Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Great show, Tony has breathed new life into it, we always record the show and listen to it with a few beers in the evening, who knows, possibly a barby tonight!

1988 on the whole was dire, much like 1987, and most charts since.

However I've just checked the top 20 for the first week in June, and although it ain't brilliant, it isn't as bad as it should be, SAW must have taken a holiday in early June as only a miserable effort from Kylie sits in the Top 10.

Now June 1981 is a different story, cracking summer Ian Botham, Royal Wedding and all that - good times, good music.

A nice touch would be to play Hi-De-Hi by Paul Shane & The Yellowcoats which had only just dropped out of the Top 40 this week in 1981.

We have an almost identical take on things, like we have discussed elsewhere. There is a reason that years such as 1981, and for that matter 1978 and others pop up more frequently than other years, and it is because without a shadow of doubt the rough concensus is that these years are better by far than say, 1988 for example. The chart at this point in 1974 was not a highpoint in chart history but is made by he Sparks being No2, oh and here's the get Bryan Ferry's The "In" Crowd, another high point in this chart.

PeterTheGreat's comment I strongly disagree with. Consider everything that music went through between June 1974 and June 1981. An awesome amount of change. Yes, it was "just 7 years" in time, but that is missing the point entirely.

Tony has just announced that next week will be an all vinyl show. Interesting.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh - the one that had Polar techs wanting to take over the FOH mix from the Beeb bods in Brighton that day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth did The Streak make No1? Is it because streaking had become "the big thing" at this point in the 1970's? :eek:

Mouth & McNeal, a new one to me, never heard it before.

Occy, your post #7 summed the show up just perfectly.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    How on earth did The Streak make No1? Is it because streaking had become "the big thing" at this point in the 1970's? :eek:

Mouth & McNeal, a new one to me, never heard it before.

It was always on the news, it seemed to be a frequent occurrence at the cricket at this period in time, always remember one chap jumping over the wickets, nearly caught his short leg and googlies....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always on the news, it seemed to be a frequent occurrence at the cricket at this period in time, always remember one chap jumping over the wickets, nearly caught his short leg and googlies....

People never behaved like that before the 1970's then? That's my perception. Thought about the cricketer as you say.

Another new track to me, Gigliola Cinquetti's Eurovision second placer to Abba. Sort of pleasant.

The worst of the 1970's now, Bay "Shitty" Rollers. Ughh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of jingles, the show is missing the R1 summer jingle, which sort of went...."Suuuummmmer radio, on the Tony Blackburn show....."

It was used by most Radio 1 DJ's late 70's early 80's, often on the Roadshow anyone recall the one I mean? It would be a good addition to summer POTP charts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of jingles, the show is missing the R1 summer jingle, which sort of went...."Suuuummmmer radio, on the Tony Blackburn show....."

It was used by most Radio 1 DJ's late 70's early 80's, often on the Roadshow anyone recall the one I mean? It would be a good addition to summer POTP charts.

I sure remember that jingle from around 1984, but I only ever recall the Peter Powell version, and only recently found out that other DJ's had one for themselves too.

The best track in the 1974 chart coming up at No2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sure remember that jingle from around 1984, but I only ever recall the Peter Powell version, and only recently found out that other DJ's had one for themselves too.

The best track in the 1974 chart coming up at No2.

Here it is

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/sounds/summer_radio_blackburn.mp3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one Keicar. Always remember Peter Powell adoring this jingle on his afternoon show on Radio 1 in the summer holidays of 1984. He could never stop playing it. But it is a good one.

Britain's No1 this time in 1974, Sugar Baby Love - Rubettes, one of those guilty ones I quite enjoy and have put on the iPod.

Off to 1981, and Tony made a slip and said 1991! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the "telling off" he just gave to some guy named Gary who texted in arguing about the Grover Washington track. Tony says "We do actually know what we are doing". Not quite, you said 1991 Tone! If you are going to query a track at least get your fact right! What a fool to text that in that guy was. Tony must have been quite annoyed to berate him live on air like that!

Too many pointless trailers are intruding on Pick Of The Pops in a way that they never used to, and it spoils the flow and is just not needed during this show. :mad:

Kim Carnes now, anyone for a Coke, or was it Pepsi? That campaign worked well then, I can't tell which. :confused:

He has just played Smokey Robinson's Being With You, and earlier Michael Jackson's One Day In Your Life, both future No1's later in June 1981, and the only time in UK Chart history that one Motown record (Jackson) replaced another (Smokey) at the No1 position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Adam Ant's video being shot on 1 inch Type C tape...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dandy Highwayman is not looking too bad lately either. 32 years ago....how can it be?

Just to say that on the very date of this chart, 30th May 1981 I went to see my first ever "live" concert, an act that had been played in the first hour from 1974 with their debut hit, but who by 1981 were on their final hit making legs, Showaddywaddy. Not cool I know, but taken by your parents aged 12 is a good get out clause. My younger brother refused to go and see them, so I went with a female classmate instead too. :)
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to the 81 chart its no surprise that 'Stand and Deliver' was far too good for everything else in the top five.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's in the PAMS/JAM pack Tony generally uses...
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Apparently Tony is playing just Vinyl records soon on POTP's. Must be some new ones as there could be scratches on some old BBC ones?

Does anyone know which years they are doing next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    I don't think it's in the PAMS/JAM pack Tony generally uses...

Shame would be a good addition.
    david1956 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which years they are doing next week.

66 & 76.
  • wixy1360wixy1360 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    "I don't think it's in the PAMS/JAM pack Tony generally uses..."

They were UK not Dallas.
    I think they were by a Chris Rainbow who did much of the multi-track layers himself.
    Some ILRs had versions too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This new thread is designed for music and singles chart lovers to add their comments about Pick Of The Pops with Tony Blackburn on Radio 2, broadcast every Saturday afternoon between 1pm and 3pm.

Later today he will be playing this week in 1974 and 1981.

For myself, it is always a date and time with the radio each week since he took over and presented the show live. Although only doing the show since late 2010 it is already as if the show has always been his. He has made it his own very quickly. Whatever anyone wants to say about Pick Of The Pops, say it here from now on! :)

The current version of this show is a poor one compared to Dale Winton's time presenting. I know it was voice tracked then but you did not get Dale talking all over the records and reading out ego massaging texts.

If you want to listen to a retro chart show I suggest you listen to the Classic Retro Countdown on Atlantic Oldies 2NG at 2pm UK time tomorrow. You will hear most of the top 50 from this week in 1973. You will hear many songs that Radio 2 never play. This is a very good, well researched show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    The current version of this show is a poor one compared to Dale Winton's time presenting. I know it was voice tracked then but you did not get Dale talking all over the records and reading out ego massaging texts.

Totally disagree, the show is an 'event' now, a must listen, wouldn't have bothered me at all if I missed an Winton episode.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Apparently Tony is playing just Vinyl records soon on POTP's. Must be some new ones as there could be scratches on some old BBC ones?

Tony mentioned this one the show today and said it's the first time Pick of the Pops has been done by just using vinyl.

Sorry Tony but it's not. How do you think that it was done all those years ago ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Tony mentioned this one the show today and said it's the first time Pick of the Pops has been done by just using vinyl.

Sorry Tony but it's not. How do you think that it was done all those years ago ?

Quite right. Even in the early 1990s Alan Freeman used vinyl. I have a recording of his last Radio 1 show from December 1992 and you can clearly tell it is all vinyl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another new track to me, Gigliola Cinquetti's Eurovision second placer to Abba. Sort of pleasant.

The UK gave her maximum points. Guess how many we gave to Abba.

Nil Points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame would be a good addition.

66 & 76.

1976 had the Wurzels and JJ Barrie in the top 3. YUK.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/sounds/summer_burnett.mp3