Options

Wildlife tales :)

Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not seen this before, but looked out this morning only to see a tiny blue tit balancing on top of a tennis ball on our patio, his feet controlling it adeptly, as it rolled around. He pecked repeatedly until his little beak was completely stuffed with lime green fluff, then flew off to his nest. So cute.

Comments

• Options
    cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a couple of days ago I was looking out of my window and saw a blue tit standing in the middle of the path, fast asleep! at first I thought it was dead despite it being stood up with its head tucked down and had to call my son to have a look, it was there for about 20 minutes and then we saw it fly off! we have often seen what I think is the same bird eating the food our neighbour puts out for the birds.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years back a swift came crashing into my garden fence with a hawk in hot pursuit. The hawk just managed to veer off in time and flew away.

My cat immediately grabbed the stricken swift and ran behind the rockery with it.

My wife scrambed in after it and managed to rescue the bird from the cat's mouth.

She brought it back out and held onto it for a few minutes. We checked it's wings and gave it the once over. There didn't appear to be any damage.

We decided to give it a chance to see if it could fly, so she opened her hands and lifted it into the air.

It was great to see it take flight, and slowly rise as it disappeared over the trees at the end of the garden and off into the sunset.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some hanging baskets, and the liners of several of them are quite bald in places where the sparrows and blackbirds have been pulling fibres out to line their nests.

I've stood at the bedroom window some mornings and watched them doing it.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    A couple of years back a swift came crashing into my garden fence with a hawk in hot pursuit. The hawk just managed to veer off in time and flew away.

My cat immediately grabbed the stricken swift and ran behind the rockery with it.

My wife scrambed in after it and managed to rescue the bird from the cat's mouth.

She brought it back out and held onto it for a few minutes. We checked it's wings and gave it the once over. There didn't appear to be any damage.

We decided to give it a chance to see if it could fly, so she opened her hands and lifted it into the air.

It was great to see it take flight, and slowly rise as it disappeared over the trees at the end of the garden and off into the sunset.

What a hardy little thing, I'd have thought maybe the shock of having been in the clutches of both hawk and cat would have been too much. When I was little girl, I was always rescuing and wrapping sad little injured, half-alive creatures in cotton wool, thinking I was being kind to them and hoping to nurse them back to health with warm milk and so on, yet of course they rarely survived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    What a hardy little thing, I'd have thought maybe the shock of having been in the clutches of both hawk and cat would have been too much. When I was little girl, I was always rescuing and wrapping sad little injured, half-alive creatures in cotton wool, thinking I was being kind to them and hoping to nurse them back to health with warm milk and so on, yet of course they rarely survived.

they die of fright most of the time, my cat's been after a fledgling before and I've tried to rescue it, or at least get the cat away, and then gone out to the garden and the bird has been sat there, perfectly formed, looking like it's stuffed