Options

Heart is coming

I'm hearing March for Heart.

What do we think will be the breakfast and drive shows in the Northwest and Northeast?

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it replacing Real Radio in all of the existing real areas?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Global have said they will in any public statement, but that is what those in the industry in articles and blogs speculate will happen?

There is a thread about speculation on the various various options for the forced sale of 7 stations by the competion commission. But Global keeping and rebrand of all the Real stations seems most likely?
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member

As already said Global have not said but expanding Heart is one of Globals aims and the Real stations are an easy switch to Heart.

Imagine how many hours could be added to the Heart brand by adding north west and Central Scotland. Both stations have the potential to deliver 10 million hours in my view.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for the people up NORTH.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BruteForce wrote: »
    I'm hearing March for Heart.

What do we think will be the breakfast and drive shows in the Northwest and Northeast?

Can you give a source for this? If so, that would mean the Marcher Group would be sold in North Wales because it was Real OR Heart for this area.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doubt if anyone in Global will admit to leaking anything, the nearest might be this back in November
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/real-radio-could-be-off-the-air-by-spring-1413802
    An announcement is expected before the end of March to confirm whether it will close and become Heart Scotland, or be sold off.
    A Real insider said: “They’re making changes while we’re still called Real Radio so when they open as Heart, no one will know it was them who destroyed this station.”
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Poor Northern radio listeners.
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Poor Northern radio listeners.
    I know. Imagine having to put up with the inferior Real Radio for so long.
  • Options
    No_BS_HereNo_BS_Here Posts: 101
    Forum Member

The one thing Real Radio has/had, is a heart & the listeners genuinely connected with it & its presenters. That cannot be claimed for the ironically-named "Heart". You can slag Real off all you like but look at the average hours, the audience listen longer to Real (7.3 according to last Rajar) than they do to Heart (6.7) what does that tell you?
  • Options
    leddersledders Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol, very amusing indeed!

On a serious note, it will be a very bad day if and when Real Radio disappears from our airwaves.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No_BS_Here wrote: »
    The one thing Real Radio has/had, is a heart & the listeners genuinely connected with it & its presenters. That cannot be claimed for the ironically-named "Heart". You can slag Real off all you like but look at the average hours, the audience listen longer to Real (7.3 according to last Rajar) than they do to Heart (6.7) what does that tell you?

Let's be honest, they never connected with "Two girls and a guy". That was a terrible programming decision and the station never really recovered from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but look at the average hours, the audience listen longer to Real (7.3 according to last Rajar) than they do to Heart (6.7) what does that tell you?
    The same average hours that are falling like a lead balloon in the North West then?

Real Radio North West
    Q3/2012 7.4
    Q4/2013 8.0
    Q1/2013 7.7
    Q2/2013 7.5
    Q3/2013 6.6

Meanwhile across the Real Radio Network
    Q3/2012 8.5
    Q4/2012 8.2
    Q1/2013 7.7
    Q2/2013 7.5
    Q3/2013 7.3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    The same average hours that are falling like a lead balloon in the North West then?

Real Radio North West
    Q3/2012 7.4
    Q4/2013 8.0
    Q1/2013 7.7
    Q2/2013 7.5
    Q3/2013 6.6

Meanwhile across the Real Radio Network
    Q3/2012 8.5
    Q4/2012 8.2
    Q1/2013 7.7
    Q2/2013 7.5
    Q3/2013 7.3

That is called the Global effect happens to nearly all stations when they start going through the transition of becoming a Global station.
  • Options
    No_BS_HereNo_BS_Here Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    As you well know, I was looking at Total figures for both Real & Heart, not individual stations. Just looking again, it becomes clear to me that Real Radio Networks average hours have consistently beaten Hearts since at least Q3 2012 too...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    That is called the Global effect happens to nearly all stations when they start going through the transition of becoming a Global station.
    It's nothing to do with Global. The average hours are from when the company was trading as Real & Smooth Ltd.
    As you well know, I was looking at Total figures for both Real & Heart, not individual stations. Just looking again, it becomes clear to me that Real Radio Networks average hours have consistently beaten Hearts since at least Q3 2012 too...........
    Whichever way you want to look at there's no denying Real's hours have dropped considerably which means they aren't listening for as long as they used to. There's clearly something very wrong.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive to scotland a lot from suffolk and love real in scotland and the North East. If real goes it will beca disgrace as i loved listening to it. I can not stand so called local stations on FM being networked from London.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drive to scotland a lot from suffolk and love real in scotland and the North East. If real goes it will beca disgrace as i loved listening to it. I can not stand so called local stations on FM being networked from London.

They are currently networked from Manchester for all except 7 hours per day.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Doubt if anyone in Global will admit to leaking anything, the nearest might be this back in November
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/real-radio-could-be-off-the-air-by-spring-1413802

That article is from November 2012, talking about March 2013.

Although as soon Global sells some stations (expected in February) they can get on with rebranding Real to Heart, so it's likely within the next 2-3 months.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Real stations are now terrible, they were definitely better as Century, however the reason why they are particularly terrible right now is because they have been bought by Global in preparation for Heart. But they weren't necessarily great when they were owned by GMG, they were a bog standard commercial radio station with almost nothing adventurous about it just like Heart, they had a few more interesting features like the sport phone-in that Global killed on Real Radio Wales when it was bought by Global. In this state, Heart will feel slicker and better than Real in its current state which is Global's intention.
    When Real Radio North Wales launched it has nothing at all for North Wales and even networking with England after 7pm, it was very disappointing.

I hope something happens with the ex-Marcher stations as they are going to directly overlap with Real.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »

On a serious note, it will be a very bad day if and when Real Radio disappears from our airwaves.

On one hand...

A minority of Real Radio listeners won't like Heart and will tune elsewhere. A few anoraks will be sad because they'll have one or two less radio stations to twiddle their knobs to. Some staff will be made redundant which is sadly happening everywhere, not just in radio.

On the other hand...

The majority of listeners will benefit from a much more tightly focused, demographically targeted service with higher profile presenters and big cash prizes. More listeners will be attracted increasing reach and share.

The advertisers will be happy because they'll be reaching more potential customers and Ashley will be happy because his company will be making more money.

Sounds like common sense to me.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Heart doesn't really suit the North or Scotland, so it will be interesting to see if it works, it probably will but without much connection to anyone, it only works on an instant gratification basis like McDonalds over Yorkshire puddings.
  • Options
    HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said, what about 2yrs ago...? HEART IS COMING! DO ONE Real Radio!
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »

On the other hand...

The majority of listeners will benefit from a much more tightly focused, demographically targeted service with higher profile presenters

Translates to
    Tightly focussed;... same boring dozen or so songs, day in, day out!
    Higher profile presenters;....more "Z" list wanna be celebs with no radio experience, whose shows are voicetracked.

I love the way you sing it straight off the "Global Hymn sheet", really makes me laugh!
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    It beats me how anyone could possibly "benefit" by having a bland restrictive playlist like the one on Heart imposed on them.
    It will be the same as what happened with Smooth. The heart has been ripped out. RIP Real Radio
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    On one hand...

A minority of Real Radio listeners won't like Heart and will tune elsewhere. A few anoraks will be sad because they'll have one or two less radio stations to twiddle their knobs to. Some staff will be made redundant which is sadly happening everywhere, not just in radio.

The Network presenters might find Jobs on a few of the 'offloaded' stations, say if Real Radio yorkshire or Heart wales reintroduced local programming under a new name.

I could possibly see Darren Parks work for Free Radio, I dunno about the rest. He'll could be Orion's Answer to Toby Anstis?

On the other hand...

The majority of listeners will benefit from a much more tightly focused, demographically targeted service with higher profile presenters and big cash prizes. More listeners will be attracted increasing reach and share.

The advertisers will be happy because they'll be reaching more potential customers and Ashley will be happy because his company will be making more money.

Sounds like common sense to me.

The question is, would he be happy to sacrifice half of The Capital Network (on FM) for all of the Reals (for Heart)?

I'm going to put my £5 bet on Global announcing the rebrand on Valentines day.