Options

Resident Evil 4 - How Good Compared To 1 and 2?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Resi fans, I've just got this game and wondered how it compares to the Resident Evil name?

Comments

• Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good game but it's not quite as good as the original RE games. In fact even though I do really enjoy it it's not really an RE game as as such but unlike the games that followed after it has some respect for the survival horror genre.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as good but different Imo. I loved 4, I also loved 1-3. Also enjoyed 5. Hated 6 and vowed never to play it. Revelations was cool and currently playing Revelations 2 and enjoying so far.

I enjoy resi evil games for there simple combat, no mind numbing combos to remember, no complicated weapon upgrade system. Lack of decent puzzles have left the series lacking in recent years.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere near as good. No tension, very few scareS.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Nowhere near as good. No tension, very few scareS.

No tension? Those chainsaw guys and the freaky sound they made, very tense, if I had one of those on my tail with very little ammo lol. I remember having to keep Ashley safe so she could raise some floors, while I was been pursued by those monks in black, tense moment overload lol. Resi 4 brought some great moments to the series and while I agree things haven't really panned out to well since 4, but 4 is right up there with all the earlier games Imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No tension? Those chainsaw guys and the freaky sound they made, very tense, if I had one of those on my tail with very little ammo lol. I remember having to keep Ashley safe so she could raise some floors, while I was been pursued by those monks in black, tense moment overload lol. Resi 4 brought some great moments to the series and while I agree things haven't really panned out to well since 4, but 4 is right up there with all the earlier games Imo.

I'll give you the chainsaw guy. The Ashley bits just annoyed me due to her idiocy. I actually forgot about both things, although the dogs bursting through the window, the hunter turning up in RE1 and the Lickers in RE2 (Three times those buggers scared me). The only memorable bit of RE4 was the fish fight, the rest I don't really remember. It was a fun game but not scary.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "classic" Resi's are far superior imo. Truth be told, I personally find RE4 to be a pretty overrated experience.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many hours is the gameplay length?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

Been a while but, maybe 10-12 hours first play through.
  • Options
    RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good game, not on par with the classic RE games. Annoyingly it brought us the quick time events during cut scenes... So much for sitting back and enjoying the storyline. That was my biggest hate of RE and how they seem to follow on in the series.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    My first Resi game was Code: Veronica which was great, but when I first played this in my late twenties on the Gamecube I regarded it as the one of the very best games I'd ever played (not necessarily in the RE mould though - but I didn't care, I like all sorts of games). It was groundbreaking for its time imo.
    FusionFury wrote: »
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Been a while but, maybe 10-12 hours first play through.

I took my time on the GCN original and I thought it pretty long - maybe 18 hours or so. The second act does drag a bit imo but there are still standouts.

Great game - only wish they would've done a better port to the PS3 with Move controller as it would've been the definitive version over the Wii I reckon.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Easily my favourite Resident Evil game. Loved the combat system, environments and upgradable weapons and some of the enemies are so gruesome, like the chainsaw guys that quickly separate your head from your body :p There's even some good after game content- playing as characters like Wesker and Hunk was really cool and I thought the story was pretty good too, better than 5.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    One of my fav games of all time

Different kettle of fish with re 1 and 2

For me best re evil games

1. Re 2
    2. Re 4
    3. Re 1
    4. Re 3
    5. Re 5
    6. Re 6
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By far the best game in the RE series and probably the best action game too. The series needed to evolve from its terrible gameplay and puzzles at the time.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very good game. I'd put re2 slightly higher and maybe the remake just ahead of it. It has a different feel to the older games but it works, unlike re5 which was rubbish
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In order............PS Resident Evil (Director's Cut) then Resident Evil 2, then the Dreamcast version of Code Veronica (which was great)

Then Nemesis..........

never played any other..........(after they changed the game format/style)