Person of Interest - UK Premiere - Starts 14th August 10pm Channel 5 [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    I was right about FF after only seeing the first ep. Had “cancellation” written all over it from the start. Point to me.

You’re right....It wasn’t just viewers - EVERYBODY was disappointed with FF. A quote from Joseph “Showkiller” Fiennes’ mum: “It was shit and he was shit in it”. :D
    I've seen quite a few people that liked it, and it has a metacritic score of 72, (more than S1 of Community, only 2 less than S1 of Breaking Bad). so quit the bullshit. Just because you disliked it, does not make it bad. ...
    Rilly? Case in point, CSI season finale last night. Bear in mind that POI directly followed on from it but still the hype machine was in overdrive: Five logo had been turned into a promo with Caviezel against a big “5” logo, there were trails in all the ad breaks and just in case you weren’t sick of it already there were IPPs overlaid onto CSI including one right at the end onto the tense climax of the episode ruining the final scenes (a horrible practice Five have imported from the States to really nail home the contempt they have for the viewer). And just to underline how stupid they think viewers are it was also trailed at the end of the ep as well.

So yeah, there is such a thing as too much ****ing marketing.... :rolleyes:
    No such thing as too much marketing. End of. You're a crap businessmen if you think there is.

C5 needed to make sure as many people knew about POI as possible. Easiest way to do that it to advertise it whenever and wherever possible, so they did. Sure it may seem like they're treating the viewer with contempt, but they are a business and that's how they make money,..

AND, it worked they had superb retention for the first 10 mins....
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Breaking Bad a bit more realistic? Wow! :eek: You really do like it. :p

Okay the overall plot line is not that realistic, but the family relationships seem real and the characters seem like real people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Please pay more attention - I wasn’t comparing the content of POI to FF, merely the way Five bombards the viewer with hype when the shows themselves are not worthy of it. They over-market the thing to the point where the viewer is sick of it before it’s begun. Some shows can stand up to this - The Walking Dead for example which is consistently excellent and worthy of being advertised as widely as possible but with average shows like POI and the abysmal FF the marketing just creates hopelessly high expectations that the shows themselves cannot meet. Viewers are instantly disappointed that it’s not groundbreaking, incredibly original programming and as a result judge it more harshly than they would had the marketing been less aggressive. That’s what I mean by Five not having learned the lessons of FF.

As I said in my previous comment: It makes sense that Five would advertise "Person of Interest" a lot as I imagine they paid a lot of money for it. Obviously they want people to watch it. And as a new show on their channel they wanted people to know it was about to start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the first episode, it did get in the story pretty fast so you had to pay attention to what was going on but I think that the crime of the week format will get boring for a show like this for the mean time Im sure that it'll be a good watch
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Just Tracy wrote: »
    I've seen all of this show and definitely think it's worth sticking with. When I watched the first episode I remember thinking it was a bit too serious for my tastes but the 1x02 an 1x03 are better - and once the characters settle in they're good together. Like Stansfield, I was hooked by 1x10 but was already enjoying it to a lesser extent before then.
    Not hooked yet JT, was just commenting that I couldn't wait till ep10 to get hooked....if I'm not by 3, I'm out.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen quite a few people that liked it, and it has a metacritic score of 72, (more than S1 of Community, only 2 less than S1 of Breaking Bad). so quit the bullshit. Just because you disliked it, does not make it bad. ...

Yes, clearly it was cancelled because SO many people loved it and tuned in every week. Or was it cancelled because virtually nobody was watching it anymore due to it being shit?

(It’s option number two in case you can’t figure it out).
    No such thing as too much marketing. End of. You're a crap businessmen if you think there is.

Suggest you look up the definitions of overkill & over-hyped.

Love the use of “End of”. Really adds zing to your assertion. Use it again please...
    C5 needed to make sure as many people knew about POI as possible. Easiest way to do that it to advertise it whenever and wherever possible, so they did. Sure it may seem like they're treating the viewer with contempt, but they are a business and that's how they make money,..

They make money by selling advertising in advance. If their promotion of shows is so over the top, relentless and omnipresent that it turns people off then the job is botched.
    AND, it worked they had superb retention for the first 10 mins....

First ep. Bound to happen. Watch it fall week on week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Not hooked yet JT, was just commenting that I couldn't wait till ep10 to get hooked....if I'm not by 3, I'm out.

Sorry about that, Stansfield. I think the poster before you said they were hooked by ep 10? Someone definitely said it! Sorry! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    @Straker: This argument is ridiculous. If you can't work out why extreme hype is good for C5's business, then you are an idiot.

Also, if the show was over-hyped why were you watching? That's right, it did exactly what was intended, it got your attention and made you want to watch. Sure you hated it but it worked. It seems to me that you're upset because you fell for the hype but didn't like the show. Hardly C5's fault…
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good enough to make it worth watching the second episode. But the writing will have to improve. The rapid fire swapping of cliches will have to stop because it is a bit wearing.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not hijack the thread with petty squabbles please :D
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the 1st episode there.I thought it was alright.I will be giving episode 2 a watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Having watched it at US pace (don't worry, no spoilers) I think it starts very slowly and put too much into episode 1, but it gets much, much better. It loses its 'villain of the week' (or tones it down) approach mid-way through in favour of an on going story, and improves dramatically. I advise y'all stick with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Having already watched season 1, I have to say during the first several (maybe even six or seven!) episodes of this me and the husband really didn't think much of this show. Thought it was a bit formulaic and predictable and gave up on it at one point. Then after I heard it had been renewed for a second season and read a number of favourable reviews, thought we'd give it another shot. By the end of the season we were absolutely loving it and now can't wait for season 2.

So I'd say stick with it IMHO.

Bit like how I found Breaking Bad - found that really very slow to start with and couldn't really get into it at all but stuck with it and gradually it just started drawing me in and I now think it's probably one of the most compelling things on tv!
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gonad007 wrote: »
    Having watched it at US pace (don't worry, no spoilers) I think it starts very slowly and put too much into episode 1, but it gets much, much better. It loses its 'villain of the week' (or tones it down) approach mid-way through in favour of an on going story, and improves dramatically. I advise y'all stick with it.
    I've just seen the first episode on 5USA (first time I've ever watched anything on that channel). It reminded me of BBC1's Paradox to some extent. Some mysterious "force" provides an ambiguous level of information that is then left up to a force for good to unravel and solve/fix/prevent. It did seem a little too contrived and convenient - lucky the guy just happened to be in NY, exactly where the case was going to play itself out :), when they have the whole of the USA to cover.
    I'll watch again if I'm not too busy, but I can't say that missing an ep. or two would be the end of the world. I can see why it was such a hit in the USA, it does seem to be carefully crafted to press all their buttons and to exercise their unique fears and paranoia.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    I've just seen the first episode on 5USA (first time I've ever watched anything on that channel). It reminded me of BBC1's Paradox to some extent. Some mysterious "force" provides an ambiguous level of information that is then left up to a force for good to unravel and solve/fix/prevent. It did seem a little too contrived and convenient - lucky the guy just happened to be in NY, exactly where the case was going to play itself out :), when they have the whole of the USA to cover.
    I'll watch again if I'm not too busy, but I can't say that missing an ep. or two would be the end of the world. I can see why it was such a hit in the USA, it does seem to be carefully crafted to press all their buttons and to exercise their unique fears and paranoia.

It's not like that but you need to stick with it
    but there is no mysterious force and he doesn't just happen to be there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    If I'm not hooked by episode 3, I'm out.

For me, an OK start....But I hope Jim Caviezel lightens up a bit.

Shades of the The Equalizer, I thought, watching this too.

And pleased Natalie Zea was BAD...was hoping she would be in it more.

i don't know why but i just loved jim caviezel in this , watching him made me think of jack reacher ( i know the books are nothing like person of interest !!!) but i just love a character who can go in and sort all the bad guys out single handed!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Watched the first episode thought it seemed a bit rushed but found it fairly enjoyable and will be watching next week.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hints of the main characters back story has got my interest, and overall it grabbed my attention enough to watch next week.....
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    (1) Some mysterious "force"
    (2) provides an ambiguous level of information that is then left up to a force for good to unravel and solve/fix/prevent.
    (3) lucky the guy just happened to be in NY, exactly where the case was going to play itself out,
    (4) when they have the whole of the USA to cover.

Have seen the whole season and looking back... what I liked about the series was how each ep left me with a question, which was then answered in the following ep - and the answers made sense rather than (spoiler alert) an alien did it (there are no aliens in this series).

So methinks your state of "wft, this doesn't make sense" is a great place to be cos clarity will quickly follow, along with other states of equally wtfness. :D
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So todays lesson is "your mileage may vary". After all the negative reviews I watched this with no real expectation. It may be because of that but I really enjoyed it.

Both Reese and Finch have interesting back stories to be fleshed out as the series progresses, I enjoyed the post 9/11 surveillance paranoia theme, and the show has an intriguing plot device of being fed minimal information on a PoI , not even knowing initially whether a potential perp or victim.

It's fast moving, easy enough to follow..I fail to understand the negativity. I'm in for the series.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty good.........only thing is it could be a bit samey, with him saving the day every week
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    It was pretty good.........only thing is it could be a bit samey, with him saving the day every week

Aren't all series a bit samey if you look at it that way, most of them defeat the baddie or kill the monster every week.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the first episode, it wasn't too bad. I never judge something by one episode, lots of series are slow burners.

I will definitely stick with it, he's hot as well, which helps. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I saw the first episode, it wasn't too bad. I never judge something by one episode, lots of series are slow burners.

I will definitely stick with it, he's hot as well, which helps. :D

he is very hot!!;) thats probably why i enjoyed it so much :D
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Aren't all series a bit samey if you look at it that way, most of them defeat the baddie or kill the monster every week.
    Yes, ultimately they are. I reckon it's not the samey-ness that people dislike (even if they cite that as their objection / criticism of a show). It's whether the show is well constructed: decent writing, good characters, shows that treat the audience with a degree of respect.
    If they don't then people tend to find other things wrong with it and blame that - rather than the underlying root-cause.