Neighbour's noisy door

orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My downstairs neighbour is having a bit of a gathering this evening. With all the people coming in and out its really apparent that one of his doors has a terrible squeak. Its really loud (I can hear it over the TV) and the sound is going right through my head.

I really want to go and buy a can of WD40 and knock on his door, but i feel this would be quite rude.

Its a small block (6 flats) and we all get on generally well, accepting the daily living noises that can be heard, but this squeak is driving me mad.

Is it acceptable for me to mention it to him or should I leave it alone and put up with it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put up with it for one night, for Gods sake...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just tonight or all the time.

I would see the neighbour and offer to WD40 the door for them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to leave it for tonight, and if it's really bothering you, mention it the next time you see him. It's not worth perhaps ruining a good relationship with a neighbour over one night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should go down there and politely say to him You have probably noticed that you have a squeaky door. Unfortunetly it is disturbing me and I don't want to come across as rude or anything but would you mind doing something about it. I realise it is not your fault and you probably don't realise that is is disturbing me but it is and I would appreciate if you could sort it out.

If you have any WD40 maybe you could offer him to borrow it if he doesn't have any. That way you would be telling him that you want it sorted and being nice about it by offering him the stuff to sort it with.

Alternatively you could write a note telling him that you are being bothered by it.

Hope this helps :)
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put up with it for one night, for Gods sake...

Its not just one night though.
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    Is it just tonight or all the time.

I would see the neighbour and offer to WD40 the door for them

No, the door squeaks all the time, its just really noticeable when they have friends round (which is a regular occurrence). To be fair, all of our front doors squeak to some extent, theirs is just particularly loud - the neighbour above me mentioned it when we were letting the dogs out a bit earlier. It must be loud if she can hear it two floors up. I know it sounds stupid, but minor irritants can grow.
    tippy wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to leave it for tonight, and if it's really bothering you, mention it the next time you see him. It's not worth perhaps ruining a good relationship with a neighbour over one night.

I'm not gonna say anything tonight - its far too late for that lol! I agree about the relationship, between us, the six of us own the building so relations need to be good and we all get on fairly well.
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    Maybe you should go down there and politely say to him You have probably noticed that you have a squeaky door. Unfortunetly it is disturbing me and I don't want to come across as rude or anything but would you mind doing something about it. I realise it is not your fault and you probably don't realise that is is disturbing me but it is and I would appreciate if you could sort it out.

If you have any WD40 maybe you could offer him to borrow it if he doesn't have any. That way you would be telling him that you want it sorted and being nice about it by offering him the stuff to sort it with.

Alternatively you could write a note telling him that you are being bothered by it.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks ladyinblue, I don't want to go down there tonight, its late and they're having a good night, don't want to intrude on that. I think mentioning it if i happen to see him or popping a note through the door might be the answer. I just didn't want to come across as rude, or as trying to spoil their party. All of us in the building work in healthcare, we work shifts, so everyone is pretty mindful of noise - and no one begrudges anyone else letting their hair down with their friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    My neighbour's are old and they had to get a sliding bathroom door and a chair going up the stairs.

Unfortunately my Bedroom is right beside all that so i know how you feel. :sleep:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Go and ask to borrow something, while he's gone in to get it (hopefully leaving the door open), squirt oil in all the hinges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you ask your managing agent to do it, if you don't want to approach them directly?
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My downstairs neighbour is having a bit of a gathering this evening. With all the people coming in and out its really apparent that one of his doors has a terrible squeak. Its really loud (I can hear it over the TV) and the sound is going right through my head.

I really want to go and buy a can of WD40 and knock on his door, but i feel this would be quite rude.

Its a small block (6 flats) and we all get on generally well, accepting the daily living noises that can be heard, but this squeak is driving me mad.

Is it acceptable for me to mention it to him or should I leave it alone and put up with it?
    ... but not well enough to get an invite.:o