How to Make the Perfect Mashed Potato?

13»

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Peel the tatties and KEEP THE PEEL. Rinse the tatties until the water runs clear (to remove the starch). Put on to boil (next time I'll try not to cut them too small). Boil the skins in milk (I usually add a bay leaf ot two) and once boiled put to the side to cool.. When the tatties are soft, drain and put through a ricer. Add the (strained) milk and butter and mash a bit more - fork, masher or whisk depending on how smooth you want the mash. This doesn't take any longer, has better flavour and only has an extra milk pan to wash up afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Here is my method:

1. boil potato to cooked
    2. take out your masher
    3. mash it with salt, butter, and cream
    4. repeat until it turns into mashed potato:D
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just drain the potatoes, add a bit of warm milk and butter, and mash with a fork against the sides of the pan. Taste for seasoning and that's it.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    personally, I prefer "crushed potato" rather than mashed, it gives it a bit of texture.
    I also keep the skins on, just chop em up, boil them, drain them, add creme fresh, garlic, pepper (no salt) and mash til they're crushed enough.

The best way to make sure it's tasty mash, though is simple. Grow your own spuds, they're way tastier than anything you buy from a supermarket :)

I prefer crushed spuds too (flatmate will only crush new potatoes, but I love any potato skin). Butter only is my preference (and yes degsy, I first had them in Browns about 30 years ago).

If we are having skins off and mashing, I refuse to use the ricer. I like a bit of texture now, which is funny considering 'lumpy' mash was the bane of school dinners.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just drain the potatoes, add a bit of warm milk and butter, and mash with a fork against the sides of the pan. Taste for seasoning and that's it.

Same here. :) I've never had lumpy mash. No danger of over beating. You just mash the lumps quickly and that's it.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who knew that there were 55 ways to mash potato,
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's number 56 ;) I never boil potatoes unless they are new ones I steam them, they never go "wet" when steamed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    delphinous wrote: »
    Here is my method:

1. boil potato to cooked
    2. take out your masher
    3. mash it with salt, butter, and cream4. repeat until it turns into mashed potato:D

a blob of cream cheese i added to mine tonight..real tasty and smooth..no lumps ! :D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    And i bet she kept t' skin on! :D

Can I mash potatoes with the skin on after boiling them? :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

It does not look nice, but yes you can.

Sometimes I add a bit of grated grana padano or crushed garlic for a different taste, but salt, butter, and milk is all it needs.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I'll try that (the garlic) as well. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    If the skins are clean then for the they are the best part.

If you get white potatoes then you won't notice it as much.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Here's number 56 ;) I never boil potatoes unless they are new ones I steam them, they never go "wet" when steamed.
    Steaming has been mentioned several times already.

For the best tasting potatoes, I recommend M & S loose baking potatoes (Maris Piper). They taste like potatoes used to. :)