Options

Have you ever been heart broken?

XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't but I'm only 20 so the last time I felt heart ache was when S Club 7 split up and Anastacia's last album flopped.

Seriously though, has a relationship ever left you broken hearted?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never actually had a proper relationship before now so I don't know what heartache is either, but I'm in my 20s too so that could be why.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes :(

That guy was everything I ever wanted and thought we were perfect together. Distance & his situation (being in the closet in a small Westcountry town) got in the way though. It took me months to get over it & I still think about him sometimes 18 months later :o
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, everyone probably knows this :D
    My ex fiance of 5years ran off with a Spanish girl and broke my heart, I was a mess for a few years :o But I'm soppy like that, too bloody soft :(
  • Options
    Mel1314Mel1314 Posts: 2,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Worst feeling ever.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Mel1314 wrote: »
    Yep. Worst feeling ever.

I can echo this:(
  • Options
    IvorChestikoffIvorChestikoff Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Mel1314 wrote: »
    Yep. Worst feeling ever.
    Yes. It's the worst thing I've ever experienced, and that includes some dreadful bereavements.

I don't think you ever entirely come to terms with it. Or at least, I never have. Somebody will doubtless chip in and say give it time, time heals all wounds, etc etc, but it's been 20 years - how long am I supposed to give it?
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't but I'm only 20 so the last time I felt heart ache was when S Club 7 split up and Anastacia's last album flopped.

yes its so painful.I would liken it to an adict without their fix.recently i heard this person had died of cancer.my only thought was if it had resulted in marraige I would be a young widow.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God yes. I was 17 and we'd been going out for a year. It took me twelve months before I stopped feeling as if I was falling through the floor everytime I thought I saw her out and about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, for about four years I pined hopelessly after someone who was thoroughly unavailable. It was pretty painful, lots of tears and anxiety and stress and all sorts of bollocks. I'm over it now though, which is nice. I thought at the time that it'd never end. :o:D

When my first proper-ish boyfriend dumped me I felt heartbroken for about 24 hours, and howled the sodding place down, then got over it completely. It was odd. :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, never want to feel like that again.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few times, I was dumped by ex-fiancé the day before my birthday & another time I was cheated on by someone I truly loved and when we seemed so happy & when my mum died.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God yes. I was 17 and we'd been going out for a year. It took me twelve months before I stopped feeling as if I was falling through the floor everytime I thought I saw her out and about.

Similar here but I was in my 30s :o

I was a wreck and will be eternally grateful to those who understood and helped me through those dark and somewhat self destructive times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. When I was younger, I was a picky so-and-so and always the dumper. Then along came "the one" and we argued and fought but I loved him so much. After a few years, he broke up with me as he just didn't want to settle down with me - I wasn't his "the one" :cry:. There was no feeling like it. It hit me right in the chest, like I couldn't breathe.

I've matured and learned to be more forgiving of foibles and am now very happily married to someone else (ten year anniversary coming up soon!) but I'll never forget that feeling of rejection and utter despair. I suppose it gave me more empathy and made me more determined to make things work with my husband, to learn to back down and see things from someone else's point of view. In a way, it did me a favour as it made me a better person.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Yes.

When I was about 21, I met the most beautiful woman ever, personality and looks wise. She was absolutely stunning and by that I mean sensational. She was of mixed race (Australian/Asian) with lovely long black curly hair. No woman I've seen since then has even come close. Unfortunately, I was too young at the time (I was a student), to take on the responsibility of having a full time relationship and getting married. This probably explains why I am single to this day.

I still use the expression 'well'. That's what she used to say to me during breaks in conversations. I still pine after her to this day, 27 years later.

:cry:
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Yes.

When I was about 21, I met the most beautiful woman ever, personality and looks wise. She was absolutely stunning and by that I mean sensational. She was of mixed race (Australian/Asian) with lovely long black curly hair. No woman I've seen since then has even come close. Unfortunately, I was too young at the time (I was a student), to take on the responsibility of having a full time relationship and getting married. This probably explains why I am single to this day.

I still use the expression 'well'. That's what she used to say to me during breaks in conversations. I still pine after her to this day, 27 years later.

Do you ever wonder if she still thinks of you?
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Yes.

look her up.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people get heartbroken by something in life. It would be a very rare person that has never felt strong sadness through their life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twice, fell in love, thought it would be forever, he moved away and that was that. :cry: Other guy I fell for had a girlfriend, I pined over him for months and months, she went travelling, he started shagging me, she came back from travelling, then it was all over. Still not quite over him, :( Never going there again, I shall simply watch other people fall in love.
  • Options
    IvorChestikoffIvorChestikoff Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people get heartbroken by something in life. It would be a very rare person that has never felt strong sadness through their life.
    Maybe it's just me but I think there's a universe of difference between feeling strong sadness, which as you say happens to practically everyone at some point in life for various reasons, and being utterly heartbroken.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Do you ever wonder if she still thinks of you?

I wonder, but see post below.
    workhorse wrote: »
    look her up.

I don't know where she is.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    No.

Which is strange as I've been in a long term relationship that broke up. I became emotionally detached even to myself- it was like I was living each day as though I were a passive observer of my own actions.

The only time I've truly been heartbroken is when I'd been craving a piece of tiramisu all day at Uni and I got back to find my flatmate had eaten it.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, being an avid coin collector, when I missed out on a fantastic 1869 penny on e bay a year or so back.

Seriously though, on an emotional level, no. Never. I guess I'm just not that devastated when either rejected or dumped. Too much else to be interested in.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Marriage break after 25yrs together.. 12 yrs ago up,felt shite for a while,
    Met another girl..if the same happens, that's it with relationships, i'll go it alone for the rest of my final yrs...I'm 55 at the mo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a broken heart is an awful thing to have to deal with..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splitting up with my ex left me with heartache, but not fully heartbroken, in some ways it was right, but I still miss being with him sometimes, but that happens to everyone.