Steve Strange, Visage lead singer, dies aged 55

franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Steve Strange, lead singer of 1980s pop band Visage, has died aged 55 following a heart attack, his record label says.

The Welsh New Romantic icon - best known for the hit Fade To Grey - died in hospital in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31449838)

"Fade to Grey" was a particular favourite of mine at the time. RIP, such a young age.

Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing him on the celeb hairdressing show, he didn't look great then

Sad.

Rip
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was kind of the Guru of The New Romantics I believe (?) Ran The Camden Palace in the glory years etc, or at least was "a main face".
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's really sad. Love Visage.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    sad news, love the song Fade to Grey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPC8QJF6sI
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    How sad.He should have had another couple of decades.Love his music.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sad news, love the song Fade to Grey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPC8QJF6sI

Thanks for that, great to hear it again.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's so sad, such an icon and defining figure for me.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Sad news. :(
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh bums, this is sad. I loved Fade to Grey and remember him well. I loved all that Nu Wave and New Romantic malarkey.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    very sad news
    he was a great character -and good fun
    He was also surprisingly talented on those celeb hairdresser shows
    :( R I P Steve Strange :(
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched that celeb hairdressing show he was on.........he was pretty good on that, came over as a decent chap

He was also famously one the 'strange' people in David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes video.......the scene where the bulldozer if accompanied by 3 or 4 clown types......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showbiz forum is over there -
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sad news. RIP.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sad.He should have had another couple of decades.

People who consume an ocean of drugs and booze often peg out early. You only had to listen to him to know some permanent damage had been done imbibing in those heady 80s days.

It's horribly ironic that this would happen just as he seemed to be having a career resurgence. Perhaps the touring and schedule he can't have been used to finally did him in?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    People who consume an ocean of drugs and booze often peg out early. You only had to listen to him to know some permanent damage had been done imbibing in those heady 80s days.

It's horribly ironic that this would happen just as he seemed to be having a career resurgence. Perhaps the touring and schedule he can't have been used to finally did him in?

Yes. It's not IMO any one drug in particular, but the combination of many drugs. The human body simply can't handle the stress on the system after prolonged use.

Plenty of people that smoke a lot of normal cigarettes and drink heavily do live to a good age, but both together adds to the risk, plus hard drugs and pills etc., adds even more to the risk. It's just too much to cope with.

RIP Steve.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Apparently he had other health problems (although reported as not life threatening) so perhaps a combination of everything was just too much.
  • silvertiarasilvertiara Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that makes me really sad. He did the celebrity hairdressing thing and came across so well. Loved visage.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good bloke and a modern legend. He will be sadly missed. :(
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    RIP :( I was too young at the time but know Fade to Grey, I dont know why but think the title sounds fitting for Fifty Shades of Grey for some reason :(
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

YAAAWN!^_^
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

Go to it then.

R.I.P. Steve.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sad :(

He really represented the time when the young were fabulous and experimental in dress and music....not the boring, bland, X factor clones and generic rappers that dominate today.

RIP :(
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    When I was a student, I worked in the main bar of a West End theatre. We had many celebs come in to see the show and most expected to be treated like royalty, with the manager fawning around them and complimentary drinks brought to them. The two notable exceptions to this were Paul Daniels (with the lovely Debbie) and Steve Strange. He in particular was happy to get and pay for his own drink and stayed and had a long chat with me. Genuinely nice man. His lipstick took ages to clean off the glass, though!

RIP, Steve.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unnecessary
    pope_tart wrote: »
    How sad :(

He really represented the time when the young were fabulous and experimental in dress and music....not the boring, bland, X factor clones and generic rappers that dominate today.

RIP :(

Didn't he just! I absolutely adored him and had a huge poster of him on my wall - I was 16 and the movement brought me out of myself and gave me the confidence I was so badly lacking in to experiment with clothes. It was such an exciting time and he was such a vibrant, original and imaginative, gorgeous man. Very, very sad news.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    - I was 16 and the movement brought me out of myself and gave me the confidence I was so badly lacking in to experiment with clothes. .

me too :) I remember how going to jumble sales suddenly became cool...a long queue of pensioners interspersed with a few weirdos dripping in diamante and satin looking for fabulous items that would put them at severe risk of being beat up in small nightclubs in small towns by the small minded.