Any Two Ronnies fans?

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I loved some of the Two Ronnies but the Two Ninnies parody is hilarious also :D
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I loved some of the Two Ronnies but the Two Ninnies parody is hilarious also :D

Yes it is, but Ronnie B hated it, allegedly. Ronnie C said he thought it was funny.:D Two Ninnies
  • LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Two Ronnies, even though I was quite young when they were first shown.

One of my favourites is the crossed lines sketch. And also the one in the pub when Ronnie C can't get his words out.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOVE them-real good classic comedy.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laroc wrote: »
    I loved the Two Ronnies, even though I was quite young when they were first shown.

One of my favourites is the crossed lines sketch. And also the one in the pub when Ronnie C can't get his words out.

Oh yes, forgot about those bits - I'm tearing up just thinking about them!

I heard an interview with David Renwick(?) the other week - he wrote the Rook restaurant sketch.

Customer : (Ronnie C) "Rook soup - I bet it tastes better than it sounds!"
    Waiter : (Ronnie B) "Bet it bleedin' doesn't..."
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is, but Ronnie B hated it, allegedly. Ronnie C said he thought it was funny.:D Two Ninnies

It was said to be the reason Ronnie B retired from showbiz.Rowan Atkinson has said since that it was always intended to be an affectionate parody and wasn't meant to have the effect on Ronnie B that it did have.

As for The Two Ronnies I loved them, the same with Morcambe & Wise although I think they were very different and comparing the two isn't really comparing like with like.

Same with Dave Allen, he was also very funny. Imagine the uproar today if a comedian appeared on TV sat on a stool with a **** in one hand and a glass of whiskey on a little table next to him!!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    Ronnie Barker was a genius and far funnier and cleverer than Morecambe and Wise!

No.

Ronnie was superb but M& W - particulraly - were something else.

Heard the great man of comedy Barry Cryer being interviewed early this year. he said Eric was the sharpest comedy mind he'd ever met.
    Same with Dave Allen, he was also very funny. Imagine the uproar today if a comedian appeared on TV sat on a stool with a **** in one hand and a glass of whiskey on a little table next to him!!

It wasn't whiskey.......
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    No.

Ronnie was superb but M& W - particulraly - were something else.

Heard the great man of comedy Barry Cryer being interviewed early this year. he said Eric was the sharpest comedy mind he'd ever met.

It wasn't whiskey.......

So what was it then?
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what was it then?

A friend of mine who I've known for many years (bit older than me) told me a few years ago that he used to work in the BBC Bar back in the early 1970s.

He was once trodden on by Angela Rippon - I said I hoped he didn't swear.

If he was working on the recording night for the Dave Allen shows he would know that, at a certain time, the 'runner' would come down - Mr Allen's glass would be ready.

It would contain non vintage Moet en Chandon Champagne.

He said that Dave Allen was a very clever man (trained in the Law) but was quite serious, almost reserved, when not on screen.
  • johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    My favourite sketch ever when I was growing up was one where Ronnie Barker was a shopkeeper and Ronnie Corbett (dressed as an Arab) was the customer - and he spelt out in letters everything he was trying to buy on his shopping list - like C of E for coffee, etc.

I liked it even more than the fork handles sketch - but cannot find it on You Tube and it's not on any compilation tape I've bought of theirs either. :(:(
    Have no idea why I can't get to see it again. :cry:

That is also one of my favourite sketches (the Arab/corner shop one), and I have a link to YouTube that had the sketch on, but having just checked it, it's no longer available as the accoutn that uploaded it has gone. :(

If it helps to source it, it was taken from 'The Two Ronnies in Australia' series, which was basically the sketch show but done in/for Australian TV, and probably why it has never been on any of the compilations/BBC/Gold re-runs over the years.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I managed to get hold of "By The Sea"and "The Picnic" on DVD (VHS transfer but great quality). Two dialogue free comedy films starring the Two Ronnies. Excellent stuff.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,209
    Forum Member
    Ronnie B:Tickle your botty with a feather tonight
    Barmaid:I beg your pardon
    Ronnie B:I said 'Particularly grotty weather tonight':D
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Phil Collins the musical guest on the 1986 series?
    Also I know Lynsey de Paul was a regular in the 1972 series, when her career was starting out, but I'm sure Pan's People appeared on the show around the same time.

In 1986 Phil Collins was a musical guest - he alternated with a female singer, so was on every other week of that series.

The female singer was. . ..

''Ladies And Gentleman, Miss Barbara Dickson'' :D
    Forum Member
    I've been watching some of the original TV shows from Season 3 - Barker is so great and clever with language and wordplay, etc but I find the innuendo a bit tiring :o I know it was the time, but even then they seemed to have girls 20 or 30 years younger than they were used as furniture :(
    They were pretty though :):o But still...
    The lengthy TV/serial spoofs (eg The Onedin Line sketch) outstay their welcome easily.
    Loved the wordplay sketches with them messing around - eg Limerick Clinic :D
    Forum Member
    I've been watching some of the original TV shows from Season 3 - Barker is so great and clever with language and wordplay, etc but I find the innuendo a bit tiring :o I know it was the time, but even then they seemed to have girls 20 or 30 years younger than they were used as furniture :(
    They were pretty though :):o But still...
    The lengthy TV/serial spoofs (eg The Onedin Line sketch) outstay their welcome easily.
    Loved the wordplay sketches with them messing around - eg Limerick Clinic :D

One of my favourites Limerick Clinic,and the clinic nurse was a young Julia Mackenzie:D
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love their songs but particularly love: Bold Sir John http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woqfb12h4y4 and Plumstead Ladies Male Voice Choir http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHEcJLY2gU&feature=related
    Forum Member
    I just finished watching S3 - IMO Ronnie B was the more talented (not saying Ronnie C wasnt good though) - I loved the sketches when they were messing about with language eg Limerick Clinic or (P)ismonouniation (sp?) :D
    Forum Member
    I just finished watching S3 - IMO Ronnie B was the more talented (not saying Ronnie C wasnt good though) - I loved the sketches when they were messing about with language eg Limerick Clinic or (P)ismonouniation (sp?) :D

You said that last week:D
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two ninnies were much better and funnier than the two ronnies imo.
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    You said that last week:D

Sorry :D:o
    Forum Member
    Sorry :D:o

no worries it was gd enough to post twice:)
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the Two Ronnie's to Morecombe & Wise.

Although its a bit like saying I prefer an expensive, vintage claret to an expensive vintage white wine.

Both outstanding, more a matter of personal taste.

I think they were a bit different in that there wasn't a 'straight man' in the double act.

I think with a lot of past popular double acts, you could replace one part with someone else and still have a show.

Cannon & Ball and Little & large spring to mind, mostly Cannon and Little were there to feed the antics or gags of the partner.

To a certain extent Morecombe & Wise were the same, but they had a very unique chemistry, which comes through in the shows
  • Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did enjoy the 2 Ronnies, the sketches were so brillantly written.
    Apart from the Four Candles sketch my favourites are:

Swear Box
    Mastermind
    Deaf In The Trenches
    Crossed Lines
    Squash Match
    Round of Drinks
    Forum Member
    The 'Rupert' sendup with Ronnie Corbett as 'Rupert Baird' in the yellow check trousers and red jumper and Barker as a reporter from Nationwide is very clever IMO:D
    Forum Member
    The Mastermind sketch is genius comedy! :D:D
    I love the sketch from the season I'm watching now (S3) with Ronnie B as a sports commentator mixing up all the sports :) Also in one episode, maybe theres the genesis of the Mastermind sketch... in one where Ronnie seems to guess what the other one is saying before they've said it....