Options

Slim Fast 3-2-1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone tried the Slim Fast 3-2-1 diet?

For those of you who haven't heard of the diet, it involves eating 3 snacks a day (Slim Fast's own 95 calorie snacks, fruit/veg, or nuts/seeds), 2 Slim Fast shakes or meal bars (each containing around 200 calories), and 1 balanced meal containing 600 calories.

This means you're eating just over 1200 calories a day.

I currently weigh 9st 6lb (132lb) and I'm 5'4. This puts me in the normal BMI range. However I really want to lose those 6lb.

I had a baby 9 months ago. Before my pregnancy I weighed 9st 2lb (128lb) and I went up to 10st 4lb (144lb) by the time I had my baby. I lost most of the weight pretty much straight away, but I'm stuck with this last bit of weight. I'd love to get down to 9st (126lb) so I can be a slim size 10 instead of going between a 10 and a 12. I still have weight around my face and an awful baby belly which I'm really self conscious about. I can't wear any of the fitted clothes I used to, so instead wear high-waisted jeans which suck everything in or dresses that go out at the waist, with lovely Magic Knickers underneath! :o I know 6lb is nothing but I'm finding it so hard.

I signed up to My Fitness Pal so I could calorie count and I've mosly been eating 1200 calories a day (sometimes less and very rarely a little bit over 1200 if I've gone out for dinner or something). I also walk with the pushchair for at least 30 mins, 3 times a week. But nothing is happening.

I've got my work Xmas party in a few weeks. I'm still on Mat Leave so haven't seen some of my colleagues for ages and I'd love to just look good and feel confident. I know I'm not going to lose 6lb in a few weeks (nor is it recommended) but I'd love to be on my way to shifting a few pounds.

Just to add, in case it's useful, I can't afford to go to the gym whatsoever and my weekly food budget (for the three of us) is £40.

Would anyone recommend a Slim Fast diet?

Comments

• Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For 6lb I wouldn't bother with a diet, just eat healthy and exercise. Try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred., it's hard work but just under half an hour's workout a day tones you up :) I lost 9lbs doing it and I wasn't even eating healthily, but I'm also alot heavier than you...
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did slimfast after my second child just for two weeks. I didn't do it like that though, I just had three proper meals a day and a shake in stead of the snakcing between. I lost 9lb and never put it back on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're aiming to have 1200 calories a day on slimfast but you are already eating that much just with sensible eating then why start spending money on slimfast products?? Or have i read that wrong?

The tummy may never go back to how it was, i'm sure i read somewhere that the stomach muscles can be stretched beyond repair?? i may be wrong though.

Try more water, faster walking and you may lose it
  • Options
    tim1966tim1966 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    1200 is 1200 calories! As long as they are balanced and and healthy you will lose weight without getting ill. However, 1200 is very low calorie and not that advisable for anything but short term dieting. I personally would prefer 1200 calories of 'real' food to expensive slimfast products.

You would be much better eating about 1500 and losing the weight over a longer period. In this way it is more likely to stay off, you are less likely to cheat because you are too hungry and you are less less likely to suffer from weight rebound when you eventually raise your caloric intake to a maintenance level of approximately 2000 calories.

Just my random thoughts :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calculating your BMR

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Entered your height, weight and sex. Put 30 as age. That gives base BMR 1389

You need to multiply that by a factor based on your activity level,

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Assuming thr first case, that give BMR of 1666

So if you are eating 450 calories less then that then in the course of a week you are 3150 calories under which is just short of a pound of fat (3,500 calories) and within the recommended guidelines for rate of weight loss.

However I would really suggest that you eat that as real food. I really, really, really suggest you invest a bit of time and look online on healthy eating. Even 20 hours spent educating yourself will pay off in a lifetime of better health.

Also you say that you have no money for a gym. I hear that excuse over and over again on this forum and every single time I will give the same reply. You don't need to go to a gym. There are plenty of exercises you can do without spending a single penny from simple walking to a resistance based routine that will take 30 minutes a day. Have a look on youtube, there are hundreds of suggestions under resistance training.

Also exercising will allow to increase your calorie allowance and sill lose weight and of course it will greatly improve your quality of life.

Finally as for food budget. Skip the slim fast crap and you are instantly saving money. Instead spend the money on real food. After you have educated yourself on healthy eating as I have suggested you will realise that when people think that it costs more to eat healthy is in fact a myth. It costs less to eat health as you will be eating plenty of cheap fruit and veg and stop eating and drinking processed crap.

If you are really struggling to do this on your own, then I suggest finding a friend who is also trying to change their lifestyle and you work on this together.