Options

Pandora's Box. VERY nice.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
Forum Member
So, the myth of Pandora's box is that Pandora's opens a box (or a jar) out of curiousity and vanity (As I recall, she is told it contains a beautifying cream).
Doing this releases all the evils in the world, until at last hope comes out.

I LOVE what Moffat has done with this.
Of course we assumed the the evils were contained within the box, because opening the box released the evil, right?

Well, locking the Doctor up releases all those species to do what they damn well please. And it was his vanity and curiousity which made him believe he was the only one who could handle what was in there, and that he HAD to know.

And now the universe's only hope is inside.

So the evils were always out there. Never in the box. It's only without hope that they cannot be defeated.

I could marry the Moff right now.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never realised that, and it is brilliant. Even though the evil lot weren't inside the box anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was always my favourite part of the myth - the release of Hope at the end.
  • Options
    JosephGJosephG Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moff has completely reinvented the show. It is quite beautiful. I admit I wasn't sure when Matt was revealed on Confidential last year. But I still put my trust in Steven Moffat, never let me down before, as my Coupling and Press Gang dvds remind me!
    But this year has been extraordinary. Such a beautiful series to watch.
    Love your Pandora's Box theory. I can't believe I'm going to miss the final episode. First one since part 2 of the Kings Demon...
    The only thing that has spoiled things for me is the haphazard way the BBC have been scheduling it. Please, next year, decide on a time and leave it there. Even if it is 8pm on a Sunday Night! Moff, Matt and Karen have been-dare I say it-Fantastic! Thank you so much.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Also, throughout series 5 notice how often the Doctor says there is 'always hope', most notably in Vincent and the Doctor, but in many other instances too.

I agree with the OP, the epicness odf Moffat's thinking is awesome (and I know we're all in for a massive treat on Saturday).
  • Options
    jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    might be wrong but I thought Pandora's Box contained only Evils, when she opened it all the evils were released into the world. When she realised what she had done she closed it. All the evils had escaped bar one, Hopelessness, and because it didn't escape into the world then there is always hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jpl wrote: »
    might be wrong but I thought Pandora's Box contained only Evils, when she opened it all the evils were released into the world. When she realised what she had done she closed it. All the evils had escaped bar one, Hopelessness, and because it didn't escape into the world then there is always hope.

I read a different version. When Pandora released the evils and realised what she'd done, she got scared and closed the box. Someone knocked from the inside and begged her to open it. She didn't want to but the voice sounded so trustworthy that she did, and Hope was able to escape and reverse some of the damage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    I read a different version. When Pandora released the evils and realised what she'd done, she got scared and closed the box. Someone knocked from the inside and begged her to open it. She didn't want to but the voice sounded so trustworthy that she did, and Hope was able to escape and reverse some of the damage.

you could well be right, and I could never be certain, long time since I done it in classical studies, bottom line though, there's always hope and that could be the theme in the Big Bang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jpl wrote: »
    you could well be right, and I could never be certain, long time since I done it in classical studies, bottom line though, there's always hope and that could be the theme in the Big Bang

Yeah, it's one of the reasons that I'm loving how it's been brought into the show. The message of the story is really lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's one of the reasons that I'm loving how it's been brought into the show. The message of the story is really lovely.

It is, and your telling of Pandora's Box fits in better with the story on Doctor Who, I.e. the Doctor is Hope
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    JosephG wrote: »
    Moff has completely reinvented the show. It is quite beautiful. I admit I wasn't sure when Matt was revealed on Confidential last year. But I still put my trust in Steven Moffat, never let me down before, as my Coupling and Press Gang dvds remind me!
    Love your Pandora's Box theory. I can't believe I'm going to miss the final episode. First one since part 2 of the Kings Demon...
    The only thing that has spoiled things for me is the haphazard way the BBC have been scheduling it. Please, next year, decide on a time and leave it there. Even if it is 8pm on a Sunday Night! Moff, Matt and Karen have been-dare I say it-Fantastic! Thank you so much.

I'm going to miss it too...:(

Away until next wednesday. I'm so annoyed as I will miss the board exploding with :eek:/:cry:/:D:D:D/:mad: on Saturday night:D
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JosephG wrote: »

Many of the scheduling has been for the benefit of the show, take two weeks ago the BBC weren't going to be stupid and have the ending of the show run over into England's first football match. By showing it a tad bit earlier, it allowed it to finish just before the match. A good move by the BBC. Keep Doctor Who away from big events and reality crap and it retains its audience (Otherwise they'll move to i-Player etc)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who hasn't seen it should track down 'joking apart'. Very early Moff, but deserved better than being bounced around the schedules.

Anyway, I have the idea that to be consistent there should be something else inside the box. The original was the bad stuff, plus hope: so having the pandorica just vanilla hope isn't consistent. There must be something bad in there as well....?
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    I like threads like this - give you something to reflect upon.

The idea of the Doctor representing 'hope' is certainly a pleasing one, but I think we'll have and see what happens this Saturday to see whether the Pandorica is metaphor over macguffin.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm going to miss it too...:(

Away until next wednesday. I'm so annoyed as I will miss the board exploding with :eek:/:cry:/:D:D:D/:mad: on Saturday night:D

lol

I have a feeling the board will go into meltdown :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    lol

I have a feeling the board will go into meltdown :D

me too , i think the website might go down possibly