Options

Tony West

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    A real trip back to the mid 1980's. I lived in Dagenham at the time and was able for some reason to pick up Chiltern Radio. I thought it sounded better than Capital, this was just before Richard Park revamped Capital. Anyway must be around 1985-86 and Chiltern sounded great, better music closer to Radio 1's Top 40 sound the Jingles and presentation sounded a whole lot better than Capital or Essex Radio etc. Anyway Tony West was a must to listen to I prefered listening to him than Steve Wright who was on medium wave Radio 1. It's a great shame he is not broadcasting anymore he would really fit in on Magic, Smooth or Gold he had a great voice and slick presentation. Looking back Chiltern was really ahead of the game it was a couple of years ahead of it's time sounding slicker and more music orintated than Capital, Essex Radio.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to add this thought. Although I said it would be great to hear Tony on Smooth, Magic etc. Why not Radio 2 in fact I think the problem with radio these days, is that Radio 2 is obsessed with TV personalities presenting shows with little music or radio knowledege. Radio 1 with its urban git down the road presentation or blokey woman and commercial stations with little or no room for personality. We have more choice than we did in the eighties but in a way there is less to listen to.
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richard23 wrote: »
    I just wanted to add this thought. Although I said it would be great to hear Tony on Smooth, Magic etc. Why not Radio 2 in fact I think the problem with radio these days, is that Radio 2 is obsessed with TV personalities presenting shows with little music or radio knowledege. Radio 1 with its urban git down the road presentation or blokey woman and commercial stations with little or no room for personality. We have more choice than we did in the eighties but in a way there is less to listen to.

Tony's style was always a tad Dave Lee Smashy, from an era when jocks had a less crowded media market to function in, made rock star money and bought farms ;)

There's no way R2 would take him cold with no profile or recent track record, so he'd have to work his way up and back, and that would mean absorbing the more realistic natural styles of contemporary broadcasting. He was very good in his day though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Interesting comment. I've heard some of the awful people on radio amongst the few really good ones. Tony could actually fit in anywhere and does still have some great innovative ideas for radio. The question is whether today's radio stations are happy plodding along or what to do something to increase their listening figures and put a fantastic guy back on the airwaves where I think he belongs. He still has the voice and can still draw people to him. Please - someone put him back on air !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I used to go to School with Tony West although he was called by another name then. He was very musical. He played Piano, Clarinet and Violin, at least. I played with him in the school band.
    He used to play a lot of Sedaka and told us he was Tony Blackburn's long lost son. Ha!
    I remember one day he came into class and we could hardly breath because he had too much 'brute' on.
    I always thought he was on Reading 210 but never did find him.
    Probably because he wasn't there?
    They were good times. I just hope he's happy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame Tony never made it offshore like Tony Gareth, Steve Conway and Chris Kennedy.
  • Options
    Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    He sure had a great voice. Presenters didn't seem to ever stay long on Atlantic 252.
  • Options
    Barry_JamesBarry_James Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I remember Tony from a Sunday night gig he used to do in a pub just outside Maidenhead,it would have been circa 1981/82
    They were fun nights,just as the Stars on 45 thing hit the charts.
    He always came across as far too good and professional for a mobile gig,but perhaps the offer was to good to refuse,as they say.
    Good to hear he still around