Great British Railway Journeys: Series 4

Comments

• XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bradshaws-Canals-Navigable-Rivers-England/dp/1908402148

Bradshaws also did an airline one as well when commercial flying first started.

The European guide he has used would give him enough material for years as it covers Russia, the middle east as well as the whole of Europe.

I imagine they'll be another European series but it needs to be more than 5 episodes. Not sure if Airlines or Canals would work but I could be wrong.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I imagine they'll be another European series but it needs to be more than 5 episodes. Not sure if Airlines or Canals would work but I could be wrong.

I think the canals one might work perhaps for a one off series if he basically lived on the boat and went along the routes. I'm not sure the canals one would offer the same variety as there are fewer miles of canals than railways. But it might be something just for one series.
  • Allan_MorseAllan_Morse Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Has the theme music altered slightly?
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that has struck me, having seen him visit my local area, is that many of the places he visited are nowhere near the railway and would take a good bit of driving to get to. I'm not sure it could be done in one day, what with setting up cameras and suchlike.

Mow Cop is miles away from the railway, and indeed miles away from anywhere! It's a pretty scary drive around single lane roads to get there. Yes, they did mention that it *used* to have a railway, so I'm not complaining, not in the slightest. It's a great series!

What I'm saying is... I don't think it's filmed in sequence, as such. And certainly not in a day.
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be telling us Santa Claus ain't real next.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    One thing that has struck me, having seen him visit my local area, is that many of the places he visited are nowhere near the railway and would take a good bit of driving to get to. I'm not sure it could be done in one day, what with setting up cameras and suchlike.

Mow Cop is miles away from the railway, and indeed miles away from anywhere! It's a pretty scary drive around single lane roads to get there. Yes, they did mention that it *used* to have a railway, so I'm not complaining, not in the slightest. It's a great series!

What I'm saying is... I don't think it's filmed in sequence, as such. And certainly not in a day.

It's a travel book about places mentioned in a 19th century book, Mow Cop did have a railway station nearby at that time so is featured in the book. Most towns had railway stations at that time so could easily be reached by train.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Bridgnorth, 'miscellaneous' as it may be. I never knew it was in Shropshire, confusing it with being in the Somerset or Devon for some reason.

I wish that the older glass that Stourbridge is renowned for had been on display. It's stunning.
  • LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the canals one might work perhaps for a one off series if he basically lived on the boat and went along the routes. I'm not sure the canals one would offer the same variety as there are fewer miles of canals than railways. But it might be something just for one series.
    One of the smaller channels on satellite did a canal version, not with MP and I can't remember who the presenter was, a year or so back it had a similar feeling it ran for 2 or 3 series I think initially it involved getting an old narrow boat back into working condition. then taking it up the canals to its original birth or working home with stops along the way. It was very interesting, well I thought so. More recently the BBC themselves aired a similar thing with a couple of younger guys one being a motorcycle rider, sorry again I forget his name. Quite entertaining but a bit more concerned with him and his colleague trying to reconstruct various old pieces of equipment as they journeyed. The Satellite one was much more in the vein of the MP train one once the renovation was complete.
    Personally I felt the european one suffered for being 60 mins just seemed a tad too long at times but that may just be my dwindling attention span.
    Initially I was a bit concerned at MP due to his political background but after I'd see the first couple of the first series I realised he wasn't going to try and use it as a vehicle for his political leanings and have thoroughly enjoyed them despite not being a train buff in any way shape or form.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's already a series about canals - Julia Bradbury's Canal Walks I think it's called. It's repeated on BBC4 every so often.
  • Jingle_JamesJingle_James Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    One thing that has annoyed me this series are the parts which are filled with the trains he's not travelling on. Like for example, he travelled on the train to Kidderminster from Smethwick, but they showed a train(s) which have no requirement nor can they, run on that particular line.

Apart from that, love this series, even more so as he's went on the route I use for university yesterday. :D
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moondew wrote: »
    There's already a series about canals - Julia Bradbury's Canal Walks I think it's called. It's repeated on BBC4 every so often.

problem with that show it was about her starting in once place and 20 secs later she was 10 miles down the track with nothing about it in between - i thing MP with a Bradshaw guide would do it more justice then Julia did
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treetree wrote: »
    problem with that show it was about her starting in once place and 20 secs later she was 10 miles down the track with nothing about it in between - i thing MP with a Bradshaw guide would do it more justice then Julia did

Yep, a lot of unnecessary footage of Ms Bradbury's arse as she's walking down towpaths.

Similar treatment of that of Ms Bruce, on Antiques Roadshow.

Same director?

Portillo's choice of colours in his clothes, reminds me of some of the passengers in Judy Garland's Trolley Song from Meet Me In St. Louis.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aberystwyth looked gorgeous. Pity he didn't have time to travel north via Harlech to Porthmadog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treetree wrote: »

Several hours travelling down a canal would not make very interesting viewing. Michael Portillo does not show the whole journey between stations, usually a short piece to camera and arriving at the next station with occasionally speaking to some passengers or the ticket inspector.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    moondew wrote: »
    I'm sure MP crossed paths with JB tonight, when she walked the old railway lines.....I'm sure I'd seen that Hotel/B&B, where MP was drinking a Cup of Tea, with the View.

Great end to this weeks Journey too....found the story of Pryce Jones, the most interesting.

And you can't beat a bit of Sea Air.:cool:
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the Cambrian Line on Great British Rail Journeys.

How could MP go to Welshpool, mention the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway (with some old photos) yet not at least go to the edge of the town to see this railway? You can read about it here > www.wllr.org.uk

A pity we had no shots of the centre of Newtown. (Same thing happened in Birmingham with nothing on the wonderful historic buildings in this city).

Great aerial shots of the train but would like to have seen more as it went through the stunning landscape of the Cambrian Mountains. Again, a lack of research led to this programme not making the most of today's route. For example, no mention of the Talerddig Cutting - where the line slices through the watershed between the Severn river system (flowing to the Bristol Channel) & that of the Dovey flowing to the Irish Sea.
    This was the deepest cutting in the world when the line opened. You can read about it here >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_and_Machynlleth_Railway

No shot of the fine Victorian Railway Station at Machynlleth. Obviously, the production team do not appreciate architecture!

Why go several miles north of Machynlleth to Penmaenpool near Dolgellau? Surely, something on the nearby Centre For Alternative Technology would have been more appropriate? In fact, Penmaenpool is located on the Mawddach estuary & could have been included in the stunning Cambrian Coast route had this been covered.

BTW, the Elan Valley reservoirs are quite a way from Devils Bridge via a single track mountain road.

PS. Arriva Trains Wales have a special deal for over 55's until late March. Furthest you can go is Manchester to Pembrokeshire for £17 return!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Just watched the Cambrian Line on Great British Rail Journeys.

How could MP go to Welshpool, mention the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway (with some old photos) yet not at least go to the edge of the town to see this railway? You can read about it here > www.wllr.org.uk

A pity we had no shots of the centre of Newtown. (Same thing happened in Birmingham with nothing on the wonderful historic buildings in this city).

Great aerial shots of the train but would like to have seen more as it went through the stunning landscape of the Cambrian Mountains. Again, a lack of research led to this programme not making the most of today's route. For example, no mention of the Talerddig Cutting - where the line slices through the watershed between the Severn river system (flowing to the Bristol Channel) & that of the Dovey flowing to the Irish Sea.
    This was the deepest cutting in the world when the line opened. You can read about it here >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_and_Machynlleth_Railway

No shot of the fine Victorian Railway Station at Machynlleth. Obviously, the production team do not appreciate architecture!

Why go several miles north of Machynlleth to Penmaenpool near Dolgellau? Surely, something on the nearby Centre For Alternative Technology would have been more appropriate? In fact, Penmaenpool is located on the Mawddach estuary & could have been included in the stunning Cambrian Coast route had this been covered.

BTW, the Elan Valley reservoirs are quite a way from Devils Bridge via a single track mountain road.

PS. Arriva Trains Wales have a special deal for over 55's until late March. Furthest you can go is Manchester to Pembrokeshire for £17 return!

I take your point, but obviously it's very difficult to cover everything in one 30 minute programme.

Personally, I really enjoyed last night's programme, especially the bit about Birmingham's water !!!
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It's a travel book about places mentioned in a 19th century book, Mow Cop did have a railway station nearby at that time so is featured in the book. Most towns had railway stations at that time so could easily be reached by train.

I totally accept that. My point was more to do with the filming schedule. It seems to be presented to the viewer as if he did these things in the order shown, and in just one day. I contend that it's just not possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This little gem, is a 'tonic' on these cold dark evenings.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I'm sure MP crossed paths with JB tonight, when she walked the old railway lines.....I'm sure I'd seen that Hotel/B&B, where MP was drinking a Cup of Tea, with the View.

Great end to this weeks Journey too....found the story of Pryce Jones, the most interesting.

And you can't beat a bit of Sea Air.:cool:

That would be a good comedy sketch. Filming interrupted for MP as JB wanders into shot on her walks. Then you get someone from Countryfile wanting to film an item at the same spot and they all end up arguing! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I totally accept that. My point was more to do with the filming schedule. It seems to be presented to the viewer as if he did these things in the order shown, and in just one day. I contend that it's just not possible.

I doubt whether many travel programmes are shot in sequence and certainly not in the duration of the programme. You have to be careful or the Daily Mail / Mirror will want disclaimers added to the programme just like that have done for David Attenborough's series.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    That would be a good comedy sketch. Filming interrupted for MP as JB wanders into shot on her walks. Then you get someone from Countryfile wanting to film an item at the same spot and they all end up arguing! :D
    Then Adam turns up with more of his Cattle with TB.:eek:

The place where Michael stood on the Balcony was the George the Third Pud B&B. The route Julia was taking, was to Barmouth on the Coast in 2008, I've just found out.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I doubt whether many travel programmes are shot in sequence and certainly not in the duration of the programme. You have to be careful or the Daily Mail / Mirror will want disclaimers added to the programme just like that have done for David Attenborough's series.

It must be a continuity editor's nightmare when they've shot scenes out of sequence and MP is wearing the wrong colour shirt!
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I love this programme, I feel as if I've had a day out after I've watched it. I sometimes wish that it was more than just half an hour long, some of the places he visits are worthy of just a few minutes. I particularly enjoyed the trip on the Severn Valley Railway from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth, such a shame that MP didn't mention that you can see elephants, amongst other animals, on the left hand side just after you leave Bewdley en route to Bridgnorth as the train passes West Midlands Safari Park.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The episode in my area is on January 22nd Dundee to Aberdeen. When he has been to your area you wonder when it was filmed, why you missed it etc.

I hope he doesn't show Dundee Station as its a complete dump and its about to modernised for Victoria & Albert Museum coming here.

When was this series filmed before or after the European one