The Snowmen

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Worked for me and I enjoyed it greatly. I have to say that I also prefer the new TARDIS.

Really looking forward to finding out who Clara really is.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the re-introduction of the Great Intelligence its a shame that one episode each still exists of it's first two appearances in Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

loved the new opening credits [Mats face in it to] loved the new TARDIS loved Strax loved Jenna-Louise, already has potential to be one of the best ever companions , TARDIS parked on a cloud was a bit silly but hey who cares it.'s christmas.over all a very enjoyable episode but please BBC stop crunching up the closing credits
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kissing scene wasn't sexually aggressive and was handled as humour rather than anything passionate. Only someone with a warped mind would think so.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then who was Jenna Louise Coleman playing in the trailer for the upcoming episodes?
    Well it looked pretty clear she wasn't playing a Victorian barmaid/Governess or the junior entertainment officer on a spaceship in the far future.

So that'll be someone else then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Souffle comment - the first of Moff's drip-fed links to AotD?

The first was when he first met her and told her not to change her name.
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Why the hell do we have to wait until April until the net episode?

Surely we can have the second part during Jan and Feb.

Have the BBC really got something better to show?

^^ This. The series may not be complete yet, what with all the editing etc. However, I don't think the powers that be should make us wait months for the next part of seven.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The kissing scene wasn't sexually aggressive and was handled as humour rather than anything passionate. Only someone with a warped mind would think so.

In other words someone who works for the Daily Heil

Goodness know what that esteemed publication made for this episode:

Another Doctor/Companion

An inter-species lesbian marriage

Still, anything that winds up the Daily Heil is fine by me :D
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Agreed - I want to buy a compete Series 7 boxset - not parts 1 and 2 ... I'm waiting AGES!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the episode. I thought Clara was great and cannot wait till the new series starts! I loved the new opening credits and I absolutely love the new interior of the Tardis! 2013 series seems so far away!
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Traditional modern Dr Who Christmas episode really, they got in the gay agenda and attack on Victorian values but this time failed to show how half the population of Victorian London was black, must try better Mr Moffat.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Traditional modern Dr Who Christmas episode really, they got in the gay agenda and attack on Victorian values but this time failed to show how half the population of Victorian London was black, must try better Mr Moffat.

:yawn:

Is there a straight agenda too, then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member

lol whatever
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Agreed - I want to buy a compete Series 7 boxset - not parts 1 and 2 ... I'm waiting AGES!!!!!

The keep button on my Sky+ helps with the pain for me, but I really want it too!!!
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    The keep button on my Sky+ helps with the pain for me, but I really want it too!!!

I think since the Ponds' natural demise I have had to swap out my Sky+ box cos it died most spectacularly!!!
    I would have been bereft!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

Ah yes, one's a snake/lizard woman from the beginning of time, but it's gender that's the sticking point.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    A brilliant Christmas episode but not as Christmassy as we're used to from Moffat.

I loved that they got things running with Clara Oswin Oswald and I can't wait to see where her storyline is going to go in the second half of Series 7 because already it looks fantastic.

Clara and the Doctor already make for a perfect team and blimey, she really can talk, can't she?

I loved the whole Paternoster Gang with Vastra, Jenny and Strax and the loyalty they have with the Doctor as well.

The Great Intelligence was a nice return but Simeon felt a little underused. Still, I get the impression he'll be back in the second half of the series, so can't wait to see him again. Snowmen and Governess Ice lady were creepy enough too.

Wasn't too fussed about Latimer and his family but they were fine enough as characters. Overall though, a 10/10 from me.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Loved the first half to pieces and back. So funny and clever and Clara is just genius casting.

Trailed off toward the end for me. Matt Smith as brilliant as every and all the friends / companions were just brilliant.

Definitely one of the best Xmas episodes ever.

The opening titles I didn't like so much. They were so nearly right, though. The music, too. It felt to me like a test that wasn't quite the finished version.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The final episode hasn't finished filming yet, as far as I'm aware.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for the issue of family show vs children’s show, my only point was that this is intended for children to watch and certainly not just for adults (having originally been conceived as a programme aimed at children).

Which was partly my point too - but mainly that, as a mother of two teenage girls we did not see what you saw. We did not interpret that scene as you did. Nor did my husband (which I think has every age and sex covered pretty much in the family!)
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    I think since the Ponds' natural demise I have had to swap out my Sky+ box cos it died most spectacularly!!!
    I would have been bereft!!!!

I feel your pain, the wait for the full series boxset is unbearable at best, but losing the recordings would have killed me no matter the quality of the episodes!

I am easily the most biased viewer!;)
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    The great Intellignence, an old foe.

On this occasion the Intelligence used mechanical Yetis (pictured, right) and these furry but fearsome robots were deployed again when it invaded Earth decades later. The Doctor was there to defeat them again but this time the front-line was the **** London Underground ****. In the intervening period the Intelligence had apparently failed to perfect corporeal form and the Doctor said the best way to describe it was ‘a sort of formless, shapeless thing floating about in space like a cloud of mist, only with a mind and will’.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The single pan from out on the cloud, to following Clara through the doors and in to the new TARDIS before the grand lights turn-on. That was brilliant.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A welcome return to form, these Victorian London stories are always worth watching and a huge improvement on the last two series. I think now that Amy and Rory have gone, Clara will be much better. Quite enjoyed the snowmen characters.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was really good! Not as good as The Christmas Invasion and A Christmas Carol, and I'm really missing Amy and Rory a lot (especially in the scenes where the Doctor goes to see the pond and in the scenes with "I Am The Doctor," which reminded me so much of the Ponds, as well as of 11. But while I dont like Clara/Oswin nearly as much as Amy/Rory, she is still really brilliant and clearly has lots of potentail, I'm really very intrigued about the deal with the different versions of her, I think she's somehow been scattered across time, like Scaroth.

Anyway, this was a really good episode and one of the best Christmas Specials so far, though the snow people did look silly. I liked all the comedy from Strax/Jenny/the Silurian, and the miserly Doctor, though I think his return and his getting over the Ponds was done a bit rushed and sudden, especially considering he'd spent God knows how long in the TARDIS already! I like Clara, though I cant help but feel we've seen her before, and I dont just mean the whole Oswin thing in AotD. Her whole chheky cocksure attitude thing is something that gets a bit irritating after having it with Rose, Donna, River & Amy. She's good, but I dont take to her as much as I did Amy, and Rory is WAY better. I think she'll be good though and, as I said above, I like the whole scattered in time thing. I just hope the resolution is far better than River's. And, well, may as well say it, she's very attractive, and I almost thought I was getting a late Christmas present in the scene with the cab where she began to change her clothes. :D Unfortunately, the director decided to cut away at that moment, silly director!

Richard E Grant was quite good, though I didnt feel he made much of an impact. Also LOVED the revelation that the alien (Ian Mckellen! Gandalf on Dr Who!:eek:) was the Great Intelligence and hopefully this foreshadows the rumoured return of the Yeti in serues 7.2. One of my favourite things about this as a fan was hwo ti seems to foreshadow the 50th Anniversarry. Not only do we have an old enemy,, but a new TARDIS (which looks absolutely amazing, love the dark silver look etc, and I liek how theres all sorts of things moving in there) and some brilliant new titles (we have the Doctor's face appearing, looks brilliant!:eek::)).

All in all, a fantastic episode, and I loved the trailer for series 7.2 which looks amazing. Sontarans+brilliant new Cybermen! Cabt wait (why it's not on till April is anyones guess)!