Options

tips for Los Angeles?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Hi all,
We're off to America soon. We've been before but never with kids and we've never flown into LA or driven in LA. We are doing a 4 day stop in LA on the way to Vegas/Grand Canyon- we've been to those before, but never LA. We're staying in Anaheim and taking our daughters to Disney. We quite fancy a trip to 'Hollywood' to see the famous sign and walk of fame etc...is it really a nightmare driving in LA? Is it really unsafe, hard to park etc? We've got to drive from LAX to Anaheim when we arrive (lunchtime) so I hope we don't get too stressed by LA traffic/jams! What else would you recommend, especially with children? (ours are 10 and 7)
Thanks
Mel

Comments

• Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they drive on the wrong side of the road
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »
    they drive on the wrong side of the road

No seriously? I didn't realise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meljduk wrote: »
    No seriously? I didn't realise!

their road systems are very organised and the roads are wide, don't worry

just stop and give way when you see a stop sign
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    We're off to America soon. We've been before but never with kids and we've never flown into LA or driven in LA. We are doing a 4 day stop in LA on the way to Vegas/Grand Canyon- we've been to those before, but never LA. We're staying in Anaheim and taking our daughters to Disney. We quite fancy a trip to 'Hollywood' to see the famous sign and walk of fame etc...is it really a nightmare driving in LA? Is it really unsafe, hard to park etc? We've got to drive from LAX to Anaheim when we arrive (lunchtime) so I hope we don't get too stressed by LA traffic/jams! What else would you recommend, especially with children? (ours are 10 and 7)
    Thanks
    Mel

Sounds like the trip we took last year although we were only in LA for two days.

We stayed at the Hotel Anaheim and I must confess that the car journey from the airport (after a long flight) was a bit of a nightmare. First bit of advice is, check that your SatNav actually works before you set off. Second, invest in maps as backup.

Although we had a hired car we copped out of driving in LA and booked some tours instead. Took the pressure off the driver and we didn't have to worry about parking. The driving was easy in some respects - low speed limit - but we did find it hard to get used to local rules.

Sorry, I've read that back and it sounds a bit alarming. It wasn't really - just took a bit of adjustment.

Have a great holiday!
  • Options
    big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Theres a nice bar in Paradise Cove in Malibu. I can't remember what we had but the food was very nice!!
    Its quite difficult to find a good view of the Hollywood sign from the ground... so I'm not really sure where your best view would be!
    Have a look at Manns Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard, its also where the stars are.
    Universal Studios was great fun and doesn't just have rides, they have special effects theatres and stage shows too. Lots of great comedy characters walking around.
    I saw on a travel programme the triangle between South Santa Monica Boulevard, North Beverley Drive and Wiltshire Boulveard is the best place to go starspotting - its where all the dentists, plastic surgeons etc are!!

I think the place to avoid is South Central. We went to downtown LA and it just seemed to be a lot of offices and skyscrapers, although I did go 10 years ago and I believe they have been trying to make something of it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »
    their road systems are very organised and the roads are wide, don't worry

just stop and give way when you see a stop sign

Am I right in thinking you can turn right at a junction when there is a red light as long as nothing is coming?

Might be wrong... don't try this at home without researching!!
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    is it really a nightmare driving in LA? Is it really unsafe, hard to park etc? We've got to drive from LAX to Anaheim when we arrive (lunchtime) so I hope we don't get too stressed by LA traffic/jams!

It's certainly not fun. It's not too bad around lunchtime, but 5 o'clock traffic is stop&go irritating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking you can turn right at a junction when there is a red light as long as nothing is coming?

It's legal in some states, LA being one of them, but only if there's no sign telling you otherwise... I believe you have to come to a complete STOP before turning also.....

My best advice about LA... go to Venice Beach, go to the theme parks, then get in a car and drive to Santa Monica, it's much nicer :D

Ohhh I forgot, find the dirt track that leads onto the road / path where you can walk as far as you can get to the Hollywood sign before getting arrested and or shot !

Nice !

http://www.btinternet.com/~Djeasty/la1.jpg

Exciting, as you can see from my overjoyed face.

http://www.btinternet.com/~Djeasty/la2.jpg

Views not bad either...

http://www.btinternet.com/~Djeasty/la3.jpg

Just don't go too far :D

http://www.btinternet.com/~Djeasty/la4.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

noooo, i meant this stop sign not traffic lights!

it means 'give way'
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone comes up to you in the street, shoot them.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

Yes. Right on red is OK as long as the intersection is clear... and the light is a red ball, not a red arrow.

Example of an intersection where you aren't allowed to turn right on red:

http://www.valleymetro.org/images/uploads/lightrail_images/no-right-turn-on-red.jpg
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your kids like Dinosaurs, then get down to the La Brea Tar Pits and the museum. Should waste an afternoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Yes. Right on red is OK as long as the intersection is clear... and the light is a red ball, not a red arrow.

Example of an intersection where you aren't allowed to turn right on red:

http://www.valleymetro.org/images/uploads/lightrail_images/no-right-turn-on-red.jpg

Thank you for clarification :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theres a nice bar in Paradise Cove in Malibu. I can't remember what we had but the food was very nice!!
    Its quite difficult to find a good view of the Hollywood sign from the ground... so I'm not really sure where your best view would be!
    Have a look at Manns Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard, its also where the stars are.
    Universal Studios was great fun and doesn't just have rides, they have special effects theatres and stage shows too. Lots of great comedy characters walking around.
    I saw on a travel programme the triangle between South Santa Monica Boulevard, North Beverley Drive and Wiltshire Boulveard is the best place to go starspotting - its where all the dentists, plastic surgeons etc are!!

I think the place to avoid is South Central. We went to downtown LA and it just seemed to be a lot of offices and skyscrapers, although I did go 10 years ago and I believe they have been trying to make something of it!

Oh and P.S. The Universal Studios backlot tour is fascinating if you like films.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Fransisco is lovely.
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Buy a gun.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sue anyone looking at you funny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    San Fransisco is lovely.

Agreed

Shame you are having to spend 4 days in LA, San Fran far superior as is Lake Tahoe in the winter months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed

Shame you are having to spend 4 days in LA, San Fran far superior as is Lake Tahoe in the winter months.

We went to San Fran on our honeymoon in 1998. Have never visited LA before and really wanted to take girls to Disney- have always wanted to see the Hollywood sign, walk of fame, Santa Monica etc..
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LA isn't one place but a lot of smaller places, there is actually no centre to L.A. the coastal towns of Santa Monica, Venice Beach etc are better and not far from Hollywood and Rodeo drive, although as someone said previously, we couldn't see the Hollywood sign.You could take a trip to Long Beach to see the Queen Mary, we stayed on it overnight. We drove from there down to San Diego and Tijuana in Mexico. Don't worry about driving on the ten lane freeways because the Americans are very lane disciplined and don't keep lane swapping as we do here and they don't exceed the 50mph speed limit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't hang around LAX any longer than you have to, particularly if it's dark,
    the airport borders a place called Inglewood and it's rough as a bears arse,
    i was there about 10 years ago, there was groups of young lads hanging around and obviousley out to rob somebody.

as other posters suggested, go to San Francisco, really beautiful place, the Alcatraz tour is fantastic,
    and if you like shopping for clothes etc, theres shopping outlets all over the place with all the major names and are really cheap,

hope you enjoy yourself.