RGB Signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Hi

Has any one else noticed the difference in colours between RGB and S-Video signals ?

The RGB colours are dull compared to the S-Video. I have also noticed that the RGB signal creates a lot of picture noise which is very noticable when the tv/epg guide is pressed.

I am able to easily to switch between the 2 signals on my humax because that particular scart on my panasonic tv can receive both signals and can therefore switch quite quickly.

I've tried different scart leads and even another tv but the picture noise is still present. I'm begining to think I have a faulty box, in my understanding the RGB signal should be the superior of the 2 but is definately not on my Humax.

I kind of think that the RGB signal o/p is not right.

I'm looking for some HELP !!! if any one is experiencing the same or similar problems I am keen to hear them.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Strange you should mention that.....! In theory, RGB ought to be better, but I too am using s-video, though for different reasons......

My TV has two scart inputs, both will take composite, but one will also take s-video, and the other RGB. My dvd player is using the RGB input, and the vhs is using the s-video socket. When I bought the Humax, I aslo bought an auto sensing scart switch box that will handle RGB, composite or s-video. This is where it gets interesting!

Plug the Humax straight into the telly, and RGB is perfect. Plug it in via the scart switch box, and only the red output gets through - no matter which input socket I use! Plug the DVD (also RGB) via the scart switch unit, and it works perfectly! Huh?

Switch the Humax to s-video, and use the scart switch to share with the vhs, and both work perfectly!

In actual fact, I can see little or no difference between the RGB and s-video inputs, so I'm not unduly bothered, but I would like to know what it is about RGB that seems to upset so many devices!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pchristy wrote:
    My TV has two scart inputs, both will take composite, but one will also take s-video, and the other RGB. My dvd player is using the RGB input, and the vhs is using the s-video socket. When I bought the Humax, I aslo bought an auto sensing scart switch box that will handle RGB, composite or s-video. This is where it gets interesting!
    Why not just plug the Humax directly into the TV's RGB scart and have the DVD player connected to the second scart socket on the Humax?

The DVD signal is passed through as necessary and you can use RGB for both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    mad rocky wrote:
    Hi

Has any one else noticed the difference in colours between RGB and S-Video signals ?

The RGB colours are dull compared to the S-Video. I have also noticed that the RGB signal creates a lot of picture noise which is very noticable when the tv/epg guide is pressed.

I am able to easily to switch between the 2 signals on my humax because that particular scart on my panasonic tv can receive both signals and can therefore switch quite quickly.

I've tried different scart leads and even another tv but the picture noise is still present. I'm begining to think I have a faulty box, in my understanding the RGB signal should be the superior of the 2 but is definately not on my Humax.

I kind of think that the RGB signal o/p is not right.

I'm looking for some HELP !!! if any one is experiencing the same or similar problems I am keen to hear them.

Thanks

I found a similar problem which was down to a poor quality SCART cable. Replacing it with a more expensive cable helped no end. However, I think you have already tried this.

The other thing I found was with an Oggle box connected to a cheap portable TV. I found that the colour, contrast and sharpness settings needed changing between composite and RGB signal. The problem at first with RGB was a lot of colour bleed in the picture compared to composite. After fiddling with the picture I managed to get a really decent picture (considering the cost of the equipment used).

I hope this helps.
    Forum Member
    tievolu wrote:
    Why not just plug the Humax directly into the TV's RGB scart and have the DVD player connected to the second scart socket on the Humax?

The DVD signal is passed through as necessary and you can use RGB for both.

I could do that, but sometimes its handy to be able to watch the two independently - if just to check whats going on!

I have to say that I find it very hard to distinguish between the quality of the RGB and s-video feeds.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pchristy wrote:
    I could do that, but sometimes its handy to be able to watch the two independently - if just to check whats going on!
    If you mean that you want to be able to switch between the two sources whenever you like, that's not a problem when using the pass-through scart. The switching occurs automagically, but you can still switch manually between the Humax and the pass-through signal by pressing the 'source' button on the Humax remote control (it's on the top left of the panel under the flap).
    pchristy wrote:
    I have to say that I find it very hard to distinguish between the quality of the RGB and s-video feeds.......
    I must say that the RGB signal is massively better on my TV - much sharper, with much richer and more vivid colours. However, I'm not sure if this really is down to the quality of the signal, or whether my TV is set up better for RGB signals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    mad rocky wrote:
    Hi

Are you totally sure your input can handle RGB? Are you totally sure that your scart has all the cores connected?

It sounds very much like you're only getting composite. A really quick test is to set the Humax output to composite and see how similar to "RGB" it looks. Or snip the red line in the scart plug and see if you get funny colours (assuming you can solder it back on easily enough!)

Ian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    gadgetmind wrote:
    Are you totally sure your input can handle RGB? Are you totally sure that your scart has all the cores connected?

It sounds very much like you're only getting composite. A really quick test is to set the Humax output to composite and see how similar to "RGB" it looks. Or snip the red line in the scart plug and see if you get funny colours (assuming you can solder it back on easily enough!)

Ian

Yes to both questions. All 21 pins are connected on the scart and the tv can handle both rgb and s-video on AV4 on my tele. Interestingly enough that scart can not handle composite so that kind of proves that it is rgb.

I have another RGB enabled scart socket and it is excactly the same. I am 99% sure it is the humax out putting a poor/noisey signal. If any one could try recording an episode of Pocoyo on ITV ( I use this because it is a computer generated animation with a dominant white back ground ) and then watching it switching between RGB and S-video. When I view in RGB the white background has picture noise. If you see it you'll know what I'm getting at

Thanks

Thanks
    Forum Member
    tievolu wrote:
    If you mean that you want to be able to switch between the two sources whenever you like, that's not a problem when using the pass-through scart. The switching occurs automagically, but you can still switch manually between the Humax and the pass-through signal by pressing the 'source' button on the Humax remote control (it's on the top left of the panel under the flap).

I must say that the RGB signal is massively better on my TV - much sharper, with much richer and more vivid colours. However, I'm not sure if this really is down to the quality of the signal, or whether my TV is set up better for RGB signals.

If it was just me working it, looping through would probably be OK. But I have to allow for my technophobic wife attempting to operate it as well ;-)

Trying to explain to her how the dvd now loops through the Humax would be quite a challenge.........

As far as the RGB was concerned, I was expecting the RGB to be significantly better than s-video. It ain't! The quality on both is excellent! I know my eyes aren't as young as they once were, but as a professional broadcast video engineer, I do take the quality of my pictures seriously! I cannot distinguish between the s-video and RGB inputs, to my amazement!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Interestingly enough that scart can not handle composite so that kind of proves that it is rgb.

When a SCART is in RGB mode, the composite signal is still there are it's used for sync.

On my TVs, the RGB signal is much better than s-video and massively better than composite. Dunno why you're not seeing the same.

Ian