Companion Missy!?!

JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
Forum Member
This popped up on my Facebook feed:
https://www.facebook.com/DW50thZone/photos/a.292114147488889.77412.292111747489129/937642716269359/?type=1
The Doctors Life long frenemy 'The Master' aka Missy in her most recent form is about to become a fully fledged companion for season 9.

Missy begs the Doctor and Clara to harbour her as both she and the Doctor are in mortal peril from an unknown villain intent on wiping out the Time Lord race.

Michelle Gomez is signed on for the whole of Series 9.
Is this true? I've certainly not seen this picture of Missy wearing a Vortex Manipulator before.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read that second-hand before tracing it back to that Facebook page. With the majority of supposed plot spoilers posted there - it's not that likely to be accurate. There's certainly no news about Michelle Gomez being signed on for the whole series. Plenty of photoshop on display too.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gather that episodes 3 and 4 (a 2-part ghost story by Toby Whitehouse) were filmed before episodes 1 and 2 and there has been no indication that Michelle Gomez was filming that story.

Although episodes 1 and 2 were filmed on location, out-and-about in Cardiff and Tenerife and it's hard to keep that sort of filming secret, whereas if the ghost story was filmed in the studio or in indoor locations, it would be easier to keep cast details from public knowledge.

The suggested plot, though, would fit in with the clip posted in the Spoilers and Information thread:
    Clara: You came here for my help.
    Missy: Because the Doctor is in danger.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    At this point I'm going to guess it's wild rumour and nothing more. Though if they haven't filmed that many episodes yet, then who knows. If it were true(which I doubt) they probably wouldn't have reached a point where it was so obvious that they'd have to officially announce it yet.

If it did actually turn out to be true, I would initially be happy, as Missy is great, but then I'd wonder how they could possibly make such a dynamic of Missy hanging around every episode while the doctor is trying to have adventures possibly work. If they showed Missy helping in his adventures and trying to be good, it wouldn't really be true to the character.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just would stop watching if this was true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    One episode a series is more than enough for that OTT pantomime villain for my taste.:)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If they showed Missy helping in his adventures and trying to be good, it wouldn't really be true to the character.

While I don't think Missy would ever try to be good, it's not the first time the Doctor and the Master have been forced to work together.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Please PLEASE let this story be true!!!
    Forum Member
    While I don't think Missy would ever try to be good, it's not the first time the Doctor and the Master have been forced to work together.
    Oh, I could certainly imagine the 'working together' scenario for say a two parter amount of time, but surely they've never worked together for such length as what a whole series would amount to.

It's hard to imagine they would be able to successfully keep a truce for so long, and I don't know how they'd be able to do stand alone stories with MIssy around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I could certainly imagine the 'working together' scenario for say a two parter amount of time, but surely they've never worked together for such length as what a whole series would amount to.

It's hard to imagine they would be able to successfully keep a truce for so long, and I don't know how they'd be able to do stand alone stories with MIssy around.

This

Maybe in the first story, when Missy and Clara are together, it'll look as if Missy is going to turn over a new leaf and then at some point she'll resort to type and try to sacrifice Clara to save her own skin from some danger.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

iaindb wrote: »
    This

Maybe in the first story, when Missy and Clara are together, it'll look as if Missy is going to turn over a new leaf and then at some point she'll resort to type and try to sacrifice Clara to save her own skin from some danger.

Or the whole thing could be another set-up, with Missy having been doing nefarious things in the background under the skein of 'helping and being helped through necessity' - even going so far as to pretend to be grudgingly accepting the Doctor's help, when in fact it's all part of further machinations to break the Doctor.

It's not difficult to imagine someone with enough need or desire sucking it up for long enough to get their desired outcome.

Also, the Master is adept at getting under people's and the Doctor's skin and into their minds to manipulate them. How better to gain maximum manipulation than by ensnaring trust through prolonged exposure and proximity?
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Or the whole thing could be another set-up, with Missy having been doing nefarious things in the background under the skein of 'helping and being helped through necessity' - even going so far as to pretend to be grudgingly accepting the Doctor's help, when in fact it's all part of further machinations to break the Doctor.

It's not difficult to imagine someone with enough need or desire sucking it up for long enough to get their desired outcome.

Also, the Master is adept at getting under people's and the Doctor's skin and into their minds to manipulate them. How better to gain maximum manipulation than by ensnaring trust through prolonged exposure and proximity?

Now this would be good.:)

Would be great also if we as viewers in this scenario knew nothing about her intentions, and her actions in the series were so convincing, like maybe appearing to almost sacrifice herself and help others, that we as an audience were convinced she'd genuinely changed too, right up until the finale, when the facade drops and her plan is revealed.

Would be a big ask to actually convince us Missy had gone good, but would be great if they were able to pull something like that off.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy as a companion would be circumspect, minding her Ps and Qs:D

Missy- Doctor, say something nice to the pirate
    The Doctor - Nice parrot
    Parrot-Doctor who?
    Missy- Now look what you have done
    The Doctor-I said something nice, Clara, say something
    Clara- Well, the parrot can talk.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he does he will probably live to regret it. Would Clara really want to be anywhere near Missy after what she did ?. Two psychopaths and a control freak would make a crowded tardis. Plus why would the tardis herself let Missy come on board?. Remember when she was still a he the master hurt the tardis turning her into a paradox machine. That's not something "Sexy" is likely to forgive or forget easily!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he does he will probably live to regret it. Would Clara really want to be anywhere near Missy after what she did ?. Two psychopaths and a control freak would make a crowded tardis. Plus why would the tardis herself let Missy come on board?. Remember when she was still a he the master hurt the tardis turning her into a paradox machine. That's not something "Sexy" is likely to forgive or forget easily!.

No, but Steven Moffett might.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    One episode a series is more than enough for that OTT pantomime villain for my taste.:)
    You realise that it wouldn't be the first time that the Master was in an entire season. He was in every story in Jon Pertwee's second season.
    CD93 wrote: »
    I read that second-hand before tracing it back to that Facebook page. With the majority of supposed plot spoilers posted there - it's not that likely to be accurate. There's certainly no news about Michelle Gomez being signed on for the whole series. Plenty of photoshop on display too.
    That would certainly explain why I hadn't seen the picture, but a new issue of Doctor Who Magazine happened to go on sale that day, which is why I had to ask somewhere.

I'm glad to see it sparked a good discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    You realise that it wouldn't be the first time that the Master was in an entire season. He was in every story in Jon Pertwee's second season.

Although he didn't travel with the Doctor and his companion in the TARDIS. And in those days, the Time Lords and the programme producers restricted the Doctor to Earth only.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Hopefully The Master will become a full time companion in series 8. It would be an interesting angle. And of course The Master will eventually betray the Doctor. But above all I will be shocked because it would be the first prediction/speculation... I have ever got right. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully The Master will become a full time companion in series 8. It would be an interesting angle. And of course The Master will eventually betray the Doctor. But above all I will be shocked because it would be the first prediction/speculation... I have ever got right. :D

Although that can't happen in series 8 because we've just had that.:p;-)

And if the Doctor and Missy try to go back in time and rewrite series 8, it will create a paradox loop and Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman will be the Doctor and companion in every series from now until the BBC is disbanded.:D
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    No, but Steven Moffett might.

Aren't you conveniently forgetting that it's been established the TARDIS can see all of time and space, so would already have known about being turned into a paradox machine before it happened? So... RTD already countered that for you. Don't worry, Moffatt needn't be concerned about that - it's already been dealt with.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Although that can't happen in series 8 because we've just had that.:p;-)

And if the Doctor and Missy try to go back in time and rewrite series 8, it will create a paradox loop and Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman will be the Doctor and companion in every series from now until the BBC is disbanded.:D

:D:D

The only time I might have got something right I get the series number wrong.
    I think it's called Karma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D

The only time I might have got something right I get the series number wrong.
    I think it's called Karma.

I have to say I would HATE IT if Missy became a full-time companion and I think the other writers would, too - if they've written a story for the Doctor and an companion and are told "no, you have to have Missy in it, too". it would restrict the stories far too much and I don't believe it will happen.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Aren't you conveniently forgetting that it's been established the TARDIS can see all of time and space, so would already have known about being turned into a paradox machine before it happened? So... RTD already countered that for you. Don't worry, Moffatt needn't be concerned about that - it's already been dealt with.

Weeeeeeeelllll, it's not clear whether the TARDIS can see all of time and space with perfect clarity, or if it can usefully handle changing timelines, let alone paradoxical ones, or ones affecting its own actions.