At what age did you start watching?

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'm sorry to tell you that I disagree with your choice as well. My fave is 8.

Thanks for the welcome.
    GDK wrote: »
    Nice to meet you! :)

I'm not sure why 8 would be top of someone's list. It's difficult to judge him fairly as he's only appeared once on TV.

Is it because you've heard him on the Big Finish audio releases?

Sorry, Wiwik, I thought you meant you'd only watched Matt. :)

8 is way up there for me as well! He was so charismatic in the movie, but I love him in the Big Finish stuff. :)
  • Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Nice to meet you! :)

I'm not sure why 8 would be top of someone's list. It's difficult to judge him fairly as he's only appeared once on TV.

Is it because you've heard him on the Big Finish audio releases?
    Yup, I've heard him on the Big Finish stuff. Maybe my opinion would change if he appeared on TV, or maybe he would definately become my favourite. I'm probably never going to find that out.
    As for the why: I think his characted matches best with mine (compared to all the other Doctors) and he seems genuinely sweet, passionate and still very Doctorish. I also think Paul McGann does a great job portraying the Doctor.

But that's off topic...To be on topic, somewhat: How can I remember Doctor Who from old while it wasn't even on tv? I swear I was always aware of Doctor Who, even before I watched it.
  • gareth0151gareth0151 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Well I remember watching the first pertwee episode ... that was in 1970 - and i remember it clear as day ... so that was 1970 - I was born in January 68 - so that puts me at 2!!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing I remember in Dr Who was the stag's head on the wall from Terror of the Zygons.
    So nearly 7. Although I am sure I watched an afternoon repeat of The Sea Devils at a similar time or just after.
  • fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    i was 17
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I remember the medusa snake haired women from what I now know as 'the mind robber' when I was 5! But watched it religiously from i think the Sea Devils... Really obsessed fan watching 'Genesis of the Daleks'
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My earliest Doctor Who memory is Destiny of the Daleks when I was 4. The much slated cliffhanger at the end of episode one was the most terrifying thing I'd ever seen!
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God makes you think, I watched s0101 on 23/11/1963 (also it was shown the following week), at the ripe old age of 15 years and almost 3 months.
    Since then have only missed 15/20 mainly due to holidays.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I first watched in 2005, aged 7. :)
  • g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about 11 when I first saw William Hartnell as Dr Who.

Really remember it as it was first episode. It was broadcast the day after JFK was assassinated. 23.11.63

Remember the following week it was repeated, the announcer (they had proper ones back then :D) saying they were repeating it as so much interest had been shown in the programme! (or something like that)

Never saw the series with Peter Davison or Sylvester McCoy, think I was probably working weekends during those years.

As a kid the Daleks petrified me, when I went to bed I worried about them getting me :eek: I comforted myself with the thought they couldn't get up the stairs but still got a bit worried 'cos they were sneaky blighters.

I would never have slept for years if I'd known that they could levitate! :eek: Must have missed that episode as did'nt know they could levitate until a few years ago.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Interesting-there are some fans who've started watching when Matt Smith was the
    Doctor, and there are also some fans who can still remember watching when
    William Hartnell was the Doc.

Who'd be the Doctors that most people started watching the show with? My guess
    is Jon, Tom and David.

Definitely started in the Troughton era, but probably remember the Pertwee era most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I first watched Doctor Who when I was 10 or under. Ish. It was the TV movie... The second thing I watched was Dr Who and the Daleks before the 2005 series! However my life was Who-ful before that because my dad built a dalek for some reason. You're not a true fan if you haven't had dalek 'eggs' (thanks for the officical terminology, Rory Pond) littering your house :p
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How's the matt Lucas award show being doing this series throughout the first series was awful
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Age 10 in 1963!
    I'm 60 on Sunday......
    :D
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Spearhead from space for me.. No recollection of anything earlier, and yet i never missed an episode after that. Strange that it was such a sudden 'addiction'.
    I'll be 50 this year. On the 23rd of that november month!
    I was a massive fan of the show long before I found that out, and have always loved the connection.
    People ask what i'll do to celebrate my 50th - how do i tell them I'll be watching tv!!! :)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember it being on since I was little, but followed it from Logopolis in 1981, I was 12. I also remember being shocked to hear that there had already been three other Doctors before Tom Baker
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    I think I first watched Doctor Who when I was 10 or under. Ish. It was the TV movie... The second thing I watched was Dr Who and the Daleks before the 2005 series! However my life was Who-ful before that because my dad built a dalek for some reason. You're not a true fan if you haven't had dalek 'eggs' (thanks for the officical terminology, Rory Pond) littering your house :p

Dalek eggs? :eek: ignorant of this lifeform :confused: and terrified that Daleks might even lay eggs :rolleyes: I did a search, not much wiser.

Found a site which gives instructions on how to make a dalek out of an egg. Brace yourself - using a lathe and - wait for it... A Blas-fix one hole egg blower AND wax AND pointy things AND probably all your spare time for the rest of your life.

I think you may also have to give up your job, family and anything else that may hinder you in this great hobby.

But here is a little something, not so demanding and will keep (we hope) the little baby daleks happy and cosy. :p

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dalek-egg-cosy
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching around 6 or 7, I vaguely recall Tegan was in it and something about a snake called the Mara.

I stopped watching when the Colin Baker era dawned as I'd got just old enough to realise it was utter shit, and didn't start watching again until the new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flippin' Dalek eggs grr:mad:

(Was going to add this to my other post but couldn't )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQPy4fdyPw0

10 hours !!! :D:eek::(:mad:cry::yawn::sleep:
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I started watching in spring 2006, not long before series 2 was aired, after I watched 'Rose' via NTL On Demand on impulse. I was 16 then, so I was quite a late starter compared to most Whovians, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one going by a few posts here.

I had dabbled with Doctor Who previously but it was only then I truly got into it. :)
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 4 years old and Peter Davison was the new Doctor. Whenever I think of Doctor Who, it's PD's Doctor I think of. The Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy years tested my love of the show, until I watched stories of the first four Doctors. From watching these, Louise Jameson's Leela became my favourite companion. :)
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I was five in 1963 and saw the first episode
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    My other half has ruled out every Who related name I've suggested

Surely she can't have anything against Sarah-Jane :confused:

They're beautiful names.
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen it from the very beginning, in 1963, with William Hartnell, i was 12
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    27! On the first series - I am old!