new mobile old contract.

wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,969
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have 3 mths left on my o2 contract but my wife has bought me a new Samsung s5 for xmas.
My question is can i transfere my sim from old mobile to new mobile.Will it work the same and do i need to contact o2.
When my contract expires in March i will go PAYG.
Thanks.
Ps sorry if it seems a stupid question but i really have no idea how these contracts work.

Comments

• FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can pit the SIM in straight away and it will work. Done it lots of times over the yeas.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the new S5 isn't locked, then I would have thought it is simply a case of swapping your sim over. The only possible problem I can think of is that your current sim will be the wrong size.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    As long as the new S5 isn't locked, then I would have thought it is simply a case of swapping your sim over. The only possible problem I can think of is that your current sim will be the wrong size.

They can order the correct sized sim from their network if that's the case. I have broken loads of my contracted phones so had to buy new ones and have always just ordered a new sim to fit the phone. I've only been charged once for it and it was about a fiver.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    I have 3 mths left on my o2 contract but my wife has bought me a new Samsung s5 for xmas.
    My question is can i transfere my sim from old mobile to new mobile.Will it work the same and do i need to contact o2.
    Thanks.
    Ps sorry if it seems a stupid question but i really have no idea how these contracts work.

PAYG???

God no, at least take a simplicity contract
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replys.
    I currently have a Samsung S3.
    Will the sim from it fit the S5 or will i need a new sim.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replys.
    I currently have a Samsung S3.
    Will the sim from it fit the S5 or will i need a new sim.

Both the S3 and S5 take Micro SIM so as long as the new phone isn't locked, or is locked to O2, then it should just slot in and work. If your contacts are saved to the SIM they'll appear on the new phone. If they were saved to the phone you can copy them to the SIM to make it easy to move to the new phone.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAYG???

Even a simplicity contract isn't suitable for all. I use PAYG and only pay about £20 a YEAR! I don't use my phone for calls or texts, I use WiFi and Whatsapp, Viber or Skype to make calls or texts (even then, I don't do much - my phone is for gadgets rather than communcations)
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

No, Check if it rolls over unless you cancel. If it doesn't then your contract just ends, Then basically it is up to you if you renew or move onto another tariff or deal etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Both the S3 and S5 take Micro SIM so as long as the new phone isn't locked, or is locked to O2, then it should just slot in and work. If your contacts are saved to the SIM they'll appear on the new phone. If they were saved to the phone you can copy them to the SIM to make it easy to move to the new phone.

I tried to swap sims but mine is the old type sim
    I will call over to o2 shop 2moro & get a micro sim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took it to o2 shop this morning and they sorted it.
    New micro card, had a bit of a problem swaping numbers from sims but got there in the end.
    Glad I was not trying to sort it myself.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAYG???

For many people PAYG is by far the best option. My PAYG charges come to around £10 per year I'd love to know you would suggest I get a contract to match that. Plus if my phone gets stolen I don't have to worry about anyone racking up a large bill before I realise.