Options

Why does my power brick sound like a harrier jet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
I paid £429.99 for everything including my games and for price I expected everything to work perfectly, which I've found recently that it doesn't. It's no longer the silent console I thought it was. The power brick keeps buzzing when the Xbox One is plugged in. It's not a quiet buzz, it's really loud and it's constant. Has anyone else heard of this? It's really annoying. When I'm sat on the Xbox I can sometimes hear it over the game I an play if and it's awful at night when everybody else is in bed. When I turn it on my Mrs must think an aircraft is taking off from our living room.

Comments

• Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't sound right at all. You should hardly be able to hear the thing.

Call up MS or take it back to where you bought it.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Does the power brick sit on carpet or in a very confined area?
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the cable pushed all the way in?
    Is it free of dust?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I paid £429.99 for everything including my games and for price I expected everything to work perfectly, which I've found recently that it doesn't. It's no longer the silent console I thought it was. The power brick keeps buzzing when the Xbox One is plugged in. It's not a quiet buzz, it's really loud and it's constant. Has anyone else heard of this? It's really annoying. When I'm sat on the Xbox I can sometimes hear it over the game I an play if and it's awful at night when everybody else is in bed. When I turn it on my Mrs must think an aircraft is taking off from our living room.

I had similar to that with the PSU for my Day One console.

An annoying buzz (dodgy fan bearing noise?) that was quite audible when the console was on the dashboard, or when in quiet parts of a game. It doesn't do it in standby, though - just when turned on.

I got a replacement.

A year later, the replacement is probably heading the same way, as I've started noticing the same kind of background noise.

MS states that the PSU does make *some* noise, as it has a fan, however my noise and probably your noise are not normal. The PSU should not be that loud...

It used to be that you could just buy a new PSU from MS via myservice.xbox.com, which for myself and others was a much better option than having it replaced under the warranty as that involved paying to post the PSU all the way to Prague and then waiting, PSU-less, for a replacement to be sent back out to you.

But... I don't think MS does that anymore, from what I remember from the Xbox.com forums - so you probably need to send it off and wait...

Check the forums at Xbox.com for threads about PSU noise - there are several...
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought MS started asking for your credit card details, they would then send you the replacement part and once it arrived you would send back the broken one. If you didn't return it within a certain time frame you would then get charged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I thought MS started asking for your credit card details, they would then send you the replacement part and once it arrived you would send back the broken one. If you didn't return it within a certain time frame you would then get charged.

I think that was just for console replacements, not for the PSU or anything else.

You'd give them the card details, and they'd put a "hold" on the cost of the console and send out a replacement. Once they had your old console returned to them, the "hold" would be released. If you screwed them over and kept both, you'd be charged.

For accessories, you have to pay to post them to Prague... Unless someone at MS did finally see sense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, I've actually just gone through the online accessory replacement process myself, as I've decided I've had enough of my current PSU.

The option to just pay and have one sent out has definitely gone - the only option is "self ship" or something like that, where you must first send the original off and then wait.

But... rather than being instructed to send the PSU to Prague at my own expense, the email from MS instead contained a link to a pre-paid UPS Returns label for sending it to Germany! :)

It seems that MS has actually changed its ridiculous policy :)

Well, either than or it has cocked up somehow... the label and receipt both say "Kinect Fulfilment", even though I clearly ordered a Power Supply and the order status on myservice.xbox.com clearly says Power Supply!

Still, I have a label, and I'm using it.

I'll send MS the original PSU, as I still have that knocking around thanks to paying up front for the first replacement - that way I don't have to go without the ability to use my console for weeks.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I do hope the OP bothers to comes back and updates us.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Would using the suspend / resume cause this to happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry guys, thanks for the posts. I've been busy the last week everything in my house is falling apart. Just had my washing machine start leaking and my simpleton brain can't figure out why. Luckily it's just leaking near the end of a quick wash cycle so I can just mop it up, spin the clothes and dry them. If it was leaking earlier it would be a disaster but I think I may get away with it for a few more weeks until I can get it repaired.

ANYWAY... The PSU. No I don't have it sitting on a carpeted surface, it's on the television stand next to the Xbox One so it's got plenty of space and air. Also all the wires are correctly and tightly connected so I don't think the connection is an issue. I've tried turning it on it's side though I imagine this is a bad idea as there are vents on each side and it could possibly overheat so I've always had to turn it back. I've noticed that the buzzing noise gets a lot worse when I try to rotate the PSU. It's strange.

I bought the console from GAME and I returned the first one already because the actual console was making a buzzing noise, then this one was slightly louder so I tried to take it back but the manager there said she wasn't happy to replace it because it had only been a day and I hadn't even set up the console to connect to Xbox Live. She was being a bit unfair and wasn't really listening to me, I even showed her countless articles online stating MS have acknowledged the buzzing issue but she wasn't having any of it. She said in that case it's nothing to do with them and should go through Microsoft. So they wouldn't take it back from me now if I went back.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coil whine?

The psu will have transformer coils inside, one of which may be resonating as current passes through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Coil whine?

The psu will have transformer coils inside, one of which may be resonating as current passes through.
    Thanks for the post.

Could you translate this to somebody who is unfortunately technology inept? I.e myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I bought the console from GAME and I returned the first one already because the actual console was making a buzzing noise, then this one was slightly louder so I tried to take it back but the manager there said she wasn't happy to replace it because it had only been a day and I hadn't even set up the console to connect to Xbox Live. She was being a bit unfair and wasn't really listening to me, I even showed her countless articles online stating MS have acknowledged the buzzing issue but she wasn't having any of it. She said in that case it's nothing to do with them and should go through Microsoft. So they wouldn't take it back from me now if I went back.

A manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer.

Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

It's the responsibility of the retailer to deal with issues arising from a product being faulty or not being of satisfactory quality etc. etc.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), you have up to six years from purchase (England, Wales, N. Ireland) / five years from purchase (Scotland) to make a claim against a retailer for faulty goods.

You can claim for a refund if it's only been a "reasonable time" since purchase, e.g. one month.

After that period, you can claim for repair/replacement.

If a fault develops within the first six months from purchase, it is assumed to be an inherent fault, and it is up to the retailer to prove otherwise.

If a fault develops after the first six months from purchase, it is up to the consumer to prove that it is an inherent fault.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/faulty_goods_e/faulty_goods.htm

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that post Matt. I could use that if I take it back.