Options

Taggart Axed!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise this was still going, but then I don't really watch telly. I thought it'd finished when Taggart died in real life.
  • Options
    Correct OpinionCorrect Opinion Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise this was still going, but then I don't really watch telly. I thought it'd finished when Taggart died in real life.

Geez, keep up.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It was a fantastic show in the late 80s/early 90s but it did decline gradually after Mark McManus died - Alex Norton did very well to make his mark, but I think the story where Jardine was killed off was the straw that broke the camel's back. Out of the classic series, the episode with Hannah Gordon and the health farm really stands out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    If STV continue it then it's not axed. ITV aren't the centre of Taggarts world, there's still signs of life. No doubt if STV does continue then Alibi will air the episodes.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that would be good for it to be on alibi.I may be sad but i have every episode on dvd right from the very start when they done the trial episode with instrumental music before they used no mean city.I really hope it continues and some of us english fans of taggart can still watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Albi already show the older episodes and show new episodes of three US/Canada shows, so showing Taggart is a definite possibility if STV decide to continue.

I recently started getting the early episodes as I hadn't seen them.

Admittedly the last series wasn't that great. They need to get rid of Ross and Burke and bring Stuart back. Jackie should be DCI.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame but as has been said it was on the cards.

I'm steadily watching all the original episodes on DVD (I bought them fortnightly a few years ago from the newsagents).

They were really good shows with intricate plots, good characters and some frightening murders - Nest of Vipers was one the best.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good_boys wrote: »
    Taggart supposedly more than pays for itself due to overseas sales. No reason STV can't continue to make it for STV viewers only. If they do, I hope they return to the longer format with twists and turns. The more recent hour long versions have lacked this. Was the reason the episode length was cut down to 1 hour anything to do with central ITV?

This was ITV as they moved the news back to 10pm , refused to give it a Sunday slot and wanted one off 60mins eps , just as they recomissioned Rebus but only if STV would edit from 90min to 60 min fit in with their scehdule .

ITV treated Taggart shamefully in the past few years refusing to let it run a series but instead bringing it out at random as a gap filler . It appears ITV want rid of all long running drama, one offs are cheaper and dont bring with it the hassle of long term series
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprising i stopped watching Taggart after Mark McManus died, it felt different after that, prehaps it should have been renamed as well.

I stopped after Jardine got the chop.

Have tried to get back into it, but have no connection to the characters mow.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    there is talk of axing Lewis if they take up the Morse early years drama,

Lewis will only last another series anyway, as Kevin Whately has made it plain that the next series would be its last.

Sad though, as I am a big Lewis fan.
  • Options
    hibbychubbshibbychubbs Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    typical itv feed us reality & soaps at the expense of a half decent show ...well done itv make sure peter andre & kerry katona get paid stupid money at the expense of good dramas they can now officially close down itv
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of the classic series, the episode with Hannah Gordon and the health farm really stands out.

Was that the one that had the clown/doll thing with the lighty up eyes?

Creepy, that was!
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see ITV getting rid of another programme that was well past its sell by date.

I love the new direction ITV is going in this last year or so.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the new direction ITV is going in this last year or so.

Which direction is that then?
  • Options
    Henry GondorfHenry Gondorf Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Surely it will end up on Channel Five, somehow?
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't watched avidly since Jardine got killed off, but I agree with others that the one hour format didn't really work.

And as for Fraser being written owt for nowt...that was harsh.

Hope CH5 picks it up, or they sell more of the back catalogue to Alibi...
  • Options
    corporatemediacorporatemedia Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    ITV is the only channel to axe it. STV still own the rights and have future plans for more feature length episodes. The worldwide distribution rights are a goldmine for STV. There is no way they will sell this off to any channel especially to channel 5. ITV allowed them the opportunity to remake Minder and now regret missing the opportunity themselves and although the series was good channel 5 never had the money to continue the series and dropped it after one series. Taggart will return on STV as the ratings in Scotland were far better than in England and the worldwide distribution and STV's new backers abroad will help pay for it.
  • Options
    Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilyM wrote: »
    Was that the one that had the clown/doll thing with the lighty up eyes?

Creepy, that was!

Yes, it was. The murderer's sister had died as a child due to a mistake made by Hannah Gordon's character. The doll had belonged to his sister. The murderer killed off members of HG's family, and placed the doll at the scene of several of the murders. The scene in the deserted house with the doll sitting in one of the rooms was especially scary.

Interestingly, this plot is quite similar to the plot in Home and Away in 1989 where Danny Price tracked down Morag to exact revenge on her as she had been the judge who sentenced her father, and he had died in prison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad too hear the news about that they were giving it a face lift.

But now they have just axed it after the center actor goes too manchester cobbles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was. The murderer's sister had died as a child due to a mistake made by Hannah Gordon's character. The doll had belonged to his sister. The murderer killed off members of HG's family, and placed the doll at the scene of several of the murders. The scene in the deserted house with the doll sitting in one of the rooms was especially scary.

Interestingly, this plot is quite similar to the plot in Home and Away in 1989 where Danny Price tracked down Morag to exact revenge on her as she had been the judge who sentenced her father, and he had died in prison.

Thanks!

That was its heyday, wasn't it. I must look out for the DVD of that. It would be good to see it again.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilyM wrote: »
    Which direction is that then?

They have put tired old programmes like Heartbeat, The Bill and Taggert out of their misery and developed quite a few new and original programs - Some of which have actually been quite good.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see ITV getting rid of another programme that was well past its sell by date.

I love the new direction ITV is going in this last year or so.:)

Well this is the 3rd cancellation of a long-running drama this year, following All My Children and One Life to Live.
  • Options
    NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very disappointed with the latest series. It just didnt feel right. No explanation as to why Stuart wasnt there, I cant imagine why they got rid of him, his input was valuable as the groups "techie". I think Alex Norton is great and I do hope that STV continue to make the programme, but please bring Stuart back, and make each episode 2 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IA it didn't feel right without Stuart, he added a softness to the group. The fact they didn't even give him an exit was disgusting. You wouldn't treat a dog the way the producers treated the actor.

I really wish they would get rid of Ross, I am sick of his womanizing, drinking and gambling, it got boring about 8 years ago. Though I hope STV do continue Taggart as it's a crime show where you can't always guess the killer unlike most of the others where you can by half way through the episode.