The Doctor in the Tardis Doesnt Know

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the Doctor is not in the TARDIS, now is he and he does know.

So who's the other doctor in the TARDIS? Doctor River Song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    It's correct - the TARDIS isn't something they are acknowledging as having sentient thoughts, so they aren't screditing it with being able to notice.

I would imagine it would be written like this:

'The Doctor and the TARDIS' hasn't noticed. - 'The Doctor and the TARDIS' being one thing.

Sorry, but that just looks and sounds wrong.

'In the TARDIS' makes a hell of a lot more sense.

"The Doctor (and the TARDIS) doesn't know" makes no sense to me either. Why is 'and the TARDIS' in brackets? Putting it in brackets implies that it has similar properties to the Doctor - that it is sentient, in this particular sentence. Which means that there's no need to stick it in brackets, and 'have not noticed' would be correct there.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Sorry, but that just looks and sounds wrong.

'In the TARDIS' makes a hell of a lot more sense.

"The Doctor (and the TARDIS) doesn't know" makes no sense to me either. Why is 'and the TARDIS' in brackets? Putting it in brackets implies that it has similar properties to the Doctor - that it is sentient, in this particular sentence. Which means that there's no need to stick it in brackets, and 'have not noticed' would be correct there.

You're not understanding what was meant by the brackets. In fact you've turned it completely opposite - it means that that particular part of the sentence is superfluous: that the sentence would still read sensibly without that information.

Therefore 'have not noticed' does not work.

BTW - grammar doesn't have to 'look and sound right' in order to be right. Especially nowadays when grammar has got sloppy and Americanised in a lot of media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not understanding what was meant by the brackets. In fact you've turned it completely opposite - it means that that particular part of the sentence is superfluous: that the sentence would still read sensibly without that information.

Therefore 'have not noticed' does not work.

BTW - grammar doesn't have to 'look and sound right' in order to be right. Especially nowadays when grammar has got sloppy and Americanised in a lot of media.

Yes, the brackets make it superfluous. But you can't just stick random words into a set of brackets either. They have to bear some relation to what's being said or written.
    Forum Member
    Yes, the brackets make it superfluous. But you can't just stick random words into a set of brackets either. They have to bear some relation to what's being said or written.

Indeed - the TARDIS belongs to the Doctor. It is not a separate entity (as I have explained in other posts), therefore it has been put into brackets...

All correct grammatically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe this debate is still rolling on: the iplayer subtitles definitely has it down as "the doctor in the tardis doesn't know" - end of argument, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed - the TARDIS belongs to the Doctor. It is not a separate entity (as I have explained in other posts), therefore it has been put into brackets...

All correct grammatically.

Nope, sorry. I still completely disagree with you.

Does the sentence 'The Doctor (and his hair) doesn't eat fish' make any sense to you?

Yes, the hair belongs to the Doctor, but it has no relation to the rest of the sentence, like you're suggesting is happening in your example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Doctor Song?

Well she is in the TARDIS. I hadn't thought of that but quite like it.

We all assumed that "The Doctor in the TARDIS" (which is what is said according to the iplayer subtitles - round about the 45 min 30 second mark) was 11, maybe that's the bit we're all missing in TEH, maybe the Doctor in this case is River. Nice bit of misdirection if true.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    And is the reason for the line about her not being a Professor yet.
    Forum Member
    Nope, sorry. I still completely disagree with you.

Does the sentence 'The Doctor (and his hair) doesn't eat fish' make any sense to you?

Yes, the hair belongs to the Doctor, but it has no relation to the rest of the sentence, like you're suggesting is happening in your example.

Not the same at all - the TARDIS belongs to the Doctor, hair is part of the Doctor.

Two completely different grammatical rules.

You can disagree if you wish - that's your prerogative. It doesn't, however, stop you from being wrong. :p
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    And is the reason for the line about her not being a Professor yet.

Spoilers! :p

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same at all - the TARDIS belongs to the Doctor, hair is part of the Doctor.

Two completely different grammatical rules.

You can disagree if you wish - that's your prerogative. It doesn't, however, stop you from being wrong. :p

Change 'hair' to 'chair' then. :rolleyes:

It's no different.
    Forum Member
    Change 'hair' to 'chair' then. :rolleyes:

It's no different.

Anyway, the sentence: The Doctor and his hair doesn't eat fish.

It does make sense.

Because it's: the Doctor with his hair not eating fish, not: Neither the Doctor nor his hair eat fish. It would be nonsensical to include the hair as part of the non-fish eating subjects of the sentence. There is only one non-fish eating subject, and that would be the Doctor.

I'm afraid you're not making me change my mind. Although, it's not really a case of that - it's knowing grammar or not...

;)
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It does make sense.

Because it's: the Doctor with his hair not eating fish, not: Neither the Doctor nor his hair eat fish. It would be nonsensical to include the hair as part of the non-fish eating subjects of the sentence. There is only one non-fish eating subject, and that would be the Doctor.

I'm afraid you're not making me change my mind. Although, it's not really a case of that - it's knowing grammar or not...

;)

These words are spoken by an alien inhabiting three bodies, and confused about which mouth to use. It would be hardly surprising if it did have trouble knowing when to use singular and plural. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does make sense.

;)

Knowing grammar? Oh dear. :D

I had a really long post written out, but basically I'll sum it up by saying that you don't know how to use brackets.

In most cases, and particularly in the sentence you've tried to insist is grammatically correct, parantheses should be able to be replaced by commas. Using parantheses just gives that sentence fragment lesser importance.

'The Doctor, and the TARDIS, doesn't know' does not make grammatical sense, no matter how hard you're trying to argue it does.
    Forum Member
    Knowing grammar? Oh dear. :D

I had a really long post written out, but basically I'll sum it up by saying that you don't know how to use brackets.

In most cases, and particularly in the sentence you've tried to insist is grammatically correct, parantheses should be able to be replaced by commas. Using parantheses just gives that sentence fragment lesser importance.

'The Doctor, and the TARDIS, doesn't know' does not make grammatical sense, no matter how hard you're trying to argue it does.

Sorry - I was simplifying. Didn't want to confuse you, as you started off sounding like it would be difficult to explain, having not noticed that you were wrong. Using brackets was an easier option to go with.

You carry on with your opinion though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    'The Doctor and the Tardis doesn't know' doesn't grammatically agree with itself. It should be don't know.

That's not opinion, it's empirically true.

However, it's possible to write a character who speaks grammatically incorrectly - and as this thread shows, there are plenty of people who WOULD use that form.

The question is, is Prisoner Zero such a character?

Well, maybe if P0 is really Rose's mum. Otherwise? Nah.

It's 'in'. You've just been thrown off by a child actor with poor diction. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I was simplifying. Didn't want to confuse you, as you started off sounding like it would be difficult to explain, having not noticed that you were wrong. Using brackets was an easier option to go with.

You carry on with your opinion though.

You didn't choose brackets to simplify anything for me, you were already using them by the time I joined that part of the discussion.

In any case, 'The Doctor (and the TARDIS) doesn't know' or 'The Doctor and the TARDIS doesn't know' OR 'The Doctor, and the TARDIS, doesn't know' make no grammatical sense, brackets or not.

Edited to add: By the way, apologies to everyone else! This must be one of the most tedious arguments to hit these forums. :o
    Forum Member
    You didn't choose brackets to simplify anything for me, you were already using them by the time I joined that part of the discussion.

In any case, 'The Doctor (and the TARDIS) doesn't know' or 'The Doctor and the TARDIS doesn't know' OR 'The Doctor, and the TARDIS, doesn't know' make no grammatical sense, brackets or not.

Edited to add: By the way, apologies to everyone else! This must be one of the most tedious arguments to hit these forums. :o

One last attempt, then I'm done:

You wouldn't say:

'The Doctor don't know'

Yet by pointing out that I am incorrect using brackets and commas is, in essence, exactly what you are saying.

If you can't understand that, then I can't explain it to you any clearer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Do We all Agree that the Sentence said is

"The Doctor in the Tardis doesnt know"
    Anyway i'm confused about this why would the angels and prisoner zero be surprised that the Doctor doesnt know about the Cracks or the Pandorica?

Is he supposed to know he is ultimately going to be placed in the Pandorica and that the Tardis will blow up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One last attempt, then I'm done:

You wouldn't say:

'The Doctor don't know'

Yet by pointing out that I am incorrect using brackets and commas is, in essence, exactly what you are saying.

If you can't understand that, then I can't explain it to you any clearer.

No, it's not. It's really not. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.

I'm saying that the subject of the sentence is 'The Doctor'. By adding 'and the TARDIS', you're making the subject plural. Therefore, 'don't know' would be correct in that instance.

The only way that 'doesn't know' can be correct is by making the subject singular. The subject isn't singular here because 'and' makes it plural.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. Unless you want me to point you to some beginners' grammar sites.
    Forum Member
    No, it's not. It's really not. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.

I'm saying that the subject of the sentence is 'The Doctor'. By adding 'and the TARDIS', you're making the subject plural. Therefore, 'don't know' would be correct in that instance.

The only way that 'doesn't know' can be correct is by making the subject singular. The subject isn't singular here because 'and' makes it plural.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. Unless you want me to point you to some beginners' grammar sites.

Yes please.

But before you do, just have a quick swot-up yourself.
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    the doctor in the tardis doesnt know that liz 10 is his distant relative thanks to liz one and david tennant's doc,

oooooooooooooh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh

(am chuffed got quagmire quote on a doc who message board)
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has no-one checked the subtitles to work out if it's a BBC grammar fubar or a hint?
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Has no-one checked the subtitles to work out if it's a BBC grammar fubar or a hint?

No, but it might be a good idea. It's sometimes difficult to tell by listening whether it's the Doctor in the tardis or the Doctor and the tardis.

In FAS I've stopped it and listened again but I'm still not sure whether Angel Bob says "The Doctor in (or and) the tardis hasn't noticed".