Connections

Can someone please help me before I lose my mind! I have a Philips digital Tv which has worked Ok up to now connected to a digibox,DVD player and VCR recorder. I then had the not so brilliant idea of buying a DVD/VCR combination and have been struggling for a week now and just can't get it to work.
The TV has two scart sockets EXT 1 and EXT 2. The DVD/VCR has two scart sockets AV1 (TV) and AV2 (decoder). Can anyone tell me which should be connected to which please as I can't make any sense of the instruction booklets and am not able to run up lengthy phone bills to the respective manufactuers. I have tried various combinations but can't seem to find anything that works.
Thank you.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can connect in two ways.

Digibox AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    DVD/VCR AV1 > TV AV2 (RGB/S-Video/Composite)

DVD/VCR AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    Digibox AV1 > TV AV2 (RGB/S-Video/Composite)

Will depend on what signal(s) are available on each EXT to which option you prefer. RGB being the best followed by S-Video then composite.
  • Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Tommy. I have just tried both combinations and no luck at all so it is obviously something else I am doing wrong. Vodeos and DVDs are playing away merrily but I can get no picture at all, nor can I get any of the other screens I should be getting. I'm afriad themachine is almost due to be going through the window!
    Oh and the digibox is no longer connected to this TV, it was the normal TV is was connected to.
  • broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try connecting only one or the other external device to start with, direct from scart to TV, and see if that gives you a picture. If it does, then your problems are being caused by one interfering with the other. I have my DVD player connected direct to my TV using one scart, my VCR connected to my Sky box (VCR in/out to Sky VCR scart) and my Sky box connected to my TV from Sky TV out to second scart in on TV. Watching DVDs goes straight through to TV, watching Sky goes straight through to TV, recording Sky to tape goes from Sky output to VCR input, pressing play on VCR makes video picture appear over top of Sky picture on TV.
  • 56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat13 wrote:
    Can someone please help me before I lose my mind! I have a Philips digital Tv

On little thing puzzles me. If you have a Digital TV, why do you need a digibox??
    Except if you are using it to record to the VCR/DVD combination. If your set does not have a digital tuner built into it then it is not a digital set!!

Anyway leaving that aside, one question. Does your digibox (you neglected to mention the make/ model) have pass through? If it does then the route (using scart leads)

AV1 from the VCR/DVD combo to AV2 on the Digibox
    AV1 from the digibox to EXT1 on the tv

may work.
    However it will not work if either
    The digibox does not have pass-through or
    If the TV is set to RGB input on EXT1. Your combo will likely only output composite signal and this composite signal will appear as a black screen on the tv. If you are getting sound but no picture then this is the likely problem. Some sets can switch automatically from RGB to PAL composite (my present set does, but my previous set did not. If this is the case, take another scart from AV2 on the VCR/DVD combo to EXT2 on the TV and by setting EXT2 to PAL then you should see a picture. The last will work too if your digibox does not have pass-through.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat13 wrote:
    Thanks Tommy. I have just tried both combinations and no luck at all so it is obviously something else I am doing wrong. Vodeos and DVDs are playing away merrily but I can get no picture at all, nor can I get any of the other screens I should be getting. I'm afriad themachine is almost due to be going through the window!
    Oh and the digibox is no longer connected to this TV, it was the normal TV is was connected to.
    Very strange.

Should just be a case of 'plug and play'

Have you got the model number of the DVD/VCR, might be able to get the manual online to have a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, as I said above the digibox was nothing to do with this TV but the analogue one....sorry but after a week of struggling with this thing I am quickly losing my marbles.
    The DVD/VCR is a Sharp DV-RW360. The TV is a Philips 28PW6720D.
    So, 56up, are you saying connect two scarts to both TV and DVD/VCR recorder? I do get a black screen, sometimes I can hear the sound but certainly no picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just tried it with another scart lead and IT WORKED!!!!!
    I can't thank you all enough for your help after almost a week of tearing my hair out.
    Thank you again.