Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    However just imagine what the Five figure would be in evening and weekend football commentaries and coverage was excluded... ie show the ratings per programme!!!
    Football commentries ususlly increase your audience but disgruntled normal listeners move around so it will cause some churn.

I.know breakfast on lbc does very well up against music stations in London so that will probably beat 5 live in London. I can also imagine lbc doing well overnight when 5 live is at its worst.

Don't expect a dab only station to pull loads of audience from 5 live though. It aint gonna happen without massive investment in marketing to raise awzrness. That will not happen in the near future.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News today that wages are rising faster than inflation, potentially positive news for the government. VD's show consists of 2 hours of people saying it's not true.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    News today that wages are rising faster than inflation, potentially positive news for the government. VD's show consists of 2 hours of people saying it's not true.

Don't worry government spokesman Dominic Laurie will be along soon to regurgitate more Tory spin
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Oh great Ricky Gervais is on Richard bacon's show next week........... That makes a change.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Oh great Ricky Gervais is on Richard bacon's show next week........... That makes a change.

Same agent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Clive Bull Lbc for me.
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member

Two people with their own agendas - it will be like two conversations in the same room!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very clever - well done
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two people with their own agendas - it will be like two conversations in the same room!

Maybe they should have Boyd Hilton in as well and make it a threesome,,,:)
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Same agent?

Ricky Gervais has been making regular-ish appearances since Simon mayo's time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Gervais has been making regular-ish appearances since Simon mayo's time.

Same agent? Tv or radio they are all at it.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member

You have to admire the BBC's dedication to undermining any piece of good ecenomic news. Six-o'clock news last night " wages above inflation, but only by 0.1%", BBC web site "wages only above inflation if bonuses included". VD was obviously anxious to play her part in toeing the corporate line.

Their teams of crack reporters comb the country to find people who do not feel better off, and drag them on to programmes like VDs, (and others to be fair).Their relentlessly doom ridden tone may have been justified a couple of years ago, but it is starting to sound stale and out of touch now.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »

Their teams of crack reporters comb the country to find people who do not feel better off, and drag them on to programmes .

That wouldn't take very long because I don-t think anyone feels better off. That report could be called " total bollocks" The bbc seem to be reflecting the fact the audience don't agree with the report.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    That wouldn't take very long because I don-t think anyone feels better off. That report could be called " total bollocks" The bbc seem to be reflecting the fact the audience don't agree with the report.

Jenni Russel in the Times puts it well:

"The increase in real earnings is welcome but millions of Britons are still deeply in the red.

Two lines on a graph cross, and suddenly the cost-of-living crisis is over. The gleeful Tories have won the argument, Labour’s fox has been shot and we can all expect an increasingly prosperous future.

It’s rubbish. Yesterday’s figures were welcome. For the first time in four years, average wages have edged just fractionally ahead of inflation. From now on the average worker can hope that their standard of living might start to rise slightly instead of fall. But it doesn’t rescue anyone from the miserable consequences of the squeeze of the past four years. Millions of Britons are now dangerously indebted because for almost half a decade their incomes have been declining while their bills soared. Claiming that their problems are over is like telling a man who has been hungry for a year that there is nothing more to worry about because he’ll be getting a chocolate egg at Easter.

The electorate know it. The reason that Ed Miliband’s living-costs campaign has driven debate for the past six months is that it has reflected so many people’s experience. People like my friend Sharon, who was sobbing as she talked to me on the phone yesterday morning."

Station ID is right (not something I say often), "The BBC seem to be reflecting the fact the audience don't agree with the report". In the same way as SKY, ITV and the press etc. but they are not attacked for 'left wing bias.' "Four fifths of voters tell Ipsos MORI that the cost of living crisis is real."
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lets face it on VD's totally leftie loving programme, you are never going to get her to begrudgingly admit that this government has done anything right or this coalition has helped low income earners out of paying income tax.

Did she or anyone else mention that the personal tax allowance is going up next year to £10,500 next year under this government which to my mind is fantastic.

I remember the shambolic New Labour wallys had 13 years to reform the tax system in this country and they introduced a 10p tax rate for low income earners and then decided to abandon the whole idea 2 years later .Who wants people to pay tax on earnings on as little at the present rate of £10,000...........supposedly the ( fighting for the workers ) blinkin Labour Party.

For the first time in a long while I heard a bit of Drive with Peter Allen interviewing Ed Balls. Allen was challenging him on his previous comments about the economy flat lining and Balls got so fed up he turned to Allen and asked '' well Peter what do you think ? ''............and he's the bloomin' shadow chancellor for gods sake !!
  • Options
    RinkenderRinkender Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hmm how many people are using food banks?

If interest rates went anywhere near the twenty year norm of 5% the the debt would resemble the Somerset Levels.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Conservatives have hammered the working poor, the Lib Dems claim responsibility for the £10,000 tax policy but forget to mention that there benefits like housing are slashed, they have taken education from them and is doing a fine job of of social cleansing in London, this country was in the s**t when they came to power was what they told us but gave a tax cut to the rich and stuck a bedroom tax on the most vulnerable, this is not left or right but just fact.

What gets me is the MPs second homes paid for by us are in London and have multiple bedrooms .

I have been a Consecrative voter all my life but I never voted for a party that attacks the most vulnerable in society and holds them responsible for greedy landlords, bankers and the housing shortage.

Whats the point of voting anymore there is simply no democracy no wonder the Scots want out.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    You have to admire the BBC's dedication to undermining any piece of good ecenomic news. Six-o'clock news last night " wages above inflation, but only by 0.1%", BBC web site "wages only above inflation if bonuses included". VD was obviously anxious to play her part in toeing the corporate line.

Their teams of crack reporters comb the country to find people who do not feel better off, and drag them on to programmes like VDs, (and others to be fair).Their relentlessly doom ridden tone may have been justified a couple of years ago, but it is starting to sound stale and out of touch now.

It's the only thing they can think of to back up the rubbish Ed Balls spouts. Imagine the mess we would be in had he been Chancellor for the last 4 years. It is sad the BBC feel forced to try and influence us in this way but I guess most of them support Mr and Mrs Balls and co!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed a problem with the sound on R5L this evening? Very buzzy on the Live Drive programme and that was from one of the studio feeds.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a problem with the sound on R5L this evening? Very buzzy on the Live Drive programme and that was from one of the studio feeds.

It's a ball of something very unpleasant in Sam Walker's throat. They should make her take a bottle of Night Nurse if they insist on putting her on Drive. She's even worse than Anna Ha Ha Foster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member

Well in that case the transmitter need sellotaping up, better still the BBC should get 5Live and have it internet only and scrap the medium wave frequency.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Not relevant as I first noticed this on the car DAB radio then later on with the Freeview transmission at home and a couple of home DAB radios .
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in that case the transmitter need sellotaping up, better still the BBC should get 5Live and have it internet only and scrap the medium wave frequency.
    I would imagine most people listen on MW so that's not likely to happen...

I must admit there are times when the reception around here is poor and yet the local transmitter is only three miles or so up the road from where I live. I'm guessing there must be a few gremlins in the works on a (fairly) frequent basis.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Not relevant as I first noticed this on the car DAB radio then later on with the Freeview transmission at home and a couple of home DAB radios .

I noticed a couple of nights ago, not sure what time as I was half asleep in the middle of the night; that BBC radio 4, 5 and World Service, seemed to be off air on DAB.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Digital radios I have only seem to last about 5 years, I think there's too much inside them to go wrong.

My old radio none DAB radio is about 20 years old & still going strong.
This discussion has been closed.