Wii U media streaming

GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
Forum Member
Does the Wii U stream media (music/movies) from an external HDD out of the box? I use my current Wii mainly as a media centre via the homebrew channel and wii media player but am interested in upgrading to a Wii U. If it can't then I may have to go with the PS4/nextbox.

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »
    Does the Wii U stream media (music/movies) from an external HDD out of the box? I use my current Wii mainly as a media centre via the homebrew channel and wii media player but am interested in upgrading to a Wii U. If it can't then I may have to go with the PS4/nextbox.

Convert a movie to MP4 bung it on ya HDD & try it! :)
  • GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I don't own a Wii U, so that is why I was asking :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »
    I don't own a Wii U, so that is why I was asking :)

Sorry mate misread your OP :o ... I know u can stream MP4 files stored on ya PC through the WiiU net browser ... I just don't know if u can play em straight off the WiiU HDD :( ... I'm sure someone will give u an answer soon :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The WiiU has a "sandboxed" Wii within it and The Homebrew Channel can be installed on this using some of the established software "hacks". Keep in mind, though that since the Wii part is essentially isolated from the WiiU it's probably not what you're after.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies! Could someone with a Wii U stick some music or mp4/avi on a portable HDD or memory stick and give it a try to see if it works?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The WiiU will want to format any external "memory" you plug in to it to its own proprietary file system - you would lose everything on whatever it is you're plugging in anyway.

In addition it doesn't have any kind of built-in media player. This is why people are using URLs to stream limited media formats.
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks for the help :)
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest; would people be willing to pay for a Wii U application that can stream content from their home network?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Out of interest; would people be willing to pay for a Wii U application that can stream content from their home network?

I use TVersity on my xbox360 & would like 2 be able on the wiiu aswell!!! :)