Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you wear when in 'full on work mode'?

:D:D

I try to make myself look presentable, so a nice shirt, and trousers, and a jacket.

So no jeans, hooded tops or anything that could be classed as "sporty".
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite why that was needed I don't know, was what I said there really deserving of such a reply?

You have a dirty mind.

Immanuel Kant is a famous philosopher, and that sounded like a philosophical quote.

I call him 'Imma' in the same way that you have pet names for football people (Sir Fergie, the Ginger Prince, Sir Booby, Adnan, etc.).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Some of them definitely shouldn't be.

It's honestly not an attempt to insult you, but there's absolutely no way to sugar coat it. If your 50000+ posts here are in any way representative of your writing style you're not an up and comer, anything involving language or conveying a message isn't your thing. Look how often you're embroiled in confusion here alone in an average week.

Fair enough, but when I was writing for the paper and programme, I would put in huge effort to research everything, and to do far more double checking for crammer errors then I do here.

This is just a place to freely discuss the club, without any special requirements like on a newspaper, or that is the way I view it anyway.

That is not a knock on DS, just more that I view this as more of social and relaxing thing, more then something that I need to be serious with, if I spell a word wrong, or misplace a hyphen, or something doesn't quite make sense here, then it is not the end of the world, whereas it would be far more serious on a newspaper or programme.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to make myself look presentable, so a nice shirt, and trousers, and a jacket.

So no jeans, hooded tops or anything that could be classed as "sporty".

That's good. But when do you wear these things? If I was a property developer I'd wear jeans all the time. I wouldn't feel the need to maintain a dress-code when going to paint some walls in my new gaff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a dirty mind.

Immanuel Kant is a famous philosopher, and that sounded like a philosophical quote.

I call him 'Imma' in the same way that you have pet names for football people (Sir Fergie, the Ginger Prince, Sir Booby, Adnan, etc.).

If you do, good for you, we all need some individuality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    That's good. But when do you wear these things? If I was a property developer I'd wear jeans all the time. I wouldn't feel the need to maintain a dress-code when going to paint some walls in my new gaff.

Each to their own, but I like to hire people to do the painting and decorating, so I wouldn't be doing them, I would more than likely let a professional do the work.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not buying it. You don't magically lose the ability to form a cogent sentence based on the medium used and no newspaper earns enough commission for extraneous use of commas per paragraph to hire such a writer. It's nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own, but I like to hire people to do the painting and decorating, so I wouldn't be doing them, I would more than likely let a professional do the work.

But then at what point do you need to wear business attire?

I sell second-hand/antique furniture primarily online through ebay. I can't imagine when I'd ever need to dress professionally. So I don't really understand for what you wear suit for. It seems bit unnecessary to wear business wear or adhere to a dress code unless you have a proper job, that neither of us two does.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, but when I was writing for the paper and programme, I would put in huge effort to research everything, and to do far more double checking for crammer errors then I do here.

This is just a place to freely discuss the club, without any special requirements like on a newspaper, or that is the way I view it anyway.

That is not a knock on DS, just more that I view this as more of social and relaxing thing, more then something that I need to be serious with, if I spell a word wrong, or misplace a hyphen, or something doesn't quite make sense here, then it is not the end of the world, whereas it would be far more serious on a newspaper or programme.

Do you mean grammar? :D
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you a total slave driver? Threatening them with the sack if the job isn't done by lunchtime?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a total slave driver? Threatening them with the sack if the job isn't done by lunchtime?

When I have the painters in I tend to be quite irritable myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then at what point do you need to wear business attire?

I sell second-hand/antique furniture primarily online through ebay. I can't imagine when I'd ever need to dress professionally. So I don't really understand for what you wear suit for. It seems bit unnecessary to wear business wear or adhere to a dress code unless you have a proper job, that neither of us two does.

I guess I just like to look presentable for myself, I used to wear a lot of "sporty" stuff when I was younger, but I guess I have got passed that phase.
    Now I just like to look good for myself, I might have a viewing that I might go to, so in that case I don't want to have to get changed, I want to be already in suitable attaire so to speak.

I guess everything is down to each individual, that is just my own personal feelings anyway.
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Do you mean grammar? :D

Drat, yeah, yes I do.

Oh no, that is not me at all!

I would like a job doing to a high standard, if that takes a while to do, then so be it, but at the same time, I wouldn't want them taking lots of breaks etc, I would want them to do a professional job.
    Forum Member
    When I have the painters in I tend to be quite irritable myself.

That's worse than United playing at home.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hire people as well Batdude to come and do jobs for me Batdude, only I dont pay over the odds to them, I just get the council workmen in to do any jobs that need doing, someone cam in and changed a lightbulb for me the other week, another one come and fixed my toilet for me, didnt cost a penny.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hire people as well Batdude to come and do jobs for me Batdude, only I dont pay over the odds to them, I just get the council workmen in to do any jobs that need doing, someone cam in and changed a lightbulb for me the other week, another one come and fixed my toilet for me, didnt cost a penny.

And I wondered why my council tax was so bloody high.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Nope, not buying it. You don't magically lose the ability to form a cogent sentence based on the medium used and no newspaper earns enough commission for extraneous use of commas per paragraph to hire such a writer. It's nonsense.

You do realise you'll have to explain all that lot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

Clearly not expecting someone to dot all the 'i's and cross all the 't's here, but still ...

Moreover, isn't it very important to be able to comprehend stories and what you're being told?

You so often miscomprehend what folk have been saying on DS, getting the wrong end of the stick, that I'd fear for your paper's legal bills.

Or is DS just a place to take the **** ?
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I wondered why my council tax was so bloody high.

Tis the trouble of being a shortie, even on a stall I struggle to change a light bulb, last time I tried I nearly fell off and broke my arm, much better to phone the council and get a workman in to do it, may as well get my money's worth out of them they charge enough in rent and council tax. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always good to see a guy in a suit. My brother started wearing suits when he left school. He only had one but he always wore a black tie and white shirt. He thought he looked super grown-up until we felt sorry for him and pointed out he was going about looking for jobs dressed like an undertaker :D

It was quite funny really. Each morning when he left the house the neighbours must have thought he was going to a funeral. Really, black suit, white shirt and black tie. He laughs about it himself now, although we still tease him mercilessly about it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, tonight's game shouldn't be a problem if we're on course to finish in the top 4. That's not to say it won't be, of course. Really hope we stick with Rooney and Falcao in as an advanced partnership, with Falcao playing ahead with Rooney behind him.

I'd also persevere with Di Maria too. Yes he's been awful lately but I think you'd best have him in the team than not as he might turn it around. It contradicts what I think about other players (e.g "you don't play then in the hope they'll stop being terrible") but with talent like Di Maria I make an exception.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I predict Mata wont start.
    Forum Member
    It's always good to see a guy in a suit. My brother started wearing suits when he left school. He only had one but he always wore a black tie and white shirt. He thought he looked super grown-up until we felt sorry for him and pointed out he was going about looking for jobs dressed like an undertaker :D

It was quite funny really. Each morning when he left the house the neighbours must have thought he was going to a funeral. Really, black suit, white shirt and black tie. He laughs about it himself now, although we still tease him mercilessly about it!!

There's a fine line with men's outfits. They either go over the top with suits or some god awful bomber jacket style thing that went out in the early 80s!!

I once went out with someone who shopped at charity shops *vom*

All his clothes smelt of death and lavender.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

Oh no, that is not me at all!

I would like a job doing to a high standard, if that takes a while to do, then so be it, but at the same time, I wouldn't want them taking lots of breaks etc, I would want them to do a professional job.

I assume that you mean "I do" rather than "I would", because we're not talking theoretical here ...
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »

All his clothes smelt of death and lavender.

What's not to find sexy in that, though the main question should be why he was buying old people's clothes as I assume you weren't dating a grandad.
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    What's not to find sexy in that, though the main question should be why he was buying old people's clothes as I assume you weren't dating a grandad.

I honestly don't know why. He wasn't poor or anything. I suspect his mum had a hand in his clothes choice but charity shop outfits are wrong on sooooo many levels.
This discussion has been closed.