multi millionaire.... living in the sunshine of LA

Pops over to Blighty to push his autobiog on the chat shows
hoping the plebs will buy it as a christmas present

He must be 70 plus by now !

Comments

• J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the finest comedians the UK has ever produced, IMO :) No wonder he's done so well for himself.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was broke because of all his ex wives.:confused:
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you post a Showbiz thread in the wrong section?

Or are you trolling by making people think John Cleese has just died? (That's the usual assumption when a thread title just contains a name.)
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

Yep, he himself admits that's why he hasn't been able to give up working, he's always paying out in the divorce courts.He may have made multi millions...but hasn't been able to keep hold of it :p
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he owed his ex-wife a fortune so I don't think he's got that much, of course compared to normal people he's still probably lighting up cigars with £50 notes :p
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »

I've read countless times about him saying that all he does the tours for, is to pay his ex-wives off. Isn't that partly why the Pythons did their last show, to help him out?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a thread titled 'John Cleese', thought he had died, opened thread, saw that the was not about his death, felt a wave of relief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you post a Showbiz thread in the wrong section?

Or are you trolling by making people think John Cleese has just died? (That's the usual assumption when a thread title just contains a name.)

That was my first thought. I almost wept.
    John Cleese is a comedy God.
    Fact.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a thread titled 'John Cleese', thought he had died, opened thread, saw that the was not about his death, felt a wave of relief.

he may as well die, he seems to be taking a long time with the next sitcom? :p
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    He must be doing something right....
    multi millionaire.... living in the sunshine of LA

Pops over to Blighty to push his autobiog on the chat shows
    hoping the plebs will buy it as a christmas present

He must be 70 plus by now !
    Quite the opposite, I'd say. The only reason he's still working at 70 plus is, as mentioned, because he's got at least one ex-wife he's court ordered to pay vast sums of money to each month. No different really to millions of others working past retirement just to pay the bills. Just a matter of scale.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    if he d have died I would have titled it John Cleese RIP

Did nt he say that the O2 concert was to pay off legal fees ?
    but I got the impression it was prob legal matters concerning the Python world wide
    business....... I may be wrong
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

You see - I just knew that one day, you would post a comment that I could agree with and I do.:)
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    That was my first thought. I almost wept.
    John Cleese is a comedy God.
    Fact.

I would say "was" a comedy god.

He's not very amusing these days.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I opened this thread fearing John Cleese had died, relieved to hear he hasn't.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    from mem it was a chat show with ...... Taylor Swift... John .... Kevo Pierson...
    and Neil Diamond...

got to admit old Norton and Chatty Man are pulling in all the top celebs these days
    pity the concorde is nt still around to bring them over !
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    While I like John Cleese, not sure "comedy god" is the correct term. He hasn't really done much in the last 35+ years, ok he co wrote one of the greatest sit coms of all time, but that was only 12 episodes. He's a founder of the Pythons but baring the recent tour again nothing for 40 years + and he's done a handful of films again, nothing for what 15 years or so!

Don't get me wrong I love his work but our we looking at it with "rose tinted spectacles"
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, he himself admits that's why he hasn't been able to give up working, he's always paying out in the divorce courts.He may have made multi millions...but hasn't been able to keep hold of it :p

If he acts like he does at home the way he came across on Alan Carr Chatty Man then it's no wonder he can't stay married. The guy came across as a complete and utter prick of the first order and it's not the first time he's been a total idiot on camera. Just recently he seems to be coming across as a total arse in all the interviews I've seen him do. He might be a good comedian but he doesn't seem like a very nice bloke.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, I'd say. The only reason he's still working at 70 plus is, as mentioned, because he's got at least one ex-wife he's court ordered to pay vast sums of money to each month. No different really to millions of others working past retirement just to pay the bills. Just a matter of scale.

Pru? :p
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible Q
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I would say "was" a comedy god.

He's not very amusing these days.

No he's not -Cleesey is a bit past it and a bit of a grumpy old sod .

- was funny mind you .

Welease Woger!
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why this is at all. His only children are 32 and 43 years old so they are long 'sorted'. It seems his third wife an American psychotherapist is the one who really looted him. No children with her but she stuffed him in 1992 for £12 million plus £600k for seven years so a grand total of £18.2 million. Seems this is the one who caused him the most bitterness as he remarked, "what I find so unfair is that if we both died today, her children would get much more than mine".

His first wife, Connie Booth who co-wrote Fawlty Towers with him and played the part of Polly, remains close friends with Cleese who is now 75.

By comparison Michael Palin (71) has been married 48 years and has three children. His net worth is given as $20 million to $245 million depending which site you believe! I imagine the former to be closer to reality than the latter which seems a pretty wild exaggeration.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why this is at all. His only children are 32 and 43 years old so they are long 'sorted'. It seems his third wife an American psychotherapist is the one who really looted him. No children with her but she stuffed him in 1992 for £12 million plus £600k for seven years so a grand total of £18.2 million. Seems this is the one who caused him the most bitterness as he remarked, "what I find so unfair is that if we both died today, her children would get much more than mine".

His first wife, Connie Booth who co-wrote Fawlty Towers with him and played the part of Polly, remains close friends with Cleese who is now 75.

By comparison Michael Palin (71) has been married 48 years and has three children. His net worth is given as $20 million to $245 million depending which site you believe! I imagine the former to be closer to reality than the latter which seems a pretty wild exaggeration.

It's his own fault for marrying an American. American women are apparently self interested monsters when it comes to marriage. Which is probably why MGTOW is becoming such a large movement in America with American men.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting to find him to be bereft of life, pushing up the daisies having gorn and joined the choir invisibule. Glad he isn't.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why this is at all.
    I've read stuff in the past where Cleese has said he's none the wiser either. I daresay it's all out there somewhere, but I assume his ex was canny enough to file for divorce in a State that typically awards very generous settlements.

Works both ways though. A quick Google turned up that Jennifer Lopez paid her ex-husband $14 million. For eight months of marriage.