• Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To The person that started the thread, goodbye
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It is a drama production! It's not light entertainment. I see drama, as drama.... people can call EE miserable but, personally not how I see it.
    drama
    ˈdrɑːmə/
    noun
    noun: drama; plural noun: dramas

a play for theatre, radio, or television.
    synonyms: play, show, piece, theatrical work, spectacle, dramatization;
    screenplay

synonyms: acting, the theatre, the stage, the performing arts, dramatic art, dramatics, dramaturgy, stagecraft, theatricals, theatrics, the thespian art, show business; More
    performing, performance, playing a role, appearing on stage;
    informalthe boards, treading the boards, show biz;
    rarethespianism, histrionics

an exciting, emotional, or unexpected event or circumstance.

I don't see misery and angst in any of those definitions. I also don't see anything about it not being able to be amusing or light-hearted.

And as for number 2 - none of EE is exciting, emotional or unexpected. It's the same week after week, which is why I don't watch it.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I get where the OP is coming from.

There doesn't seem to be much balance. There are only a collection of writers who take notice of little things such as comedic value.

It's starting to get unrealistic that a town could face so much trauma from day-to-day. Of course, the entire premise of EastEnders is that Walford's full of chaos, but I don't remember it ever being as traumatic as it is now, especially with the moody Carters about town.

None of you can tell me off and tell me I don't watch the show because you all know I watch the show. :p
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    EastEnders is not depressing. It's just not always sweetness and light. EastEnders can do happy moments and we have had many. EastEnders is more of a Drama than a soap.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    EastEnders is not depressing. It's just not always sweetness and light. EastEnders can do happy moments and we have had many. EastEnders is more of a Drama than a soap.
    What's the difference between a drama and a soap? A soap is a serial drama originally in America on 5 days a week, aimed at women while they were doing the housework, showing everyday situations and sponsored by detergent companies. They were referred to as kitchen sink dramas or soap operas.

Unfortunately, EE has moved well away from everyday situations and goes for sensationalism instead.

One American vlogger thinks EE is a scripted reality show and is shocked that the death wasn't in the news and nobody called the police. He also thinks the people in it overact and something should be done to stop the "illegal crimes" shown in it.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I did think the scene last week where a whole set of characters sat in Dot's living room, coming up with the idea to hide Nick's body to be packed with dark humour. Brilliantly played out with Kush, the newest character, sitting there thinking ''WTF?!'' :D

Comedy is subjective. I just think EastEnders manage to play it in a subtle manner.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE started with a death!!

Its always been doom and gloom. That's probably why I was drawn to it in 1985 rather than watch (at the time) a show about a farm or a show about ordinary people. It makes your own life seem OK when compared to the misery in Walford.

I still think soaps have had there day as they are seen to tackle issues rather than tell a story (whether its a happy or sad ending). Its like issue tick boxing. Cancer. Yep tackled that put up helpline. Rape. Yep tackled that put up helpline.

Of course if its helped people then that is good news but soaps used to be fictional and tell a good story and not worry about the impact on the audience.
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with what DTC said when he said that Eastenders was always meant to be a gripping, powerful drama and that if you wanted a soap about constant happiness and warmth then Easfenders isn't the soap for you (or something to that effect anyway)

Eastenders has some light hearted moments but recently they've been kept to a minimum and I think deep down that's how I prefer my Eastenders to be. I'd much rather have a gritty rape storyline and Lucy's death than the escaped snake and Dexter's kidney storylines that we had under Newman
  • Options
    BBKINGREALITYBBKINGREALITY Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not gritty storylines thats the issue, its the imbalance & the vile characters it presents us with.

I watch the big 3 soaps religiously & EE is by far the most miserable. Corrie & ED have more of a warmth about them & characters that are likeable & down to earth. DTC hasn't 'bettered' EE because its still as miserable as its always been..
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is. And that's why millions love it.

One of the best things about EE is that a lot of its humour is embedded within the darkness of it all. You got a lot of subtle, black comedy from characters like Jean, Janine, Michael / more currently the Nick/Dot/Charlie/Ronnie stuff.

When it tries not to be this, you get the Lorraine Newman failures.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    I don't agree that EE has always been unremitting misery. I watched it from about 5 years after it started to about 5 years ago. So, 20 years in all. There used to be light relief and normal, everyday family interactions and community.

The dreadful and poorly-acted Danielle storyline made me become an occasional viewer and that petered out to nothing as the SLs became more and more miserable and there were fewer and fewer characters who were likable or had any kind of moral compass.

The last time I tuned in was for Pat week, when although the story was sad, they were concentrating on some of their strongest actors - Pam St Clement, Lindsay Coulson, Michael French - and I was moved and impressed by it.

After all of the superlatives flying around on here, I watched the omnibus of live week at the weekend, and I honestly thought it was dreadful. Murder, manslaughter, misery, unwanted pregnancy, assault, drunkeness, ham acting from pretty much everyone and the 'live' inserts that meant that for continuity the whole week had to look like it was shot in darkness even if the scenes were meant to be in the middle of the day.

I guess I won't be returning to Walford any time soon.
  • Options
    mad-1mad-1 Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the more miserable EE is the better it is, I never understand people constantly moaning about EE when its always been this way.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Its not gritty storylines thats the issue, its the imbalance & the vile characters it presents us with.

I watch the big 3 soaps religiously & EE is by far the most miserable. Corrie & ED have more of a warmth about them & characters that are likeable & down to earth. DTC hasn't 'bettered' EE because its still as miserable as its always been..
    No it isn't!
    EastEnders has humour but it's more sarcastic and dark then Slap stick. EastEnders has witty comments and great one-liners where as Corrie will go for slap stick.
    If i want slap stick i will watch a comedy show. EastEnders has never been a lighthearted show and when it has tried it's failed because that's not what it's viewers expect.

I won't watch any TV show i don't like.

If anyone is every wondering why EastEnders isn't lighthearted as much as Corrie then they have never actually understood the show and have wasted years watching a show they don't understand.

2011-2013 EastEnders was terrible and why was that?

The Dark grit was dropped and we had all these lighter scenes with pointless Comedy scenes. Viewers complained and turned off. The Dark Grit comes back and EastEnders ratings and praise rises. Funny that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't agree that EE has always been unremitting misery. I watched it from about 5 years after it started to about 5 years ago. So, 20 years in all. There used to be light relief and normal, everyday family interactions and community.

The dreadful and poorly-acted Danielle storyline made me become an occasional viewer and that petered out to nothing as the SLs became more and more miserable and there were fewer and fewer characters who were likable or had any kind of moral compass.

The last time I tuned in was for Pat week, when although the story was sad, they were concentrating on some of their strongest actors - Pam St Clement, Lindsay Coulson, Michael French - and I was moved and impressed by it.

After all of the superlatives flying around on here, I watched the omnibus of live week at the weekend, and I honestly thought it was dreadful. Murder, manslaughter, misery, unwanted pregnancy, assault, drunkeness, ham acting from pretty much everyone and the 'live' inserts that meant that for continuity the whole week had to look like it was shot in darkness even if the scenes were meant to be in the middle of the day.

I guess I won't be returning to Walford any time soon.
    They wasn't! Ian and Jane were having a 'Evening wedding' which was mentioned the other week with Characters saying that's different.

There has been plenty of Community spirit of late and that's one thing DTC bought back when he came producer last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2011-2013 Lightness in EastEnders was terrible. Bin Bags no being emptied
    Cold cuts missing from Dot's Fridge it was crap and not something you'd expect from EastEnders. No when such rubbish was the main storylines.

As a long term viewer i stuck by EastEnders and didn't miss and episode. Loving it once again now. EastEnders has it's balls back again :)
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched EE now for about 25 years and the thing that keeps me tuning in is the gritty storylines, characters i (mostly) love and the generally great acting. I do not watch it for laughs/humour, although it is there, it's just not as obvious or frequent as Corrie for example. I love it and probably always will. There's something about it for me that other soaps just can't touch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've watched EE now for about 25 years and the thing that keeps me tuning in is the gritty storylines, characters i (mostly) love and the generally great acting. I do not watch it for laughs/humour, although it is there, it's just not as obvious or frequent as Corrie for example. I love it and probably always will. There's something about it for me that other soaps just can't touch.
    Spot on.
    The humour has always been there but like you say it's not obvious like Corrie and i'm glad about that. Again if i want to laugh i'd watch a comedy.

I love EastEnders and care about the characters. It gripped me 20 odd years ago and i will be watching it until i am dead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    drama
    ˈdrɑːmə/
    noun

screenplay

synonyms: acting, the theatre, the stage, the performing arts, dramatic art, dramatics, dramaturgy, stagecraft, theatricals, theatrics, the thespian art, show business; More

I don't see misery and angst in any of those definitions. I also don't see anything about it not being able to be amusing or light-hearted.

And as for number 2 - none of EE is exciting, emotional or unexpected. It's the same week after week, which is why I don't watch it.

And drab, dismal and unintelligible. I have no idea what language they shout in.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general fact that EE is always lambasted for being miserable as opposed to it's rivals says a lot about its cultural status
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Spot on.
    The humour has always been there but like you say it's not obvious like Corrie and i'm glad about that. Again if i want to laugh i'd watch a comedy.

I love EastEnders and care about the characters. It gripped me 20 odd years ago and i will be watching it until i am dead.

You sound as if you are a true fan and from what you say, it sounds like you 'get it. ' I Just love the drama of it all. I have a happy full busy life but I always make room for Easties, it's part of my life. Some would say that's sad but it makes my already good life better and im proud to say it!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wyezed wrote: »
    And drab, dismal and unintelligible. I have no idea what language they shout in.
    Why do you care so much to post then?
    I understand them fine and i'm not a Londoner nor do i Live near London.
    Janet43 wrote: »
    drama
    ˈdrɑːmə/
    noun

screenplay

You don't watch it.
    Case closed then.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is always miserable, there are plenty of times when you see the characters happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You sound as if you are a true fan and from what you say, it sounds like you 'get it. ' I Just love the drama of it all. I have a happy full busy life but I always make room for Easties, it's part of my life. Some would say that's sad but it makes my already good life better and im proud to say it!!
    Thank you :)
    EastEnders is the only soap i've kept room for over the years. All the others i have given up at some point. Emmerdale,Neighbours and Home and away i loved for years but never to the extent of EastEnders.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I don't think it is always miserable, there are plenty of times when you see the characters happy.

I agree.

Having said that, we always know someone will either die or have some kind of tragedy over the Christmas period. As long as there's a Walford, Christmas wont be merry.
    From Den handing Angie the divorce papers on crimbo day, to the Carters having a melt down most recently.

We all know it's going to be a bit doomed at times. But that's ok. It's in part why we watch.

It's not all misery however. And the people who state that it is are wrong.
  • Options
    BBKINGREALITYBBKINGREALITY Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The characters are loathsome. This Lucy beale story dragged on for 13 soddin months all for someone who nobody cares about. Thats always been the problem with EE, characters like frank butcher & stan carter are rare exceptions. The majority of the cast have no humility & aren't endearing to the everyday person.