Options

Mr Selfridge

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still not 100% convinced by Jeremy Pivens acting.
  • Options
    Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like Mr Grove. He doesn't look that happy , though. I think Mrs Selfridge will be rebel in this series. Quite right, it doesn't suit her being all forgiving wife. Given fact, she was a successful entrepreneur on her own right before she married, I hope she'll put herself first now.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Still not 100% convinced by Jeremy Pivens acting.

Piven is brilliant,he plays it like a circus ringmaster :)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Piven is brilliant,he plays it like a circus ringmaster :)

His delivery is very flat and disinterested. He sounds like he's bored most of the time.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I am very intrigued with Mr. Loxley. Lady Mae seems to have a match after all and he is formidable.
    Indeed! I'm also interested in how his character will develop.
    I'm not convinced Mr Selfridge really liked that bust of him though!
    Neither was I!!
    Anna_W wrote: »
    I think Mrs Selfridge will be rebel in this series. Quite right, it doesn't suit her being all forgiving wife. Given fact, she was a successful entrepreneur on her own right before she married, I hope she'll put herself first now.
    I reckon so too, it wouldn't surprise me if she gets even closer with Ms Delphine!

I wasn't blown away by the first episode, but it was still a good start. So agree with the comments on the sets, ITV is putting BBC to shame considering their poor decision on Ripper Street. Will definitely be tuning in next week. ;-)
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that. Lord Loxley is a nasty piece of work! Loving the new dynamic with Lady Mae.
    I wasn't surprised that Miss Mardle has gone to visit a sick frend. More like go off to marry Dr John Watson!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loved it all especially the addition of Delphine Day!! She was great in Prisoners Wives too

For me, she will always be Atia of the Julii.:)
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    This episode was beautifully filmed. The sets looked even better than the last series and the lighting was superb.

Looked absolutely brilliant in HD.

And the story was very good with the new characters.

Overall, we thought this was better than the first series.

Love this programme, lots of different storylines.
  • Options
    madmumof3madmumof3 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I love Mr Selfridge, and I am so glad there is a second series. I hope Mrs Selfridge finds something for herself, other than another man, as that would be too easy! Loving Miss Towler going ahead with her display, Mr Thackery needs a slap...I feel he may be a major annoyance!

It does look like Henri is not doing well, I hope he comes back to work, I liked him with Miss Towler, even though he was a bit of an idiot in the end.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it all especially the addition of Delphine Day!! She was great in Prisoners Wives too

I loved her in PW..but for some reason she doesnt seem to "fit" in this show...I think she looks too modern...if that makes sense... Am loving the show tho..looks like this series is going to be a corker.
  • Options
    StillTryingSE25StillTryingSE25 Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Love having this show back on my screens on a Sunday night :D

Quite liked the jump forward, opens up new storylines for the existing characters plus a good reason to add a few new faces too. (Including the lovely new waiter :blush:)

Mr Loxey looks like he could be trouble for Lady Mae, it will be interesting the see how she copes with his behaviour as she didn't come across as someone who could be bossed around by anyone last season!

Hopefully Delphine Day will bring some more exciting storylines for Mrs Selfridge this season too :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Watched the whole first series in the space of two days after sort of seeing Sunday's opening episode. (I was in the room and half paying attention to it).

It seems like too much happened in the last series for it to be in the space of a year. I felt like several moments in certain episodes covered several months. Kitty is like her name-sake..very catty. Lady May(Mae?) has a very drawly voice, which can get rather annoying sometimes. The Painter was gorgeous, but I didn't like the way he kept trying to get to Rose, even though she said she wasn't interested.

I'll watch Sunday's episode again, now I've got the first series fresh in my mind, I'll understand what's going on better than I did when I first watched it. :D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I like the way it's progressively getting darker and not fluffy wuffy all the time.

Well they are building up to the announcement of the start of world war 1 - its been a long July 2014 so far!

Will be interesting to see how they deal with the male characters - presumably most will go off to fight, some will try to avoid it as there was no conscription initially and obviously someone is going to die at some stage.

Also they seem to be making a big thing of this hostility to Italians. In reality Italy didn't enter the war to start with despite being in alliance with Austria/Germany - and then joined the Allies in 2015. So the Italians were on our side!:confused:

PS Lord Loxley is horrible - but then Lady Mae does have a mouth on her.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Selfridge punches Lady Mae's husband's lights out before the series is over.
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Litter Bin in the park scene way too modern ?
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that is how she is supposed to be, but Kitty with her Marilyn Monroe little girly breathy voice really grates.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ppaupy wrote: »
    I loved her in PW..but for some reason she doesnt seem to "fit" in this show...I think she looks too modern...if that makes sense... Am loving the show tho..looks like this series is going to be a corker.

Totally agree, she is miscast in the role. She does look too modern.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has become a "period soap."
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmumof3 wrote: »
    I love Mr Selfridge, and I am so glad there is a second series. I hope Mrs Selfridge finds something for herself, other than another man, as that would be too easy! Loving Miss Towler going ahead with her display, Mr Thackery needs a slap...I feel he may be a major annoyance!

It does look like Henri is not doing well, I hope he comes back to work, I liked him with Miss Towler, even though he was a bit of an idiot in the end.[/QUOTE]
    I hope he does get back with Agnes but only if he is truly sincere and that his girlfriend doesn't make another appearance although I am not denying he treated her pretty badly.:)
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    PS Lord Loxley is horrible - but then Lady Mae does have a mouth on her.
    As much as it was bad of him to do so, even before it happened, I was thinking 'woman, don't goad the man!' considering his temper and nasty ways!! Wow.

Not a bad episode, I liked how the basement workers actually supported Mr Selfridge when that union man was mouthing off - didn't expect that, neither did I think that Selfridge's son would come out in one piece after his outburst! Watching next week indeed. ;-)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't go boys. It will not be much fun.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was factually incorrect, Germany declares war On France on Aug 3rd, then Germany delares war on Belgium the following day Britain gave Germany an ultimatum to withdraw & at 11.00pm on the 4th Britain declared war on Germany, in other words that never all happened in say one hour while they were on the way to get a drink at that club :o
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode tonight.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    chaz rich wrote: »
    Well that was factually incorrect, Germany declares war On France on Aug 3rd, then Germany delares war on Belgium the following day Britain gave Germany an ultimatum to withdraw & at 11.00pm on the 4th Britain declared war on Germany, in other words that never all happened in say one hour while they were on the way to get a drink at that club :o

Well Germany didn't invade Belgium until 4th August as indicated in the store and the British declaration wasn't until 11pm when they were in the club.

So it wasn't that far off. They just wanted to show them enjoying the last Bank holiday in peace.

What ever happened to that early August Bank Holiday which is a far more sensible date than the one we hve now the weather is warmer and the days longer.
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode tonight.

Yes I agree, a good episode.