Chilli flakes = evil!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
Forum Member
✭✭
Oh my goodness, I was just cooking prawns and put some chilli flakes in as per my recipe, and now I can't breathe! Argh, my eyes immediately started to water and I began coughing!! I'm never cooking with chilli flakes again!!!

Comments

• katiekookatiekoo Posts: 4,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have to warn you not to use a full scotch bonnet in a stir fry for 2 either. :eek:
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Ohhh no I love chilli - and chilli flakes are gorgeous with prawns! You've just got to try not to be too heavy handed if you're not good with heat! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the recipe said 3 teaspoons of chilli flake, which sounded a lot to me, so I put one in, but I immediately created some sort of chilli-fumes and gassed out the kitchen and myself! I'm just recovering!
  • DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay away from chilli in future then lol.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made nachos with half a jar of jalepenos earlier, my mouth and innards hate me...Love it though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the recipe said 3 teaspoons of chilli flake, which sounded a lot to me, so I put one in, but I immediately created some sort of chilli-fumes and gassed out the kitchen and myself! I'm just recovering!

I like chillies:), but that does seem to be a lot, possibly the recipe has it wrong?!

Chilli flakes can be quite strong. Are you sure it doesn't say something like 3/4 teaspoon? (three 'quarters' of a teaspoon). And you've mistaken it for 3 or 4 teaspoons?:D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    I made nachos with half a jar of jalepenos earlier, my mouth and innards hate me...Love it though :D

half a jar!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like chillies:), but that does seem to be a lot, possibly the recipe has it wrong?!

Chilli flakes can be quite strong. Are you sure it doesn't say something like 3/4 teaspoon? (three 'quarters' of a teaspoon). And you've mistaken it for 3 or 4 teaspoons?:D

Liqourice Queen, I bow to your superior chilli knowledge, the recipe does indeed say 3/4 teaspoon and I automatically thought it was 3 or 4! What an idiot! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah-ha, another case solved!:)

Just out of curiosity, did you try your meal when you'd cooked it... (after you'd finally got rid of the fumes from the kitchen)!

If so.......I would love to have seen the look on your face as it turned bright scarlet!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah-ha, another case solved!:)

Just out of curiosity, did you try your meal when you'd cooked it... (after you'd finally got rid of the fumes from the kitchen)!

If so.......I would love to have seen the look on your face as it turned bright scarlet!!

Yep, I ate it! I wasn't going to waste it, even though tears were rolling down my face I finished it! I can barely speak now though!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kudos to you there Tartan_girl.:cool:

Maybe, now's the time to put the loo roll in the fridge, in readiness! ;):D
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Love Chilli Flakes (although bought some fresh Chillis for a change this week, they are so tastey!) but could never hand a teaspoon of them!

I like the food spicey but think half a teaspoon is even too much for me, I just add a sprinkle at a time until it tastes right.

I made the same mistake as you once with the 3/4 thing, despite reading it out loud as three quarters, I still added 3 spoonfulls the first time I bought Chilli flakes. Managed to realise before I stirred them when I noticed that half the jar was gone and scooped out and binned the majority of the flakes lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Liqourice Queen, I bow to your superior chilli knowledge, the recipe does indeed say 3/4 teaspoon and I automatically thought it was 3 or 4! What an idiot! :o

Awww bless! I love chilli, but am pleased for your sake that you didn't put either 3 (or worse, 4) tsp in! I have an iron constitution, but don't think I could have taken that :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Awww bless! I love chilli, but am pleased for your sake that you didn't put either 3 (or worse, 4) tsp in! I have an iron constitution, but don't think I could have taken that :eek:
    I Love Chilli Flakes (although bought some fresh Chillis for a change this week, they are so tastey!) but could never hand a teaspoon of them!

I like the food spicey but think half a teaspoon is even too much for me, I just add a sprinkle at a time until it tastes right.

I made the same mistake as you once with the 3/4 thing, despite reading it out loud as three quarters, I still added 3 spoonfulls the first time I bought Chilli flakes. Managed to realise before I stirred them when I noticed that half the jar was gone and scooped out and binned the majority of the flakes lol

Phew, just about returning to normal now! Well, you learn something everyday, and tonight's important lesson is STAY AWAY FROM CHILLI FLAKES!
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't do what I did when making salsa.

I know the rule that the smaller the chili the hotter the taste, but I was really busy and thought there wasn't enough in it so I added two more.

It was like eating fire...but it was fabulous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    Don't do what I did when making salsa.

I know the rule that the smaller the chili the hotter the taste, but I was really busy and thought there wasn't enough in it so I added two more.

It was like eating fire...but it was fabulous.

:D:D:D Glad I'm not the only one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I love chilli flakes, even sprinkle them on food like pasta at the table if it's needs that extra something! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D

3 teaspoons of chilli flakes though... Ouchy!!!!! :eek:

I've spilt the chilli flakes into the prawn and tomato pasta before. Not to the extent of 3 teaspoons but enough to make be me more careful of subsequent attempts.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claymore95 wrote: »
    I love chilli flakes, even sprinkle them on food like pasta at the table if it's needs that extra something! :D

The Chilli Flakes on the table in Pizza hut are my favourite part.

Which probably suggests I shouldn't go to Pizza Hut since its the condiments I love lol
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bunch of wooses!
    Enjoy the danger ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find they are a godsend
  • megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claymore95 wrote: »
    You're not a real man (or woman) until you add them to your morning cornflakes.