Options

HMV - Closing down sale

Comments

• Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    Lol a closing down sale at HMV would just be them finally selling their stock at normal prices.
    Exactly.

The reason HMV has gone bust is, as someone has said, it just failed to compete. Even before the advent of internet buying - HMV was miles more expensive than its high street counterparts.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Dr No for £11 on Blu-ray? You've been done.

Er, sorry, Dr No on blu-ray was offered for £8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You chose fairly new releases, what were you expecting?

Whether they were fairly new releases is not the point. The very fact that the store was advertising ALL STOCK REDUCED should mean what it says. I would not be at all surprised that HMV may be investigated by Trading Standards for wrongful descriptions under the Trade Descriptions Act.

On the other hand, since they are bust it might not be financially worthwhile to sue them.

Good riddance and well busted HMV!!! They have ripped people off for far too long.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a HMV store which isn't on the closing down list, the Blue Cross for CD/DVD is currently 30%.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    Whether they were fairly new releases is not the point. The very fact that the store was advertising ALL STOCK REDUCED should mean what it says. I would not be at all surprised that HMV may be investigated by Trading Standards for wrongful descriptions under the Trade Descriptions Act.

On the other hand, since they are bust it might not be financially worthwhile to sue them.

Good riddance and well busted HMV!!! They have ripped people off for far too long.

I've seen the posters, in what I thought was fairly large small print they say "Excludes new releases". Trading Standards won't give a shit, especially considering you didn't read the poster fully...
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went in HMV Trocadero today for the first time in about a month.

Picked up the Graham Chapman documentary on blu ray, 3D and 2D version...was marked 10.79 on the price tag, but when I got to the counter I was charged 9.99.

Considering it was a new release 3D blu ray, that seemed a pretty decent price.

I did look through the CD racks, and though there are a lot of CD's marked with the blue cross, a lot of the higher priced and more desirable ones are still same price as before. Looks like they are only reducing the stuff that does not sell very well just to clear the shelves.
  • Options
    robtimusrobtimus Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I've seen the posters, in what I thought was fairly large small print they say "Excludes new releases". Trading Standards won't give a shit, especially considering you didn't read the poster fully...

The posters say no such thing:
    http://static.gigwise.com/artists/hmvireland600.jpg

No where on any of the posters there does it state that new releases are excluded from any of these offers. All the posters are generic closing down sale posters with the exact same design as yhe ones used in Borders and Woolworths

http://moneymoments.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Closing-down-signs-in-a-s-002.jpg
    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2010/9/1/1283363851755/Borders-006.jpg
    http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/woolworths_closing_down_whitley_bay_graham_soult.jpg

My local store has hastily handwritten notices above certain sections which say new releases aren't included, but even then it's not clear what is and isn't reduced. the signs are above displays of releases from the past 4-5 months, and there are other new releases such as Paranorman from the end of January which do have 10% off, but Ice Age 4 & The Simpsons from early December are not reduced
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robtimus wrote: »

No where on any of the posters there does it state that new releases are excluded from any of these offers. All the posters are generic closing down sale posters with the exact same design as yhe ones used in Borders and Woolworths

http://moneymoments.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Closing-down-signs-in-a-s-002.jpg
    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2010/9/1/1283363851755/Borders-006.jpg
    http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/woolworths_closing_down_whitley_bay_graham_soult.jpg

My local store has hastily handwritten notices above certain sections which say new releases aren't included, but even then it's not clear what is and isn't reduced. the signs are above displays of releases from the past 4-5 months, and there are other new releases such as Paranorman from the end of January which do have 10% off, but Ice Age 4 & The Simpsons from early December are not reduced
    Those are a different design to the ones in England, but at the very bottom of the poster, there's a line of white text (which is visible but not readable on the image you posted). Can you confirm what the contents of that white text is? Whilst the Irish ones may not say "excludes new releases" it's more than likely that a similar message appears at the bottom of the poster..

Are the items not individually stickered? They are normally...
  • Options
    robtimusrobtimus Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Those are a different design to the ones in England, but at the very bottom of the poster, there's a line of white text (which is visible but not readable on the image you posted). Can you confirm what the contents of that white text is? Whilst the Irish ones may not say "excludes new releases" it's more than likely that a similar message appears at the bottom of the poster..

Are the items not individually stickered? They are normally...

This isnt my local store, so cant check
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it says "original price"

No, there's a thin line of white text below that at the very bottom of this poster http://static.gigwise.com/artists/hmvireland600.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. The posters in Middlesbrough did not say that either, "excludes new releases"

Its astonishing how they have got away with conning the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »

I agree. The posters in Middlesbrough did not say that either, "excludes new releases"

Its astonishing how they have got away with conning the public.

Actually the design of the poster shown in the image does. They changed my local HMV to that design and it says it in white at the very bottom...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    This "sale" has actually made me glad HMV is closing down, serves whoever sets the prices right. Anyone who actually goes in there and thinks they are getting a bargain is clearly crazy most of the stock is more than double the price you'd pay online on Amazon/Play, sometimes triple!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to the counter in my local with half a dozen DVDs to get priced as I couldn’t make head nor tail of what discount applied to what items. All scanned through at full whack (Dr Who DVDs from 2012 at £19.99 :rolleyes:) except one boxset which knocked 40% (not 70%) off. I left the store without buying a thing as it seems HMV don’t have a clue how to run a closing-down sale.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last weekend for the blue cross sale apparently. Shelves at Trocadero (closing down) were fully stacked. Shelves at Oxford Street (staying open) were half empty (though they did have place cards in the racks for next week's releases).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was in both Argyle street and Buchanan street stores today. X-Men : First Class (single blu-ray) was £8 in Argyle Street (which is closing down) whilst Buchanan street were selling the triple play for £4.99!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went into my town centre main store (not closing) at the weekend and finally managed to bag 3 titles at 70% off (not marked as such, natch - I mean why help the customer....?). Thinking this might mean the same, and other, titles were now discounted at my local store (closing-down remember...) I went back there today (wanting to pick them up for a friend) but two of the same DVDs I’d paid £5.70 and £7.50 for in the town centre store were £22 and £19.99 respectively in the small local store. When I told the till-jockey of the discounts at the other store they grudgingly went to check with the manager and came back saying there was 40% off the first title but nothing further on the other. When I asked why it was only when pressed that they discounted one at 40% (why should I have to ask them?) they took the DVDs and slammed them into the pile to be re-shelved and turned away in a huff. I again left empty-handed.

The sign at the front of the store read “Stock liquidation - Everything must go”. :rolleyes: Yeah, everything must go at twice the price Amazon are selling them for.

Appalling customer service, limited stock and sky-high prices - Not hard to see why they’re closing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    popped in the one in Brum today. What a bag of shit. Only thing that caught my eye was Snowtown, which they were asking £17 for!!! I bought it out of Asda for a fiver, they're seriously taking the piss.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I walked into my local HMV today. Unfortunately, it was closed, and I broke my nose.

DO I WIN A PRIZE?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member

DO I WIN A PRIZE?!

yes, a box of used matches. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    popped in the one in Brum today. What a bag of shit. Only thing that caught my eye was Snowtown, which they were asking £17 for!!! I bought it out of Asda for a fiver, they're seriously taking the piss.

I go in the Brum one a lot. (in town almost every day for uni) and it's got seriously shit the past few weeks. I was in the Merry Hill one last Monday too and walked out because the pleb that was working there was rather rude when I asked if they had Bonnie and Clyde. (I went home and ordered it off amazon)

I was really sad when I found out HMV was going down the pisser but I've lost all sympathy I had for them this past few weeks. Like I said earlier on in the thread why put the prices up for a closing down sale? Shame though because I always found the staff in Walsall nothing but friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame if people are finding the staff unhelpful, even if they're upset that they're losing their jobs. One of the big changes to HMV in recent years was the introduction of more proactive customer service, with staff offering to help customers find items or order them if they were out-of-stock. The "us-and-them" culture of record shops has maybe been a reason people steered clear of them in favour of supermarkets and online shopping, but HMV seemed to be trying to change this.

As for the prices, enough already. The staff don't decide how much to charge. There are probably a few harassed merchandisers in head office trying to make sense of the dwindling stock whilst everyone around them is getting fired. They're surely not actively trying to annoy customers with their prices, but if you're not happy with the discounts, don't buy.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's a shame if people are finding the staff unhelpful, even if they're upset that they're losing their jobs. One of the big changes to HMV in recent years was the introduction of more proactive customer service, with staff offering to help customers find items or order them if they were out-of-stock. The "us-and-them" culture of record shops has maybe been a reason people steered clear of them in favour of supermarkets and online shopping, but HMV seemed to be trying to change this.

As for the prices, enough already. The staff don't decide how much to charge. There are probably a few harassed merchandisers in head office trying to make sense of the dwindling stock whilst everyone around them is getting fired. If you don't like the prices, don't buy.

The shop I was on about with the rude staff member isn't closing down. Like I've said many times though the staff in the walsall branch are always lovely and seem to really enjoy their job so its a shame that they're out on their ear. :(
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Last weekend for the blue cross sale apparently. Shelves at Trocadero (closing down) were fully stacked. Shelves at Oxford Street (staying open) were half empty (though they did have place cards in the racks for next week's releases).

I popped in there today, plenty of copies of Mrs Browns Boys Series 3 on new release today along with Argo, yet as you say there are half empty shelves, the World Cinema section has been reduced to around 30 titles.

The Swap Shop titles have all moved downstairs.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xx~KC~xx wrote: »
    Was in both Argyle street and Buchanan street stores today. X-Men : First Class (single blu-ray) was £8 in Argyle Street (which is closing down) whilst Buchanan street were selling the triple play for £4.99!

Think the Buchanan Street one is the only HMV we will be left with in Glasgow now.

I was going to go into the Silverburn one last night and it has already closed its doors, sad times! I thought they were closing in April. :(