Options

Family Affairs why did it end?

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What was your view on this tv programme why did it end? Was it a good tv programme.

Comments

• Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liked it but it suffered from the same fate as Brookside...Paul Marquess became Exec Producer. He loved the loooooooooooong story, the cancer lie storyline in FA is one that springs to mind (and the Jaqui rape in Brookside). In his time he trashed FA, Brookside, MiT, The Bill and Hollyoaks although Hollyoaks seems to have been least affected by his Brown Midas touch.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It never got the ratings 5 would have loved and it had so many revamps, it was commissioned year by year and in 2005 the channel decided that after almost 9 years it would end
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    To be fair they gave it a really good go and I honestly don't think it was a bad soap at all. The problem was there were already enough soaps going and it didn't offer anything more exciting than the others.

It did go through an awful lot of opening credits (they seemed to try a few times to have characters in the opening credits but then always went back to castless titles). My favourite was the last set, I liked the way it started in central London and travelled speedily out into the suburbs before ending up in Charnham and then slowly coming to a hault outside the houses of the characters. It was quite clever.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    i liked it but it suffered from the same fate as Brookside...Paul Marquess became Exec Producer. He loved the loooooooooooong story, the cancer lie storyline in FA is one that springs to mind (and the Jaqui rape in Brookside). In his time he trashed FA, Brookside, MiT, The Bill and Hollyoaks although Hollyoaks seems to have been least affected by his Brown Midas touch.

His time on The Bill was brilliant, the show was unmissable during that era.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »

In a car crash kind of way. Personally I preferred the Jonathan Young time. Marquest was too boringly sensational. The Gabriel plot was beyond ridiculous, couldn't look away but not in a good way.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »

I absolutely hated it...
    In a car crash kind of way. Personally I preferred the Jonathan Young time. Marquest was too boringly sensational. The Gabriel plot was beyond ridiculous, couldn't look away but not in a good way.

...because of the whole Gabriel thing. It was dreadful. Went on and on and on...
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the trivialisation of rape and that every criminal was a serial something - rapist, murder etc.

Although that said Mickey's experience did produce some good story lines for Chris Simmons.

also Gabriel - it really was one of the dumbest plots ever.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did not get the ratings they hpped for, and after they bought h&a they cpuld not afford it.
  • Options
    gwendagwenda Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once the Hart family were killed off I felt it became very watchable. I liked it better than any other soap at the time. I liked the mix of charatcers it had. Kazia Pelka's family were very good. But it suffered from too many deaths (like Fern being smashed by the car) and its last year was abysaml. By then lots of new bland characters with little back story and contrived storylines had been introduced. It became tedious to watch.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    gwenda wrote: »
    Once the Hart family were killed off I felt it became very watchable. I liked it better than any other soap at the time. I liked the mix of charatcers it had. Kazia Pelka's family were very good. But it suffered from too many deaths (like Fern being smashed by the car) and its last year was abysaml. By then lots of new bland characters with little back story and contrived storylines had been introduced. It became tedious to watch.
    Oh is that what happened to Fern? I watched on and off and always wondered what happened to her. I liked Arlo as well. I agree that in the time following the Harts being killed, they introduced very good and well-thought out characters. But that effort did not continue.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it made Hollyoaks look quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Oh is that what happened to Fern?

Yep. I was watching it as normal one evening. Fern was outside her shop and a car came from nowhere out of control and drove straight into her and the shop. It was really unexpected but quite well filmed IIRC. I was shocked afterwards as I liked Fern and thought it was dumb to kill her just like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete Callan was just the greatest - absolutely superb, brilliant character the whole way through really.

Baffling decision to exit him really IMO.

If one reads some of the stuff on this or just google "Family Affairs" etc there's quite a lot of stuff on this subject, reasons etc in newspaper articles.

Sounds like a purely economic decision from Five at the time (having Home and Away also is a good point) - though the show at the time was apparently heading in a new, younger direction even with a new name for the show perhaps was the plan.

Trouble is anything good (so good it was bad) is never sustainable (though gutting for the long-term / long-time viewers) and as people say in the last year the show really began to slide (Pete's exit towards the end of 2005 being an indicator of this IMO).
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I think the show had too many revamps, which was really destabilising for the viewers. Characters would come and go, and just as you were starting to get used to them (even if you hated their stories, some would have a lot of potential) they were gone, and another influx took place, and the whole process repeated itself.

C5 wanted the show to achieve the kind of ratings that it was never going to get, and whenever the show became a little boring, they'd revamp it with a new EP, who always thought a mass cast exodus was the answer, even though it wasn't always.

It's ironic that they were cancelled in the same year they won critical acclaim and awards. Granted, the last months had more new characters, who were mostly bland and boring, but I always thought with the right direction and vision, Family Affairs could have been pretty good.

Still don't know if killing off Pete Callan was their decision or if David Easter quit, but the show lost something the day Pete left. He was a great character, and so was his tumultuous relationship with Eileen, who was another decent character who also left.

Officially, C5 had purchased H&A for a lot of money, and they said FA's £1 million budget was too much for them to sustain, so took the decision to cancel it.
  • Options
    BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Channel 5 in the early days - best soaps on TV! Family Affairs, Sunset Beach, The Bold and the Beautiful. Unrivalled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    I miss Channel 5 in the early days - best soaps on TV! Family Affairs, Sunset Beach, The Bold and the Beautiful. Unrivalled.

Sunset Beach really was something else!
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy a programme called Family Affairs some years ago. Then, one day, they sent all the cast out on a boat and blew them up. Is this the same Family Affairs that you are discussing?
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy a programme called Family Affairs some years ago. Then, one day, they sent all the cast out on a boat and blew them up. Is this the same Family Affairs that you are discussing?

Yes, after the explosion there was a re vamp and it got much better
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Is it my wonky memory or did it begin in Newcastle? Then the family being blown up on the boat blew it to London?
  • Options
    BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it my wonky memory or did it begin in Newcastle? Then the family being blown up on the boat blew it to London?

The patriach of the Hart family was from Newcastle. It was set in Charnham, a fictional town in the Home Counties.
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Oh is that what happened to Fern? I watched on and off and always wondered what happened to her. I liked Arlo as well. I agree that in the time following the Harts being killed, they introduced very good and well-thought out characters. But that effort did not continue.

If I remember rightly Fern and the bloke she was dating were in one of the shops if I remember rightly (it might be where the Chinese is now on the former set that's been used in a lot of music videos and even a promo for I'm A Celebrity....) and Seb Castang (who also used to be in Night & Day) ended up stealing a car I think and ploughing through the window.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    It was the Davenports sandwhich shop and Fern and Robert were in there and got killed.

There were some great characters in Family Affairs Pete Call an, Eileen Callan, Yasmin, Cat, Geri

They had lots of gay characters Clive, Adam, Max, Sean, Sami, Brett, Brendan, Kelly, Karen

Tanya and Conrad were an awesome couple. Babs was another great character loved the Costello and Williams family dramas

The last few months had Coral, Jason, Hector 2 nurses, someone Jack Ryder was originally meant to play and his wife... Then we never found out if Katie survived!!!
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Something very odd happened in the world of soap in the early 00's. Channel 5 acquired Home and Away, axed Family Affairs, cut back on its American soaps.

Eastenders went 4 nights a week

Brookside and High Road were also axed

Emmerdale and Corrie went 5 and 4 nights a week respectively.

The whole nature of soap seemed to change and reality TV like Popstars, soapstars (that Emmerdale family lol) X Factor, Big Brother, etc started to take over.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idris Elba was in it :) How many of you said at the time that one day that guy will meet the first American black president and play Nelson Mendela?
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the producers didn't like the Family Affairs I was watching, why didn't they close it down and start another soap with a different name? Very odd behaviour.