Commercial breaks on ITV1 during the 2011 Rugby World Cup

2»

Comments

• SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    They certainly do on the Champions League games (unlike ITV).

Sky gets over 80% of its income from subscriptions so they don't need to maximise advertising breaks.

Perhaps ITV should go along to the Government and ask them for the same deal as S4C? I'm sure Jeremy Hunt has a spare £100 million down the back of the sofa so they don't need to take as many breaks ;)
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Either that or do Welsh language commentaries themselves?

I don't think there's any requirement to do Welsh language commentary? I figured the negative press in not having the option would be the reason ITV opt to relinquish their exclusivity (and a very small amount of their audience).
    CRTHD wrote: »
    They certainly do on the Champions League games (unlike ITV).

Sky definitely show adverts during UCL programming, maybe not to the same degree as ITV, but it's not advert-free by any means.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    My partner was very disappointed with the coverage (or almost total lack of it) of the opening cermony. She enjoys most sports and was so dissapointed with the ITV bitty coverge. At least with the Beeb, you could always watch the whole thing (from other ceremonies) on the Red Button

The program was listed as the Opening Ceremony yet probably fails to comply with the advertised listing ... should we complain to the ASA ? LOL

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a full coverage of the ceremony anywhere we can watch (without ads .. prefereably)

Regards
    The Godson
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Think I would prefer an Ad break to Lawrence and Sean standing in front of a touchscreen. That really doesn't work.

Yeah - it was rather tragic, how desperate they appeared to want to copy Sky. The touchscreens and technology are practically a Sky trademark, so you can just about handle it from them, but from ITV as well? That's not the only thing they've copied from Sky in recent years either.
    apaul wrote: »
    If the punditry is going to be as bland and uncritical as today's after game backslapping and All-Black adulation ITV might as well fill all of the time before and after the match with ads. Maybe Lynagh will improve things.

Yeah - I was rather surprised they were so pro-All-Black after that drab second half showing. They barely even acknowledged that.
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    the commentators were OK, certainly no worse than moaning Moore, Jonathan 'Numbers' Davies or 'fair and balanced' Stuart Barnes.

I was pleasantly surprised with the commentators actually, having never heard them before. They clearly know their stuff (take note, Channel 4, re: the athletics), and seemed to share good banter. :) Perhaps not the gravitas of a Miles Harrison, but certainly an adequate replacement.
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Ads are something of a given, but at least we didn't have the atmosphere sapping post-anthems, pre-kickoff ad break that both ITV and Sky are guilty of during their football coverage. The 80+ minutes of rugby were shown in their entirety which is all that I really care about.

I think that was only a one-off, sadly, because of the two pre-kick-off haka from New Zealand and Tonga. Only when a haka is involved in future matches will we continue to see this, I think, as the overnight games I've seen have had the pre-kick-off breaks. :(
    the_godson wrote: »
    My partner was very disappointed with the coverage (or almost total lack of it) of the opening cermony. She enjoys most sports and was so dissapointed with the ITV bitty coverge. At least with the Beeb, you could always watch the whole thing (from other ceremonies) on the Red Button

The program was listed as the Opening Ceremony yet probably fails to comply with the advertised listing ... should we complain to the ASA ? LOL

It was because it was listed as such that I recommended it to my mum (we have relatives that live in New Zealand, so thought she might be interested, even though she can't stand sport). She's not normally one to moan about TV coverage, but she had a right good whinge to me about this, so it must've been bad. :rolleyes:
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone here has seen the local NZ Club rugby union on Sky Sports HD from the same Host broadcaster with gobsmacking HD pictures just like the NFL and many Sky championship football matches .

How have ITV managed to turn them beautiful pictures to a blury mush in there broadcast chain, this looks positively SD compared to what this host broadcaster puts out. The IRB feeds look Fantastic as they should be. Is RTE HD any better?
    Has to be said ITV and the BBC managed to do this to the pictures from the World cup and Euro 2008.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    franchise wrote: »

Imagine, if as in Australia, there were commercials inside the match coverage...

Do they actually miss parts of the actual game being played when showing commercials, or are they shown during periods of no play, eg after a try?

I always laugh when UK viewers complain about the amount of commercials we have here, when its far worse in most other countries. Try watching an NFL game in the US, there is a reason why games which have an hour of game play often stretch out to three and a half hours!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Here in Spain channels go to double box, half the screen with coverage and half with ad's. Is that not legal in the UK?
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    Here in Spain channels go to double box, half the screen with coverage and half with ad's. Is that not legal in the UK?

I believe EU laws govern tv advertising so both the UK and Spain are bound by the same laws in terms of how commercials can be shown - Spain is notorious for breaking these EU laws though with their 20 minute advert breaks.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Do they actually miss parts of the actual game being played when showing commercials, or are they shown during periods of no play, eg after a try?

As you say, they are shown after a try/before the conversion. Imagine though, even as nothing is happening, the uproar were that to happen here. People want sport for free, but they aren't willing to put up with what makes it so. Simple as.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I believe EU laws govern tv advertising so both the UK and Spain are bound by the same laws in terms of how commercials can be shown - Spain is notorious for breaking these EU laws though with their 20 minute advert breaks.

Actually, OFCOM say you can't do them in the UK, whereas on the continent I believe (at least in Germany, and apparently Spain) they're OK.

EU laws provide a baseline, but in most cases individual countries are free to go further.

The only thing you can show during an ad-break on UK TV is text information (as seen on Gillette Soccer Saturday)