Options

Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    The Peak District is one of the most beautiful parts of England, and the roads through it aren't busy (well, they never used to be be, but it's been a while since I've been there).

So do we get a guided tour of the loveliest bits? No - we get ferrets. Don't get me wrong, I like ferrets. They're adorable creatures with lovely fur. But I think what they're doing now is completely wrong for the programme.

The main road (which the Peak inn is on) is quite busy these days and rather narrow so I'd imagine traffic would be noisy.
    Why ferrets? Ok the couple are Yorkies but they're in Derbyshire - I can imagine last year the production team were worried about the weather but as Lost Tripper says the blue john and other caves are right next to Castleton and are the major attraction for the town.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Crikey, it must be explosive tonight as it's all kicked off on Facebook, Craig saying Kristin's comments are libelous and threatening court action if she doesn't redact them - I hope he knows how expensive private libel actions are :rolleyes:

What with Katy (Donkey HIll) Julian (Fieldhead) and soon to be married Andrea still chipping in and Ian and Margaret's childrens' charming turns of phrase, I think FB is probably best avoided.

Makes me glad I never joined FB. Actually, 'tell a lie' as they used to say somewhere I have just signed up so that I can view this page about FIAB :o but I can't get past the first step of adding your friends. I only want to read the slagging but I really shouldn't.:p
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Makes me glad I never joined FB. Actually, 'tell a lie' as they used to say somewhere I have just signed up so that I can view this page about FIAB :o but I can't get past the first step of adding your friends. I only want to read the slagging but I really shouldn't.:p

I'm not a Facebook expert, but I don't think you have to join to view the public pages. I'm pretty sure I wasn't logged in when I went to look at the FIAB page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I'm not a Facebook expert, but I don't think you have to join to view the public pages. I'm pretty sure I wasn't logged in when I went to look at the FIAB page.

Thanks, Jules. :) I've found the page now from Shrike's link on previous page. I will have to read it when I come back - so much to read so little time...

I've also joined FB as my son has acknowledged me. :D Not really what I wanted to do...
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the FB page comments,this show has been running a good while now, if it is so twisted by the producers why are they all going on it? If we, the viewers look at forums and reviews, are the B&B owners not then? How do they know about the program to start with? Even if they are approached, surely they would research before agreeing.
    I enjoyed the first few weeks of this series, I have always really enjoyed T/FIAB but am tiring of it rapidly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Looking at the FB page comments,this show has been running a good while now, if it is so twisted by the producers why are they all going on it? If we, the viewers look at forums and reviews, are the B&B owners not then? How do they know about the program to start with? Even if they are approached, surely they would research before agreeing.
    I enjoyed the first few weeks of this series, I have always really enjoyed T/FIAB but am tiring of it rapidly.

Its probably got more manipulated over time - this series certainly seems far more about the owners than their businesses - to the extent that I doubt I'll bother watching any more as its not the kind of show I'm interested in.
    When the current batch were filmed last year perhaps there was little indication online that some were being stiched up? Also I expect B&B owners are quite busy and not necessarily internet savvy. Its also very easy to sit safe on our sofas saying "I would never be manipulated" but out of your comfort zone with experts who have a vested interest in making "contraversy", who knows?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Its probably got more manipulated over time - this series certainly seems far more about the owners than their businesses - to the extent that I doubt I'll bother watching any more as its not the kind of show I'm interested in.
    When the current batch were filmed last year perhaps there was little indication online that some were being stiched up? Also I expect B&B owners are quite busy and not necessarily internet savvy. Its also very easy to sit safe on our sofas saying "I would never be manipulated" but out of your comfort zone with experts who have a vested interest in making "contraversy", who knows?

I don't think it takes much research as an owner to get in touch with former contestants and ask what kind of experience they had and weigh up the pros and cons. TV reality shows have been around for yonks, with it's complaints of editing etc. I don't think you can be a very savvy business person if you don't think it through from all angles, including internet,especially if they are thinking of taking part in a TV reality program, at least check it out. Mind you, I have wondered at some of these owners and their perceptions of themselves.
    Tripadvisor has been around for ages and Roxboro House plus other B&Bs early on also had problems with fake reviews coinciding with the dates their episodes were aired.
    There are some owners who have said the crew were fine, others, mostly the ones who feel they came across badly who disagree. Sometimes I do think that people are made to look as if they don't get on in a bigger way than the reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    ...There are some owners who have said the crew were fine, others, mostly the ones who feel they came across badly who disagree. Sometimes I do think that people are made to look as if they don't get on in a bigger way than the reality.

I think the crew decide who is going to be portrayed as the 'picky one', the 'game player', 'the fair one' - probably during the preliminary interviews or maybe even from checking out Trip Advisor to find some 'characters' who they then approach to be on the show.
    For any week most of the owners will be treated fairly and have no complaints, its the ones who get manipulated who will complain - perhaps rightly, perhaps not.
    But I think we have to ask ourselves - if all four owners each week behaved impeccably, would the viewing figures be such that C4 would continue to commission the show? Given how much they now concentrate on personalities, clearly the answer is "no". Hence there must be some manipulation going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the crew decide who is going to be portrayed as the 'picky one', the 'game player', 'the fair one' - probably during the preliminary interviews or maybe even from checking out Trip Advisor to find some 'characters' who they then approach to be on the show.
    For any week most of the owners will be treated fairly and have no complaints, its the ones who get manipulated who will complain - perhaps rightly, perhaps not.
    But I think we have to ask ourselves - if all four owners each week behaved impeccably, would the viewing figures be such that C4 would continue to commission the show? Given how much they now concentrate on personalities, clearly the answer is "no". Hence there must be some manipulation going on.

Yes, totally agree, maybe because we are spotting it more, it's become a bit tired.
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of owners must watch it back and wonder why they are being made to look like total pillocks!

The simple answer in most cases is, that is exactly what they are.

The grumpy Scottish bloke and his "I'm not talking to them" routine, is a prime example. Twunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    A lot of owners must watch it back and wonder why they are being made to look like total pillocks!

The simple answer in most cases is, that is exactly what they are.

The grumpy Scottish bloke and his "I'm not talking to them" routine, is a prime example. Twunt.

Or maybe not. According to his missus on the FIAB facebook page the other owners were really slagging off the "Peak Inn" at breakfast so they decided to not join in the conversation. But this wasn't shown and we were left with the impression that Ian was in a huff. We'll never know, but there was never any explaination as to exactly why Ian should be huffy - it couldn't have been his spat with Eileen as they were ok at dinner hours later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe not. According to his missus on the FIAB facebook page the other owners were really slagging off the "Peak Inn" at breakfast so they decided to not join in the conversation. But this wasn't shown and we were left with the impression that Ian was in a huff. We'll never know, but there was never any explaination as to exactly why Ian should be huffy - it couldn't have been his spat with Eileen as they were ok at dinner hours later.

Either way, he has spent most of the week with a face like a smacked arse and he did say to the camera, the silent treatment was deliberate. The opposite of spitting the dummy out perhaps, he kept his in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way, he has spent most of the week with a face like a smacked arse and he did say to the camera, the silent treatment was deliberate. The opposite of spitting the dummy out perhaps, he kept his in.

I forgot to add at the end of my last post "Of course, he may indeed, be a dick":p

BIB - I can't recall now, but did he say why he was giving them the silent treatment? Was it becouse of some slight from the others or becouse the others were slagging off The Peak Inn couple? The end result is the same, but the motivations very different...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to add at the end of my last post "Of course, he may indeed, be a dick":p

BIB - I can't recall now, but did he say why he was giving them the silent treatment? Was it becouse of some slight from the others or becouse the others were slagging off The Peak Inn couple? The end result is the same, but the motivations very different...

He muttered something about the customary "hellos" then said he decided not to bother.

The feedback tonight will be good. When Kristen has to answer about her score of 2, I expect she will have to open her mouth wide enough to get both feet in.:eek:

Whatever she says will be right, of course.;)
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just skim read some of the posts on the FIAB FB page :yawn:

As usual, people are blaming "the edit" and how they "wouldnt have signed the contract if they had known how they would be edited"

:sleep::yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just skim read some of the posts on the FIAB FB page :yawn:

As usual, people are blaming "the edit" and how they "wouldnt have signed the contract if they had known how they would be edited"

:sleep::yawn:

I expect there is some truth to it. Who knows, with a good edit on Coachtrip, even you might have appeared to be nice.

That is in all honesty, the horriblest thing I have ever written on here but couldn't resist.

Last night bang and all that.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect there is some truth to it. Who knows, with a good edit on Coachtrip, even you might have appeared to be nice.

That is in all honesty, the horriblest thing I have ever written on here but couldn't resist.

Last night bang and all that.:)

LOL :D

Looking forward to tonight's end of the week "fireworks" :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL :D

Looking forward to tonight's end of the week "fireworks" :p

I even LOLed myself, might have to keep away from the keyboard.

I am very glad none of this weeks hosts decided to pay a visit here.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I even LOLed myself, might have to keep away from the keyboard.

I am very glad none of this weeks hosts decided to pay a visit here.;)

Dont talk too soon.....perhaps they're "lurking" ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont talk too soon.....perhaps they're "lurking" ;)

Sounds like they are too busy on Facebook and Fritter, no use them spreading themselves too thinly.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    The show has become less about a set of BB owners looking at anothers BB and more about the personalities, possible to maintain interest for the Friday reveal?

For example, they are now shown literally ripping the bedrooms apart and depending what a particular couple nitpick about will become a running theme.

When they go on the trips and have the evening meal the programme is more and more concentrating on the personal interaction and responses of the contestants, which leads onto the scores being given...and quite often now we are left with a cliff-hanger revolving round personalties.

These are people who must by now be aware of the show or can easily see it if they haven't, so they may well present themselves based on what they've seen in previous edited programmes.

The most over used phrase has become 'game plan' to either explain poor reviews or excuse a contestants own 'game plan'.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I took a look at the Facebook pages and it is business suicide for those who's families are posting and using foul language in favour of their relations.

Can they not see this, it can cause immense damage as I would not want to go to peoples premises who act one thing, yet behind the scenes are coarse and foul mouthed.

In my opinion, they will reap what they sow and will find their reputation for being this way will reach to the customers who frequent their B&Bs.

It is only a TV programme, why behave so unprofessionally that it could cause their business to suffer. I think they all must take a share of the blame as no one comes out of it with any kudos and others very badly indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they are too busy on Facebook and Fritter, no use them spreading themselves too thinly.

Like Marmite in some cases. :D Love Facebook and Fritter - how true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Like Marmite in some cases. :D Love Facebook and Fritter - how true.

I might buy the domain name. People can Fritter away their lives on there..............................oh, that's right. They already do.:D;)
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    Evening all, posters and lurkers.

Just been reading some of the other comments about contestants posting on Facebook and the old saying comes to mind -

better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and and be proved one ;)
This discussion has been closed.