Options

One Show - Embarrassing for guests

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They invite 2 stars from eastenders on then ignore them to run a piece about immigration then interview someone about it. They looked embarrassed . They they run a piece about a man and a dog. Why not leave them in the green room til they want them

Comments

• Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't see to know that they were on to talk about strokes either. All a bit uncomfortable.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    They invite 2 stars from eastenders on then ignore them to run a piece about immigration then interview someone about it. They looked embarrassed . They they run a piece about a man and a dog. Why not leave them in the green room til they want them

That's what always happens on The One Show though....its a running joke with some guests taking the mick at its scattergun approach.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What would be worse. Going all the way there and then being brought out for a 3 minute chat or going there for the full 30 minutes and possibly having thoughts and opinions on the other reports.

Both the guests tonight probably have opinions on immigation from personal / family experience.
    They may also be into art so could comment on the artist's story.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me that people actually agree to go on this programme, they surely must know what the bit of nonsense it is.

But maybe some just want to get their faces on TV.
    Given the viewing figures, I guess it's a very good vehicle for getting themselves noticed.

Our regional news, is pitched at a much more "adult" level and when I've bothered to watch it, is quite interesting.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I heard Rudolph Walker was on today, I was hoping for a Love Thy Neighbour clip. To remind the nation of his past big hit program.
    Maybe the BBC doesn't like ITV clips. Can't think of another reason.:)

Always thought it an odd format, not wheeling the guests on to do their bit. Rather than leaving them there looking like a fish out of water.
    Its a chat show that wants to be Nationwide, presented by a bloke who loves himself too much and a gormless bint.
    Yet I still watch it most of the time.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you never seen The One Show before?
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of "The Word" with the scattergun approach to the guests, and just as entertaining at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To improve the appeal of the programme. I've often suggested that guests invited just to really promote, their new "Book, Play, or Film" etc., should have to mime the title, as in the old game show "Give us a Clue."
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally disagree Rudolf had a conversation after the film and was fully involved, guest go one the show they have seen it before they know what it does! There was never ever any embarrassment at all! Thoughtful concentration on a difficult subject well tackled.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To improve the appeal of the programme. I've often suggested that guests invited just to really promote, their new "Book, Play, or Film" etc., should have to mime the title, as in the old game show "Give us a Clue."

That's just not constructive to the discussion in any way whatsoever, rather " random"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    That's just not constructive to the discussion in any way whatsoever, rather " random"

Oh dear there's always one without a sense of humour.

Bless.

"Constructive?"
    What's constructive about comments on message board?

Do you think they'll alter the content of the programme or change posters views in any way?

Lighten up. It's just telly. It's a popular and sometimes informative programme in an often patronising way, despite the frequency of the nonsense it , or maybe it's because of the latter?

If it's a "must watch" programme for you, that's fine by me.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Totally disagree Rudolf had a conversation after the film and was fully involved, guest go one the show they have seen it before they know what it does! There was never ever any embarrassment at all! Thoughtful concentration on a difficult subject well tackled.

That was what I thought, he wanted to talk about strokes and both of them had an interest in immigration.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you never seen The One Show before?

Errr no. For the part 10 years I've worked in the evenings
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr no. For the part 10 years I've worked in the evenings

You made the wrong decision by switching shifts!

Watching repeats of Nationwide would be much more entertaining I'd say.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The One Show is always like that. I'm surprised viewers aren't tiring of the format, surely every possible report has been run by now. Do you think it will be on forever?

Guests only go on because it means their face is on prime time BBC1 plugging their latest project, even if it is very brief.
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The One Show - Embarrassing for the guests

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1964691

people agree it is embarassing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    You made the wrong decision by switching shifts!

Watching repeats of Nationwide would be much more entertaining I'd say.

You presumably don't remember the light items that Nationwide did. If anything I would say that Nationwide did far more novelty film reports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The One Show is always like that. I'm surprised viewers aren't tiring of the format, surely every possible report has been run by now. Do you think it will be on forever?

Guests only go on because it means their face is on prime time BBC1 plugging their latest project, even if it is very brief.

There are regularly film reports on items that have not been covered elsewhere.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The One Show, or as I call it 'Blue Peter For Adults', is embarrassing, full stop.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The One Show, or as I call it 'Blue Peter For Adults', is embarrassing, full stop.

Don't watch it then, plenty of people will watch in your stead
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year they had the actor George Cole (Minder) on. They asked him one question, he told one short anecdote and they never spoke to him again, rude to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is not an insult to be compared with one of the greatest and longest running British TV series.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

The One Show will never be great, or highbrow television but it is light, frothy, and draws in the viewers for early evening primetime. I do have to say I find it a bit cringey when they start asking the guests (who are usually on to promote a book/tour/new show/film etc) what their opinion is on the early ontset of Alzeimers but they must be briefed beforehand on the type of show they're going on to - a 'magazine' show in nature it will always jump from one article to another and involve the guests in those articles.

Its been on for years now, probably doesn't cost a huge amount to produce, and pulls in the viewers.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    You presumably don't remember the light items that Nationwide did. If anything I would say that Nationwide did far more novelty film reports.

At least they had "witty" songs by Richard Stilgoe! *cough*
  • Options
    LowLifeLowLife Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Why did Alex keep calling Rudolph by his character name? It's Rudolph not Patrick you stupid bint...