Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

I remember Paul still using that jingle in 2007 during Classic Golds final few months.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poptastic!

I'm listening to POTP on the iPlayer and it's now playing the number 1 from 1974 - I used to own 'Sugar Baby Love' by The Rubettes, one of the first singles I ever bought. It still sounds brilliant.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Poptastic!

I'm listening to POTP on the iPlayer and it's now playing the number 1 from 1974 - I used to own 'Sugar Baby Love' by The Rubettes, one of the first singles I ever bought. It still sounds brilliant.

Excellent, I liked that Paper Lace song. In fact I love everything about seventies music except punk and Yes. I can't wait until TB does 1971 again and Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep is in the charts. Where's the mama gone?
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and I am a 40 year old music lover so well with in the age bracket and I want to hear post 2000 charts. I certainly at least want to hear some 90's charts. If it is aiming at the age group you say it is ridiculous that we rarely ever hear anything from the last 20 years.
    As for the 2 years being featured being poles apart. No they are not. Only 7 years apart and certainly more didn't happen between these 2 years than 60 years of pop music to date! We are always hearing 1981 and I suspect again we will hear the delights of Stars on 45 again!:yawn:
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Barely a gap? The singles charts of 1974 and 1981 may be just 7 years apart, but in music terms they are light years away from each other. More happened between those two dates in music than in most of the entire 60 years of pop music to date.

Most listeners to Pick Of The Pops do not want to hear charts since the year 2000 for a start, although 2001 has been played before. I'm guessing it's aiming at 35 to 55 year old music lovers, but did play 1961 last week, which would appeal to people of almost 70, so in the hosts age bracket.

Regarding age, my parents listen to it most Saturdays and they just turned 60 (im 30). I listen to some of it in passing, when im with them and it was through that and hearing some 60s/70s music on TV and in restaurants sometimes that got me specifically interested in music 'before my time' about a year or two ago. I'm really keen on mainly 70s and 80s music (also the ocassional 60s track), though I wasn't born until the mid 80s. I'm building a collection of the TOTP year by year compilations and enjoying it. I made a couple of guitar solo videos featuring some of my favourite riffs which feature some pretty old material - I made those last easter.

I seem to remember the local radio station used to play some 70s pop, soul and R&B while I was growing up, so maybe I got an ear from it there as well. Personally the 90s were 'my years' when I was a teenager, so I'd love to hear some of that too but it wouldn't necessarily mean much to the majority of listeners, so I'd understand not covering that time - maybe in 10 years time or so?.

I imagine some people think its a bit strange that I listen and like music thats pretty old but I do like some modern day artists as well - I like what I like :) I imagine I'm probably about the youngest person (or one of them) to enjoy listening and shown an interest in it sometimes but I could be wrong and am happy to be proven wrong :) I think Tony is a good DJ for the show as he's quite laid back, although it is frustrating when DJs talk over the end of tracks - tut.

If Radio 1 had a show dedicated to playing music between say the early 80s and the late 90s, that would suit me fine but I doubt if they'd do that because Radio 1 is supposed to be purely about the up-and-coming, hits before and as their hits, isn't it :confused: I could be wrong though. [/speech] :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit disappointed that TB didn't play 'Ossie's Dream' at number 5 this week in 1981. While it's not the best of songs (it's rubbish to be honest!) I do wish TB would play all of the records inside the top 10 and not skip one or two. It was for this reason that I stopped listening for a while, TB can be too selective about what is (or not is) played.

It's a shame as it spoiled what has otherwise been a great show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit disappointed that TB didn't play 'Ossie's Dream' at number 5 this week in 1981. While it's not the best of songs (it's rubbish to be honest!) I do wish TB would play all of the records inside the top 10 and not skip one or two. It was for this reason that I stopped listening for a while, TB can be too selective about what is (or not is) played.

Yes it contained that immortal lyric "Spurs are on their way to Wembley, Ossie's knees have gone all trembly....."!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Yes it contained that immortal lyric "Spurs are on their way to Wembley, Ossie's knees have gone all trembly....."!
    :D

Good old Chas n Dave doing the business on the lyrics!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Good old Chas n Dave doing the business on the lyrics!

Chas and Dave are the business!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! There was a documentary about them on BBC4 the other day, I think it was first broadcast last year, which shows how much musical heritage they both have. I love their music.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you listen to the Classic Retro Countdown on Atlantic Oldies 2NG you will hear most of the records in the top 40. All the top 20 are usually played.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member

And responsible for the follow up in '82 Tottenham Tottenham No One Can Stop Them or as we used to sing at school, Tottenham Tottenham No One Supports 'Em

The good old FA Cup days when if the Saturday match ended in a draw we'd get a Thursday night replay.
  • mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I love Tony's style and he plays songs other stations leave out, a major plus for me. I tend to listen only to 1977-1985 though, as they're what interests me.

I love this show and think TB is excellent but rarely listen to the 1st hour as I'm generally more interested in 76 onwards.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    I think most listeners of the programme want to hear charts from the sixties, seventies and eighties not the nineties and 00's. I'm most interested in the charts from the sixties and seventies, not early sixties though. Regarding charts from the nineties and 00's it must be remembered which station this show is on, most Radio 2 listeners wouldn't want to listen to rap/hip hop/rave etc, maybe there could be an alternative Pick of the Pops on Radio 1 to cover those years.
    Nonsense. The only time they did a Noughties chart was last year when they did 2001 which hardly featured any Dance or Rap. The 90's as well was a decade where Radio 2 friendly artists like Simply Red, The Beautiful South , The Lightning Seeds and Sheryl Crow regularly had hits. This is all about what Tony Blackburn wants. Even with the years he does he misses out big climbers he hates and and plays songs going down the chart that he likes. Also Radio 1 very rarely plays old music and are certainly not going to all the time they want to lower the average age of it's audience.
    You say it should be remembered what station the show is on. Well the target age of the station is over 35';s. A 35 year old would have been 15 in 1993 and 20 in 1998. So the show isn't reflecting that. Also if Dance music is so unsuitable for Radio 2 why does Dave Pearce have a Saturday night Dance show on the station?
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a fantastic jingle. Has he played that then previously on POTP?
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said this before, but I think it would be great if there was a POTP on both Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday one could be 80s and beyond and the Sunday one 50s-70s. It wouldn't bother me if this meant one or both had to be recorded - at least there'd be more music and less reading out of texts.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    I've said this before, but I think it would be great if there was a POTP on both Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday one could be 80s and beyond and the Sunday one 50s-70s. It wouldn't bother me if this meant one or both had to be recorded - at least there'd be more music and less reading out of texts.

Would that be POTP overkill ?

Saturday's schedule on Radio 2 is more "current" so say 80's or 90's or even 00's on a Saturday would work, then Sunday concentrating on the older stuff but no idea where it could fit into the schedules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a fantastic jingle. Has he played that then previously on POTP?

Not to my knowledge, it would certainly add to a summer chart rundown...
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! There was a documentary about them on BBC4 the other day, I think it was first broadcast last year, which shows how much musical heritage they both have. I love their music.

I might be getting mixed up but did they used to do some of the music on The Big Breakfast in the 90s? there was the guy who played piano during the big end of week knees up on the Friday, I think that was someone else but I seem to remember they appeared a few times, maybe linked to that? I think Denise was quite the fan (no big surprise there lol) :)
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    C&D certainly have great musical heritage, they worked with Joe Meek in the early 60's.
    They've knocked out some great songs over the years, though Ossie's Dream aint one of them. There just aint no pleasing some people :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Tony mentioned this one the show today and said it's the first time Pick of the Pops has been done by just using vinyl.

Sorry Tony but it's not. How do you think that it was done all those years ago ?

A mix of vinyl and audio tape, with the later the addition of 8 track tape cartridges, so maybe he is using just vinyl this time.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mix of vinyl and audio tape, with the later the addition of 8 track tape cartridges, so maybe he is using just vinyl this time.

He said they'll be Phil Swern's vinyl 45'S too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be good to hear the countdown from 1976. Hopefully Tony will play 'Love Hangover' by Diana Ross. It's possibly my favourite Diana Ross song.

I wonder which chart he will be counting down, the chart dated 5 June 1976 or the one dated 12 June 1976? As the programme is broadcast on 8 June 2013 it would make sense to countdown the latter chart as it was first unveiled on Tuesday 8 June 1976. Back in 1976 June was the first month of the unforgettable heatwave that we had that year although until the 22nd of June the weather was changeable apart from a mini-heatwave on the 7th to the 9th of June. Then we had a spell of cool and unsettled weather before the heatwave that we all remember started in earnest on 22 June and lasted until 27 August when we began to have very memorable thunderstorms - Newcastle was hit on the 28th by flash flooding and I can remember the shopping centre in my town just south of Newcastle being flooded and I remember getting absolutely soaking wet!

But the records Tony will be playing next weekend remind me of the start of the heatwave, especially (if it is played) 'The Boys Are Back In Town' by Thin Lizzy which I especially associate with the heatwave, partly because it was a massive radio hit in June and July 1976 and so I heard the song quite a lot back then and partly because of the verse

That jukebox in the corner blasting out my favorite song
    The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long
    Won't be long till summer comes
    Now that the boys are here again

which summed up the summer perfectly for me.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ossie's Dream was one of the earliest singles my brother had, and he did not even support Spurs, duh?

I was a bit disappointed that Tony passed by Human League's The Sound Of The Crowd and went for George Harrison's All Those Years Ago. I think if you are playing a particular year then it helps to try and play what sounds more relevant from the year in question if it was in the Top 20, and Human League were more so than one of the former Beatles less great solo efforts.

David1956 mentioned Dale's shows being better, well I have got a couple of years of his on tape, as well as the final 2 of Fluff's, and although Dale was not as bad as I thought when he took over from the original master of POTP, his shows were just competent and no more, whereas Tony has brought an enthusiastic spark into it again which is just great. He is miles better in every way, and I can tell you that Dale did also talk over tracks because I've heard some back and it didn't take long to find him doing it.

I think the reason he reads so many texts and tweets out on air is likely down to the producers wanting the show to "prove it's live" more than anything else. The text yesterday from the guy that told Tony he had played Bill Withers Just The Two Of Us, when I, and most, Tony included, knew it was Grover Washington Jnr's version was just hilarious. I loved the on air put down he gave to the texter when he said "We do actually know what we are doing here you know". That told him.

JBO's post #2 mentioned hoping June 1988 will get played. It did get played tonight on Smooth's copy of POTP with David Jensen. When he followed it up with this weekend in 1979 you just could feel the difference in quality between the two years, showing 1988 up for the low it was at that point in the 1980's, and for how brilliant 1979 was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good idea of yours to start a Pick Of The Pops thread Rich Tea. After all these years the board has been running, back to 2000 or so, and after a few DS threads over the years about certain aspects of POTP, in hindsight I'm surprised that no-one had previously thought to start a dedicated POTP thread.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a good idea of yours to start a Pick Of The Pops thread Rich Tea. After all these years the board has been running, back to 2000 or so, and after a few DS threads over the years about certain aspects of POTP, in hindsight I'm surprised that no-one had previously thought to start a dedicated POTP thread.

I was so sure there must have already been one and kept checking through back in time with no result. I agree I am surprised nobody had done so (to my knowledge) beforehand. I just like to think of POTP as the complementary radio version of the TOTP thread for TV, and means a wider remit on talking about the music of a different year each week, rather than trying, and often failing to stick to the narrower bind that is 1978 with TOTP. Glad yourself and some others have enthusiastically shown up on it. ;)