Will ADELE last?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    No way on her last album She sounded bored for the majority and put little or no effort in.And as for it being tougher then than it is now that is BS 10 years ago if an album was successful it could easily shift millions of albums as albums regularly sold more hence why the biggest sellling albums of the last decade are at the beginning rather than the latter end of the decade now to sell 1M let alone 10 in the states is an achievement most find difficult to do. And i think Adelr mor ememorable songs than Dido who's career ended sometime in 2005 and was overshadowed pretty quickly.

Your totally overlooking my point. When dido launched her career there was so much good music but she stood out head and shoulders above it all. Adele launched her career at a time when music was in the pits and people were looking for something new and she gave it, thats why its sold so many albums.

The thing is no angel is a classic album, almost no filler where 21 is a few singles everyone knows and the rest is almost total filler, even adele fans admit that.
    Material wise no angel beat 21 in every aspect musically and of course dido did not have a team of session writers writing her songs. It was mostly her and her brother.

My point in my initial post is if someone as talented as dido struggles to get back into it after a long layour what hope is there for an average talented artist like adele.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your totally overlooking my point. When dido launched her career there was so much good music but she stood out head and shoulders above it all. Adele launched her career at a time when music was in the pits and people were looking for something new and she gave it, thats why its sold so many albums.

The thing is no angel is a classic album, almost no filler where 21 is a few singles everyone knows and the rest is almost total filler, even adele fans admit that.
    Material wise no angel beat 21 in every aspect musically and of course dido did not have a team of session writers writing her songs. It was mostly her and her brother.

I was actually around for the early noughties and seem to remember the teen pop revival, Garage and Kylie up until about 03 when indie music and the likes of Coldplay ruled the roost it was just as bad if not worse. Dido was a fad and a novelty she was an antidote much like Adele to the pop explosion and all the rest of the fodder filling the charts. No Angel is a nice album a good album buts its bland there is no spark to Dido yes 21 may not be the best album ever but it has spark and personality and more to say for itself and as for 19 head and shoulders above both. And as for session writers having recieved Red for Xmas (it's good GL but im not wholly convinced moments of excelence but i dunno just lacking a spark if you get me :)) i See TS got Dan Wilson in who co-wrote on none other than SLY on one of her tracks even she's cashing in on Adele :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Adele last and continue to release music? Yes.

Will Adele last and be as big as she has been the past couple of years? Probably not. It's hard for anyone to maintain that level at success but as someone earlier compared her to Alanis Morissette, it wouldn't suprise me if Adele went down that path. She's never played the "pop game" so I can imagine she'll just release material every couple of years that sells moderately well and earns the respect of the music industry.

I think her third album will be a major factor in her longevity. It will obviously be surrounded by hype and expectation but it's a case of whether or not it can live up to it.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Bit like the long range weather forecast. No-one knows. My guess is she will continue to bring out big selling albums for a few years. But I will say one word of warning......DIDO!!!!

Exactly, if Adele takes a long break like Dido or other female singers the music industry will simply move on.

It's why acts like Rihanna just don't stop.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, if Adele takes a long break like Dido or other female singers the music industry will simply move on.

It's why acts like Rihanna just don't stop.

why do people think that only happens to female singers, and not male singers, or groups even? i can't see what Dido has in common with Adele beyond being a female singer.

the question is also a bit odd to be asking about Adele, she's currently 5yrs and 2 very successful albums into a career that still seems to be moving upwards, this isn't an overnight success story. Secondly she already took a lengthy break after the first album when she was far less established and came back ok so there's no reason to think she'll be more easily forgotten this time:)

But, as one or two more sensible people have said, the music ultimately will decide.
  • PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope not. Absolutely cannot stand her. Personally think her voice is horrendous and shouty and I actually find her quite torturous to listen to. I can just about manage to listen to the uptempo numbers (e.g. Rolling in the Deep), but if one of her droning ballads (Someone like you, Skyfall) come on the radio (which is very frequently) I have to literally turn off the radio. I also do not like her personality, what many say is down to earth comes across to me as chavvy. I also grew up around the area where she grew up and I do not know anyone who speaks like she does. She seems to deliberately put on a rough accent.

In terms of her longevity I think she will have some dedicated fans but will not likely be as big as she is now. She is very hyped at the moment (the media seemed determined to make her a big star) and for every genuine fan there are probably two or three bandwagon jumpers who will move onto the next big thing. As others have pointed out Dido is an example of a flavour of the moment artist that has seen a fall in success, others include James Blunt and Macy Gray. I am fairly certain that Amy Winehouse would have also seen a drop in sales if she had lived, as she was another product of media hype.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PheebShirl wrote: »
    I really hope not. Absolutely cannot stand her. Personally think her voice is horrendous and shouty and I actually find her quite torturous to listen to. I can just about manage to listen to the uptempo numbers (e.g. Rolling in the Deep), but if one of her droning ballads (Someone like you, Skyfall) come on the radio (which is very frequently) I have to literally turn off the radio. I also do not like her personality, what many say is down to earth comes across to me as chavvy. I also grew up around the area where she grew up and I do not know anyone who speaks like she does. She seems to deliberately put on a rough accent.

In terms of her longevity I think she will have some dedicated fans but will not likely be as big as she is now. She is very hyped at the moment (the media seemed determined to make her a big star) and for every genuine fan there are probably two or three bandwagon jumpers who will move onto the next big thing. As others have pointed out Dido is an example of a flavour of the moment artist that has seen a fall in success, others include James Blunt and Macy Gray. I am fairly certain that Amy Winehouse would have also seen a drop in sales if she had lived, as she was another product of media hype.

I think its a lot bigger than a 3:1 ratio of randoms to fans. She is not the sort of artist to attract a lot of dedicated fans, just people who will buy any old stuff without no real dedication to the artist at hand. I wonder just how many people who bought 21 gave it one play and then threw it on the CD rack to collect dust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I was actually around for the early noughties and seem to remember the teen pop revival, Garage and Kylie up until about 03 when indie music and the likes of Coldplay ruled the roost it was just as bad if not worse. Dido was a fad and a novelty she was an antidote much like Adele to the pop explosion and all the rest of the fodder filling the charts. No Angel is a nice album a good album buts its bland there is no spark to Dido yes 21 may not be the best album ever but it has spark and personality and more to say for itself and as for 19 head and shoulders above both. And as for session writers having recieved Red for Xmas (it's good GL but im not wholly convinced moments of excelence but i dunno just lacking a spark if you get me :)) i See TS got Dan Wilson in who co-wrote on none other than SLY on one of her tracks even she's cashing in on Adele :p

Struggling to find anything in your post I could even remotely agree with ;)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what does any of that have to do with the question?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a lot bigger than a 3:1 ratio of randoms to fans. She is not the sort of artist to attract a lot of dedicated fans, just people who will buy any old stuff without no real dedication to the artist at hand. I wonder just how many people who bought 21 gave it one play and then threw it on the CD rack to collect dust.

You could also argue that her first album suddenly had a huge surge of sales due to 21. So obviously people liked her enough to seek out her earlier work.Truth is, there's no way of knowing for sure how many people bought the album and enjoyed it. Just like any other artist.

I'd agree that she's not the type of artist to have a huge dedicated fanbase but then again I think her music appeals to a wider range of people because of this. But it will be interesting to see who will actually sticks with her for her third album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clancey83 wrote: »
    You could also argue that her first album suddenly had a huge surge of sales due to 21. So obviously people liked her enough to seek out her earlier work.Truth is, there's no way of knowing for sure how many people bought the album and enjoyed it. Just like any other artist.

I'd agree that she's not the type of artist to have a huge dedicated fanbase but then again I think her music appeals to a wider range of people because of this. But it will be interesting to see who will actually sticks with her for her third album.

I am sure if a third album ever does happen (IMO I doubt it will happen) she will still sell a lot of albums, even if only 50% of those who bought the album realy liked it, it would still result in a lot of sales. I dont think adele needs to worry about deidcated fans there will always be randoms who buy music and its these who her team would aim it at.
    But I think even if she does come back into the music industry it will not be for many years, mostly likely towards the end of this decade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol for the posters who think she wouldn't come back anytime soon.:D

She has now in her mansion her own recording studio:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    Lol for the posters who think she wouldn't come back anytime soon.:D

She has now in her mansion her own recording studio:p

So does my husband in our house here and he is not even a actual recording artist.;) guess adele is struggling to spend all that money and buying anything :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does my husband in our house here and he is not even a actual recording artist.;) guess adele is struggling to spend all that money and buying anything :D

She is 6 years in the business, I'm sure she knows what she needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    She is 6 years in the business, I'm sure she knows what she needed.

Of course:rolleyes: its never heard of is it for people who have tons of money to just go out and buy "new expensive toys" just because they can :D
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear god you do talk a load of a word that sounds something a lot like rollocks don't you geordielady. You're entitled to, wouldn't take that right away from you as that is one of the beauties of freedom of speech. But Christ you really hate Adele with such a passion you seem totally immune to any reasonable thought.

You just seem to come out with an endless series of trite arguments that make no sense what-so-ever. Even when people back their comments up with established facts, you totally ignore the facts and will use even more trite personal opinions to try and dispel those facts. You just seem to think if you are very aggressive you can bully people into believing your nonsense.

You're latest rant where you are trying to deny the relevance of the fact that Adele has a recording studio in her home is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Give it up for godsake. And what does your husband having a recording studio (that is presumably useless to him) have to do with whether Adele will use here's or not to make future hits? Completely ludicrous argument!

Also if Adele is just making music that is going in the bin after being bought and nobody ever listens to it again, how come she's also dominated sales of things like sheet music as well? How come when I go to acoustic nights I often see people covering various Adele songs from both 19 & 21?

Indeed Adele covers are popular all the way from grass roots acoustic nights to X-factor, to pro artists going on Radio 1's live lounge.

And if people pay you the tribute of covering your songs at whatever level they play at, be it amateur or pro, it shows you must be doing something right because nobody is putting a gun to any of these people’s heads and forcing them to cover Adele. It shows that these are songs that have entered the public consciousness and mean something to people.

19 & 21 are two of not just the bestselling albums, but best quality albums released in recent years. They would have done well in ANY era of music. I'm sad you can't see that, but I suspect mentioning it will just bring on another not really relevant Dido comparison. I don’t expect everybody to like Adele, but you could at least respect the fact that some people actually do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.... some posts are not worth responding to.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.... some posts are not worth responding to.

if you are talking about the post above , he has got it spot on
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's hard to know how many people who bought 21 will really buy the next one. I'm sure that there were a lot of casual buyers.
    Then again, it's her appeal, that she can potencially be everyone's cup of tea, that's how she sold that many albums: quality mainstream with a retro feel (in my opinion at least).

She'd need another "someone like you" to sell the new album, but if she can do it, she could remain successfull. Maybe not as successfull, but who can maintain that type of success anyway, espcially considering the little time she seems to spend promoting?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    To be fair, 40% of her album sales have come from the US - and it wasn't SLY that really launched the album into the stratosphere there but the first single, Rolling in the Deep (took a few months to take hold, agreed, and the album was still selling very well in the meantime but the eventual huge success of this single really too her sales to another level). It's the first single froim the follow up that will be the really important one imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member

Wow, could you be any more judgemental? What kind of a way is this to talk about someone you don't know personally? Would you like people to jump to judging you similarly? Then again nobody is talking about you are they? ;)

It's one thing not to be a fan of her music but this sounds more like an immature all out attack based on nothing more solid than an impression.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope not. Absolutely cannot stand her. Personally think her voice is horrendous and shouty and I actually find her quite torturous to listen to. I can just about manage to listen to the uptempo numbers (e.g. Rolling in the Deep), but if one of her droning ballads (Someone like you, Skyfall) come on the radio (which is very frequently) I have to literally turn off the radio. I also do not like her personality, what many say is down to earth comes across to me as chavvy. I also grew up around the area where she grew up and I do not know anyone who speaks like she does. She seems to deliberately put on a rough accent. In terms of her longevity I think she will have some dedicated fans but will not likely be as big as she is now. She is very hyped at the moment (the media seemed determined to make her a big star) and for every genuine fan there are probably two or three bandwagon jumpers who will move onto the next big thing. As others have pointed out Dido is an example of a flavour of the moment artist that has seen a fall in success, others include James Blunt and Macy Gray. I am fairly certain that Amy Winehouse would have also seen a drop in sales if she had lived, as she was another product of media hype.

I think thats the issue many have, its the way she is trying to portray a "bad girl" image which just dont suit her and she is acting like something she really is not. She would get a lot more respect if she just acted her age and in line with the sort of music she is promoting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have pointed out Dido is an example of a flavour of the moment artist that has seen a fall in success, others include James Blunt and Macy Gray. I am fairly certain that Amy Winehouse would have also seen a drop in sales if she had lived, as she was another product of media hype.

Totally agree with the Amy Winehouse comment. I think, had she lived, she would have followed up Back to Black with an under-achieving album - both commercially and creatively - and gone into even further decline.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More wonderfully judgmental remarks. I really don't care if she is a "chav." I see no evidence to prove she is faking anything, I've seen her in numerous interviews and if it was a mask she was wearing it would have slipped by now. She was great fun on programmes like Graham Norton and genuinely does come across as a very likeable down to earth girl.

She does genuinely seem to be someone you could have a laugh with down the pub, likes her beer and **** and is blessed with an incredible voice. If anything I think she's realised after her throat operation +pregnancy that the beer and **** aren't good for her and has given that up now plus lost loads of weight in the bargain. She’s growing up, and I don’t think any of her action are abnormal for someone of her age.

There seems to be a suggestion here she is about image from some people, yet you yourselves are judging her entirely on image. If her music does nothing for you fine, your loss, but when this degenerates into a load of snipping character assassination based on what you think her image is, I think that really shows the motivation to dislike Adele is less to do with the quality of her music and more to do with a sneering contempt for "chavs."

As for the Amy Winehouse comments (boy people on here really hate my fave girls don't they? Well I love all the bad girls) I take that as a load of bull too which sadly can't be proved either way. Amy's problem was very simply the drink and drugs ruled her. If a follow up had of being bad it would have being because of those addictions nothing else. She proved her talent across all the albums she did. This comment that she was a product of media hype is again utter twaddle and shows how little the person who wrote it actually knows about music. Amy worked long and hard to get her success which was by no means overnight at all.
  • PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More wonderfully judgmental remarks. I really don't care if she is a "chav." I see no evidence to prove she is faking anything, I've seen her in numerous interviews and if it was a mask she was wearing it would have slipped by now. She was great fun on programmes like Graham Norton and genuinely does come across as a very likeable down to earth girl.

She does genuinely seem to be someone you could have a laugh with down the pub, likes her beer and **** and is blessed with an incredible voice. If anything I think she's realised after her throat operation +pregnancy that the beer and **** aren't good for her and has given that up now plus lost loads of weight in the bargain. She’s growing up, and I don’t think any of her action are abnormal for someone of her age.

There seems to be a suggestion here she is about image from some people, yet you yourselves are judging her entirely on image. If her music does nothing for you fine, your loss, but when this degenerates into a load of snipping character assassination based on what you think her image is, I think that really shows the motivation to dislike Adele is less to do with the quality of her music and more to do with a sneering contempt for "chavs."

As for the Amy Winehouse comments (boy people on here really hate my fave girls don't they? Well I love all the bad girls) I take that as a load of bull too which sadly can't be proved either way. Amy's problem was very simply the drink and drugs ruled her. If a follow up had of being bad it would have being because of those addictions nothing else. She proved her talent across all the albums she did. This comment that she was a product of media hype is again utter twaddle and shows how little the person who wrote it actually knows about music. Amy worked long and hard to get her success which was by no means overnight at all.

It is ridiculous to try and claim that Adele and Amy Winehouse are not a product of media hype. They are two of the most hyped artists on the planet. I am pretty sure that neither artist would have sold anywhere near the same level without the constant hype in the newspapers, playing of their songs on the radio and on TV, hype on the X Factor (sales of Adele in particular started to take off after her song was covered on the X Factor (Make you feel my love)). When you consider that MYFML charted at 26 before the X Factor and rose to 4, bringing her back into public consiciousness than it is clear that The X Factor had a part to play in Adele's success. While the Brit awards played a major part in getting "Someone Like You" to number 1, which saw her album sales massively increase. Even if you are a fan of an artist than it is very naive to think that media hype has no impact on their success. I am a fan of Dido and Emeli Sande, but will readily admit that their success has been brought about as much from media hype as has Amy Winehouse and Adele's careers.

The reason I dislike Adele is largely due to the fact that I cannot stand her voice, finding it very harsh and untuneful. Most of the time I feel she is shouting rather than singing and cannot personally understand why people rave about her. I am glad she has started to clean up her act, but when she first came out I found her a poor role model. In my eyes someone who is constantly seen puffing on cigarettes and boasting about boozing is not setting a good example, especially with how much money she was getting paid. Thankfully she seems to have settled down a bit and appears healthier. I personally cannot understand why she talks as she does as I lived in the area she grew up and no one talks like this. Not taking her image into consideration I still would not be able to stand her music.