Film's that surprised you

2»

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope and Glory - a cute British WWII film
    Summer Time Machine Blues - a Japanese time travel film that's actually funny
    Breaking Away - a small and funny American film about aspiring teen cyclists
    Das Boot - an intense and compelling German WWII film
    Inside Moves - a gritty and darkly funny American film about a man whose failed suicide attempt left him disabled

I accidentally caught all those on late-night TV.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shipping News. I'd heard quite a few bad things about it prior to watching it but ended up really enjoying it.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    At the risk of being ridiculed I recently watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter thinking it would be diabolical but quite enjoyed it , it also has some quite good twists

Also Toxic Avenger is that bad its brilliant, haven't seen it for years think I'll have to try find it again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fight Club, Chonicles of Riddick, the recent Judge Dredd 3D and the Underworld series.

None have had really **great** reviews but I have loved all of them :)
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drive...absolutely loved it. I had read it was all style over substance and was quite boring but I thought it was great and was hooked from the start
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adding to the chorus of praise for In Bruges.

I was stuck in a hotel for work and that was on one of the movie channels. I'd seen it had good reviews, but I didn't have much hope for it as I've never been a huge fan of Colin Farrell. Completely changed my opinion of him within 2 hours.

Fantastic film. Funnier than 99% of comedies, more moving than 99% of dramas.

Can't recommend it enough.
  • MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    War Horse

everyone kept saying it was cr*p etc.

But I found it absolutely Brilliant

I cried my eyes out at the end

Marley and Me

hate these types of films

but again pulled at every heart string I had, it was funny and so moving

before Marley and me I hadn't cried at a film since I was 10. 37yo Male now with no credibility regarding wailing in front of my wife n kids during films

disgusted! lol
  • Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    In Bruges.
    I expected nothing as I knew nothing and heard nothing about it.
    It's one of my favourite films ever, excellent acting and superb storyline.
    Emotional! :cry: :mad: :eek:

Definatly , someone had left the DvD round my house and i left it laying around for a couple of months before i watched it out of boredom ......... was very suprised , its a top film.

The last Rambo film blew me away , just wasn't expecting the violence to be that violent plus it was a decent story with characters you cared for , loved it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Kick-Ass stands out for me as well. It wasn't that hyped before I saw it and thought it was a brilliant film.

Rear Window by Hitchcock for me as well. Girlfriend recommended it and I was blown away.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    The Three Stooges - Far better than my expectations
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Apocolypto, Seeking a Friend For The End Of The World and Troll Hunter
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Shallow Hal surprised me as it had some though provoking moments!

Why am I embarrassed to type this:D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apocolypto, Seeking a Friend For The End Of The World and Troll Hunter

Definitely Seeking a Friend For The End Of The World. No real hype surrounding it, followed by quite mediocre reviews. I wasn't expecting much.

One of my favourite movies now.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead Mans Shoes. Recorded it on film4 one night and watched it on a lazy Sunday afternoon..amazing, went and bought the dvd 3 days later.

Drive. Thought it couldn't live up to the hype, totally did!

District 9 and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. CGI fests with a heart, fantastic.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Aliens. When I saw the first trailers with stereotypical gung ho space marines, I thought it was going to nonsense that would tarnish the Alien brand. I was wrong!! :D

The Matrix. I knew about the virtual world idea beforehand but never expected it be such a great action movie. :cool:

Reservoir Dogs. Went to cinema with friend to watch another movie but we got the times wrong. :o I said I'd read a brief review which said this strange sounding film was good. Turned out to be a classic! One of the best uses of flashbacks in any movie. :cool:

Schindler's List. I knew it was going to be miserable and worthy but it was quite a compelling film as well. :)

Fargo. Much, much better than expected. :)
  • demon freakdemon freak Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Sweeney Todd. My daughter forced me to watch it with her and I loved it.

I actually thought that Sweeney Todd would be great ....then I watched it and thought it was a load of crap!
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good:
    New Year's Eve. The critics were panning it everywhere, and it really isn't my type of film. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it!

Bad:
    The Excorcist. Seriously... so many people call it the scariest movie ever made. It was sooooo dull.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memento

Moon

Unforgiven
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kick-Ass stands out for me as well. It wasn't that hyped before I saw it and thought it was a brilliant film.

Rear Window by Hitchcock for me as well. Girlfriend recommended it and I was blown away.

Fantastic film - just happened to catch it on TV one weekend afternoon. Wasn't really expecting much but started watching anyway, before long we were utterly transfixed. The acting was wonderful and the whole premise was brilliant.
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    The Last Seduction. I had never heard of that film until it got its first UK TV showing on Channel 4 in around 1997. I recorded it just on a whim. Wow. What a good story and of course Linda Fiorentino as Bridget Gregory was standout. Amazing.

Fight Club. I had heard a lot of hype about it and actually sort of knew part of the ending, but when I watched it on BBC TV I was blown away by it. Superb.

Studied both of these films for film studies! Would never have seen TLS if it wasn't for film studies. Such a good film!