting on at the club? We were left to imagine what Mandy was getting up to whilst Ian was away for the most part.

I think the show would improve so much if it didn't keep disappearing from situations and characters.
    I don't think the block storylines situation was as bad under Santer. The show felt a lot more fluid.

Santer also seemed to care about all of the characters even the non A list ones as they did get some decent screentime. Under Kirkwood characters can go weeks and weeks without even appearing.
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to feel involved in the character's storylines because they'd be on screen regularly. Ever since they started ''blocking'' storylines I don't feel connected to characters anymore. I often forget where the storyline left off and end up being too confused by what's happening to care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to feel involved in the character's storylines because they'd be on screen regularly. Ever since they started ''blocking'' storylines I don't feel connected to characters anymore. I often forget where the storyline left off and end up being too confused by what's happening to care.

I know exactly how you feel, Tanya's cancer story is being acted so well, but because it keeps disappearing, her reveal to Raine, Cora and Abi is being dragged out and it's making it harder to care about the story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Love Jo Joyner... that is all! x saying that I personally believe rather than only showing the helpline number for viewers affected by certain storylines (rape, murder etc)... they should just constantly have a helpline for depression after every show. :-\

Yes yes, I know... If I don't like it then I can easily switch off, it's usually me spouting that line on here LOL! But ive grown up with the show so its not easy to just switch off.

I just wish it were more upbeat at times... far to much goes on in one little place!

OVER.
  • Options
    BridgeStBridgeSt Posts: 19
    Forum Member

Hear hear.

Its really rubbish at the moment. I can't believe Bryan Kirkwood has been kept on so long.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    Why is it awful? I am really enjoying it still. I certainly don't feel bored when I am watching it, and recently I think it's been really interesting with Lauren finding out about Tanya's illness, Ben's coming out, and the Masood problems. There have been lots of powerful scenes lately, especially when Masood divorced Zaineb.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Joyner
    Jake Wood
    Nina Wadia
    Nitin Ganatra
    Marc Elliot
    Zoe Lucker
    Shona McGarty
    Lyndsey Coulson
    Phil McFadden though I don't like Phil
    Jessie Wallace though I don't like Kat right now
    Laurie Brett when she returns
    Charlie Brooks
    Adam Woodyatt
    Shane Ritchie
    Linda Henry though I don't like Shirley right now
    Jamie Borthwick
    Perry Fenwick
    Pam StClement

Ritchie is among the worst actors I've ever seen and Marc Elliott is utterly weak.

Apart from the old hands of June Brown and Pat St Clement, Jake Wood is by far the best actor in the show, he is in fact, too good for the show. The Masoods are ok actors too.

The characters of Janine, Ian and Phil are 1 dimensionsal characters who are virtually un-developable.
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixxie wrote: »
    I don't think the block storylines situation was as bad under Santer. The show felt a lot more fluid.

Santer also seemed to care about all of the characters even the non A list ones as they did get some decent screentime. Under Kirkwood characters can go weeks and weeks without even appearing.

I can't say I watched the show throughout Santer's run [heck, I wouldn't know who was behind the show at all if I hadn't come across this forum in the beginning of the year], since I don't know when it began, but to me it seems that Kirkwood has had some great community scenes - but horribly paced [Tanya's Cancer, Yusef], or and redundant storylines [Kim's HiV scare].

Perhaps Santer and Kirkwood together might be better [until someone new and experienced can be brought on board], at least for better paced storylines + more stable character personas + a greater focus on the community?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Bryan Kirkwood is the worst producer this programme has ever had. I've watched all my life and never have I felt the need to turn off more than I do now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jake Wood, Steve John Shepherd and Steve McFadden are the top three actors I'd say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jake Wood, Steve John Shepherd and Steve McFadden are the top three actors I'd say

You having a laugh?

Adam Woodyatt and Rudolf Walker are head and shoulders above him. Hell I'd even say Scott Maslen is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BridgeSt wrote: »
    You having a laugh?

Adam Woodyatt and Rudolf Walker are head and shoulders above him. Hell I'd even say Scott Maslen is.

It's my opinion. A lot of people think SJS can't act because of his character - he's supposed to be like that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's my opinion. A lot of people think SJS can't act because of his character - he's supposed to be like that!

I know what acting is thank you.
  • Options
    smashboxsmashbox Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been dreadful for ages I don't think I've watched it in a month.