What a BLAND "Idea". Alan will regret this.

AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An idea that's already out there.

So creative woo.

Bianca's idea needed tweaking but great. I hope someone else can invest in this. I don't trust Mark either.

Comments

• fischfisch Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    An idea that's alreasy out there.

So creative woo.

Bianca's idea needed tweaking but great. I hope someone else can invest in this. I don't trust Mark either.

I agree I thought that was what the show was about Pretty boring final IMO
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bianca's idea really needed a lot more investment and was a lot more risky and harder to set up. Mark's was very boring but also safe.

None of this year's business ideas have been that great tbh
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see the issue. The aim isn't to find the most creative idea - it's to find the one that will provide the best return on Sugar's investment. How many successful small to medium-sized businesses are genuinely innovative? Not that many ...
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »

None of this year's business ideas have been that great tbh

How would we know ? We've only heard the plans of the top 6. This is the dilemma of the show. Too much emphasis of performance in tasks, only to find your final candidates have lame ideas. Business plans need to become a more integral part of the show.
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see the issue. The aim isn't to find the most creative idea - it's to find the one that will provide the best return on Sugar's investment. How many successful small to medium-sized businesses are genuinely innovative? Not that many ...

Bianca's idea is important to a LOT of women. It really could help a lower problems we have.

Mark's doing nothing special. It's annoying. He's so smug too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bianca's idea is important to a LOT of women. It really could help a lower problems we have.

I've never said Bianca's idea isn't worthwhile. But ask yourself this: given that it's hardly the most original new idea in the world, why hasn't another manufacturer already tried it? There are some major issues with the business model - it *could* work, but it's not easy. There are many good ideas out there that are difficult to make happen practically.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've worked in Search Engine Optimisation and online marketing in a large company and we've different departments to advertise and we got each department to pay £800 a month on climbing up the online rankings. There are great margins. My concern would be a company mightn't be able to afford 3k a month and it's a very crowded market anyway.

For me Bianca's business plan was a lot more innovative but both businesses are strong.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google very pleased.

Yet another business that makes money for Google out of someone else's investment. Divide and rule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    I've worked in Search Engine Optimisation and online marketing in a large company and we've different departments to advertise and we got each department to pay £800 a month on climbing up the online rankings. There are great margins. My concern would be a company mightn't be able to afford 3k a month and it's a very crowded market anyway.

For me Bianca's business plan was a lot more innovative but both businesses are strong.
    Definitely it's potentially lucrative. Mark did say in the boardroom that he would only accept customers spending at least £400 per month, which for a medium-ish size company seems pretty reasonable.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So creative woo.

Looks a bad business to me. What's to stop Asda or any other retailer doing this? They already have money, a label and manufacturers and many many shoppers going through their stores. They Could set up and start selling (cheaper) before Bianca has had a chance to design better packaging!
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely it's potentially lucrative. Mark did say in the boardroom that he would only accept customers spending at least £400 per month, which for a medium-ish size company seems pretty reasonable.

I don't think it does SMEs will regard that figure as high unless it could be proved to bring in guaranteed results, they'd be better off with a decent website and ploughing that money into convention advertising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I don't think it does SMEs will regard that figure as high unless it could be proved to bring in guaranteed results, they'd be better off with a decent website and ploughing that money into convention advertising.
    In some cases I completley agree - but not all. But some businesses, particularly B2B ones, aren't suited to conventional advertising. I work for a division of a large corporation which is in effect a medium-sized business operating in niche technical markets. We spend £2k-£3k per month on a variety of digital marketing tools because TV/press advertising isn't cost-effective for us. Does it provide us with the best possible return? Who knows? But it's how we choose to spend a significant chunk of our marketing spend, knowing that traditional marketing methods simply don't work for us.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

So creative woo.

What a silly comment to make. Who cares if its bland, as long as it makes money?

The main aim is too make money, not to be an exciting idea.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member

Is it really? not sure it rates that high up on women's what's important scale in the grand scheme of things. Handy yes, useful yes, would be nice to have yes, important, nah.

If it's the main cause of so little women in business, someone would of done it already.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really? not sure it rates that high up on women's what's important scale in the grand scheme of things. Handy yes, useful yes, would be nice to have yes, important, nah.

If it's the main cause of so little women in business, someone would of done it already.

I think we need to take into account that there's an increasing number of non-white professionals across almost all industries.

In 2003, I was one of 12 non-white people (out of 207) in our division. In 2014, I'm now one of 67 non-white people (out of 318) in the same division. Not only that, there's an increasing number of women. In 2003, all 14 seniors in our division were male. In 2014, 11 of 23 seniors are female.

I think people are beginning to notice that growth in various industries, which might explain why there's been a flurry of retail companies and entrepreneurs like Ade Hussan (Nubian Skin) launching their ranges during last three years. I won't be surprised if there's more launches next few years. And by the way, yes, it's certainly important to quite a few women.
    Forum Member
    I think my main point is, is it really that important! as I said nice to have, but not essential. I've heard lots of excuses for people not getting a job/promotion, but the colour of their tights wasn't one of them.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan will regret this LOL. Even if it was a good idea (which it isn't) I'm sure £250k to Alan is a drop in the ocean and he has a lot of bigger things to regret. This show is nothing more than a folly for him.
  • trebanostrebanos Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    What a silly comment to make. Who cares if its bland, as long as it makes money?

The main aim is too make money, not to be an exciting idea.

Dragon's Den frequently shows exciting/innovative ideas. I've never seen any backed business on DD given more than £100k to get it off the ground. Sugar is offering a massive amount of money in comparison, so why did he back Mark's copycat idea?

In fact, having seen how profitable it might be, and how simple it is to make it work, I reckon the field will be even fuller by the end of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think my main point is, is it really that important! as I said nice to have, but not essential. I've heard lots of excuses for people not getting a job/promotion, but the colour of their tights wasn't one of them.

Huh? I don't understand where you're coming from on this.
    Forum Member
    It was aimed at the poster who said "it's really important to me" I was asking is it really? Basically suggesting that with all the things that are important in the world and business is the colour of tights "really important"
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Define a LOT? I work in an office which is about 80% female, we had a conversation last week about these tights and none of us would pay £20 for a pair. Even at £6/£7 we would only maybe consider it, but for most of us having tights exactly the same colour as our skin isn't high on our list of priorities.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bianca has something and i'm sure some women (not a LOT, but a minority) would buy the item (if she can sort out the price and various other problems) but in terms of making money I think Mark was the "wright" way to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was aimed at the poster who said "it's really important to me" I was asking is it really? Basically suggesting that with all the things that are important in the world and business is the colour of tights "really important"

Bear in mind I've just spent almost an hour with a senior manager, who couldn't decide whether to go with Helvetica Flair or Helvetica Neue for his new batch of business cards, I can easily believe that some things are really important to some people.
    Forum Member
    ^^ as a graphic designer I feel your pain
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't you apply that argument to the vast majority of the things people spend money on including clothes, electronics, fancy cars, kids toys etc etc. Bianca was never arguing for tights as an essential like food or a roof over your head; she was just pointing out that if darker women are looking to buy flesh-coloured tights and the only flesh-coloured tights are for white women; that's a gap in the market for something people will want to buy. 'Essential' in the sense that it's something basic that you'd think would exist already but for whatever reason, doesn't.
    Forum Member
    Yes I can and do, I wasn't making that point though, a previous poster had said "It's Important to me" to which I was asking is it really? it's not what I would class as important or even essential, as women have survived this long without them, so not quite as important or essential as the poster was making out.